Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big echostart antenna use for reception only

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

I was wondering if it is possible to use the big (huge) Echostar antenna I have out back as a regular HDTV antenna just for local reception as an antenna to pick up my local channels, by connecting the cables to an HDTV? Would their be some simple modifications to make is usable just for reception?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

I guess it's called a C band antenna

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

No, it will not work. The TV would not put out the power to the LNB, and even if it did, the LNB is for 4GHZ signals, and TV is around 0.5GHZ.

You can use a FTA receiver, and replace the LNB on the dish, and use it to pick up some free TV in HD, depending on the condition of the dish.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Is there a quick explanation on these HDTV antennas you buy, why they pick up the HD stations and a regular antenna wouldn't? I mean I see these makeshift antennas made out of coat hangers that pick up HD TV from local stations, which is what I am looking for.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Any antenna designed for TV will pick up HDTV. The only thing you need to determine is if you have any low or high VHF channels in your market. Most antennas labeled HDTV are UHF only, as most stations migrated to UHF. While a UHF only antenna might work if you are close enough to the station, it would be best to get one that covers the channels you want. Check www.tvfool.com and enter your address and/or zip, and it will list the channels, direction, and type of antenna you need at your location.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks.... I know I receive HDTV as well as analog and I know where the transmitters on the mountain are.. I just wanted to make sure the dish cables connected to the tv would work instead of buying an HDTV antenna..

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

"HDTV antennas" are nothing but marketing hype! The OTA signals are still broadcast on the same TV bands as before the analog/digital conversion, except many stations are on different channels (i.e. my channel 3 is on OTA channel 17 but they still i.d. them selves as "ch 3", that is a "virtual channel").

So if you had a VHF/UHF antenna already on your roof chances are it will still work just fine receiving digital signals.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

yeah, but if I can find the manual for the SRD 4000 echostar to connect the cables to the receiver correctly, I can get wild feeds and see what I can do with it. I know it works, I just lost the manual.

#9 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

yeah, but if I can find the manual for the SRD 4000 echostar to connect the cables to the receiver correctly, I can get wild feeds and see what I can do with it. I know it works, I just lost the manual.

Here is Handbook for you http://www.scribd.co...0-Tech-Handbook

#10 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thank you.. much appreciated... already downloaded the scribble earlier. Typical tech scribble HA... Doesn't show diagrams of cable hook ups :-(

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Cable from the Dish would go to the LNB/SAT in port on the back of the receiver. What other cables do you have to connect?

#12 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

There are three cables, one coax, and real thick one and a real small one coming from the LNB

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Maybe you could take a picture of the ends of the three cables together there. If you had the brand name of the LNB, that would help. Basically, older C band dishes had one coax cable for the signal, a pair of 2 or 4 wires to control the polarity (polorotor), and possibly another one to control the dish drive arm to change its positions.

In current equipment, all three of those functions are performed with one cable, or one cable plus the drive arm, depending on the style.

#14 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Yes I can take a pic. I will do that and post. You are right, I believe one of the cables at least go to the extra box labeled dish mover. I don't know if I can get the name of the LNB, other than the dish itself in the center has HUGE letters Echostar :-)

#15 OFFLINE   ladyharley

ladyharley

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

http://s120.photobuc...nt=101_1421.jpg

http://s120.photobuc...nt=101_1420.jpg >>>>> COAX CABLE AND THIN GREY CABLE. to LNB

http://s120.photobuc...nt=101_1419.jpg >>>> thick cable from arm (guessing this connects to the dish mover box)

http://s120.photobuc...rrent=cband.jpg

http://s120.photobuc...nt=101_1423.jpg >>>>>>grey wire have 4 like telephone wire.

http://s120.photobuc...nt=101_1424.jpg >>> transceiver

http://s120.photobuc...nt=101_1425.jpg >>>> rear of transceiver and dish mover.

The ends don't have connectors, so not sure....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...