Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,496 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Thanks.  I've got that printed out which is what allowed me to get started with Boolean searches.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey, Genie
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   thebigeazy

thebigeazy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Louisiana

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Will these advanced/boolean searches work when searching Youtube?

#143 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Will these advanced/boolean searches work when searching Youtube?

No

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#144 OFFLINE   MarkE

MarkE

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm way late to the party, but I just recently started using the Advanced Search functionality to clean up & consolidate Series Manager entries on my HR24's. This thread and the FAQ document have been a huge help, and I appreciate the digging you guys have done to figure this stuff out.

Last Fall my wife got hooked on the USA Network series White Collar, and has been recording & viewing old episodes like crazy.  They're shown on several different DirecTV channels, and I found a bunch of Series Manager entries where she'd done a Record Series for the show on different channels.  I figured it would be really easy to replace all of them with a single Search entry that would record White Collar when it played on any channel, right?  Wrong!!!

The problem I ran into is that I couldn't find a way to do a search where the Title is exactly "White Collar", with no other words in the title.  I didn't see a way to do it documented in the FAQ and I didn't find anything in the various Forum threads either.  My issue is that there's a Boxing series called White Collar Brawlers, and searches like "AALL WHITE COLLAR TTITLE & Show Type, Series" would pick up both series.  I tried various approaches like putting WHITE COLLAR in parentheses, etc. but I couldn't find a way to do a search that only picked up entries where the title was just WHITE COLLAR. 

If the way to do this is obvious to everyone but me, then I apologize for wasting your time with this post.  I wound up solving the problem by doing the search as "AALL WHITE COLLAR TTITLE NNOT BRAWLERS & Show Type, Series", but I figured it's only a matter of time before another show comes along with a title that'll slip through.  I've worked as a software developer for 30+ years, and it bugged the hell out of me that DirecTV would write a search capability that doesn't provide for something as basic as selecting only entries that exactly match a value! 

I just went back and messed with it again, and discovered that it's as easy as enclosing WHITE COLLAR in single quotes!  A search for 'WHITE COLLAR' TTITLE does exactly what I want - duh!  I hadn't tried it because I knew that the search logic ignores single quotes in searches like AALL LIVE FROM DARYL'S HOUSE TTITLE.  A search of AALL LIVE FROM DARYLS HOUSE TTITLE returns the same results.  I don't think this is mentioned in the FAQ document but I read posts about it and found it to be true in my past searches.  It turns out that they're not ignored if a pair of them is used to enclose a value.

Is my single quote approach the best solution to doing exact matches, or is there a better way?  Should the use of single quotes be documented in the FAQ?

#145 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Is my single quote approach the best solution to doing exact matches, or is there a better way? Should the use of single quotes be documented in the FAQ?

A sequence of words not preceded by AALL or AANY will only be matched if they appear in that exact order. So white collar TTITLE NNOT brawlers should work. I no longer have a DIRECTV box to test the use of single quotes vs. NNOT, but you may be on to something.

Matching an exact string is explained at the bottom of page 3 of the FAQs. Maybe it should be moved up higher?
/steve

#146 OFFLINE   MarkE

MarkE

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

A search for white collar TTITLE NNOT brawlers does meet my need - for today.  The problem is that if a new program gets added to the guide next week called white collar laundry or ironing a white collar, or anything else before or after white collar, it would match and be recorded.  It's an ongoing maintenance hassle to keep the search working as intended.  From my testing, 'white collar' TTITLE appears to only select programs where the entire title is "White Collar".  I don't need to use the NNOT clause to exclude "White Collar Brawlers".  Using an analogy of searching for a file on a computer, it's the difference between searching for xyz.txt and *xyz*.txt.

Both my DVR's are HR24's, so I can't say whether the single quote approach works on other boxes.

#147 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,583 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

Do you have a genie? They have added the ability to record a series from all channels. If not the " is a great find. Also nnot probably will survive because I doubt there's going to be to many white collar titles coming up. You might also try changing it from show type series to get down to drama or whatever category it has listed in its info.

#148 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Do you have a genie? They have added the ability to record a series from all channels. If not the " is a great find.

Agree. If MarkE's use of single quotes does indeed limit an exact phrase match to just the words inside the quotes, it probably should be documented. Wish I could try it, but I'm not a DIRECTV customer ATM.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...