Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish AutoHop vs Networks Commercial Skipping Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
694 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Having seen Sling advertised elsewhere, I wasn't even sure it was a Dish product.

So, did Dish develop it or buy it? If they bought it, why didn't/doesn't Murdoch go after the source?

Sling was originally a company that made peripherals that could work with any set top box. Echostar saw this and liked what they saw so they bought out Sling.

Sling still sells there own hardware that works with any provider, Dish just bought the company so that they could put there own spin on the tech lol.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Your right Nick! I do exactly that every time a DISH commercial starts.

You must be fat. :lol:
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#283 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Having seen Sling advertised elsewhere, I wasn't even sure it was a Dish product.

So, did Dish develop it or buy it? If they bought it, why didn't/doesn't Murdoch go after the source?

Sling was an independent company that developed and built it, and then sold to echostar, the hardware arm of dish, although I do believe that dish and echo start are considered to completely different companies now and that may have happened after sling was bought.

#284 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

I think this lawsuit boils down to one question. When someone skips a commercial with their remote by pressing fast forward or skip, they are actively and purposefully skipping that commercial, on their own. What dish has done is make it so dish now alters the stream that you see and they are the ones actively altering what you are viewing, without you actively participating in that changing of the viewing stream. That's a big difference. Is it ok for a company to actively change what you see, without any input from you each time it changes what the original stream is?

I don't see how this isn't a copy right violation, because dish has created something that alters your viewing stream without active participation from the viewer, who is the only one that has the right to manipulate the viewing stream under copy right rules as I understand it. Can anyone point out how it's ok for a provider to alter the viewing stream of a broadcaster and it not be a copyright violation?

If they had just made it so it was one button push as soon as a commercial started and it would jump to the end of that block of commercials, I don't think the networks would have anything to stand on, but this is so different.

And sling part is a joke. Everyone is now trying to get their streaming content in their contracts, so they want to get rid of the sling loophole so they can try and force dish and everyone else to pony up more money for their shows. Sling is not rebroadcasting a show to everyone, just the person who owns the rights to view the content in the first piece. Back in the day, it'd be like taking a VCR recording with you to a friends house and watching it there. I don't see FOX winning that part.

#285 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Do the networks hold the rights to the combination of their programming and the commercials?

I don't recall that anyone went after JVC for offering a commercial skip feature on their VCRs back in the day. It worked much the same way: commercials appeared when watching live and were marked with in and out points after the recording had completed.

This doesn't go nearly as far as the self-righteous movie rental companies that engage in editing the daylights out of movies to remove the content that they find objectionable (this has withstood some pretty serious legal wrangling).

Interesting point.

How about the actual broadcasting channels "editing for content"?

If they determine what I'm "allowed to watch", why can't I determine what I want to watch?

What's the matter, don't like the shoe on the other foot?

Edited by satcrazy, 28 May 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#286 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,173 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

There is no editing of programming content. DVR users simply have the ability to skip parts (or all) of recorded content.

It's no different than (not then) if, when a commercial starts, you get up and walk to the kitchen for a snack.

Your right Nick! I do exactly that every time a DISH commercial starts.

You're

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#287 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Sling was an independent company that developed and built it, and then sold to echostar, the hardware arm of dish, although I do believe that dish and echo start are considered to completely different companies now and that may have happened after sling was bought.

Headscratching is not necessary. Sling was purchased prior to the split.

http://www.slingmedi...slingmedia.html

http://techcrunch.co...ling-top-boxes/

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#288 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

How about the actual broadcasting channels "editing for content"?

It is quite likely that any kind of edited content must have the approval of both the owners and the censors.

I don't believe that the combination of a program and the commercials that it shows with is copyrighted. I think you would see a lot fewer clips of Superbowl commercials floating around if it were.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#289 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

I think this lawsuit boils down to one question. When someone skips a commercial with their remote by pressing fast forward or skip, they are actively and purposefully skipping that commercial, on their own.

Do you also believe that proxy voting should be outlawed? Turning your skipping preferences over to a device seems a very similar delegation.

Whether you choose once or each break, you've still made the choice.

#290 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

It is quite likely that any kind of edited content must have the approval of both the owners and the censors.

I don't believe that the combination of a program and the commercials that it shows with is copyrighted. I think you would see a lot fewer clips of Superbowl commercials floating around if it were.

Often programming is edited for time, so they can insert MORE commercials.

More commercials = less incentive for me to watch.

Yeah, it's all about control, but in the end, I can change the channel,or shut it off.

[Now with nice weather, that'll be much easier to do]

Edited by satcrazy, 28 May 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#291 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

You must be fat. :lol:

Wrong again genius. I snack on fruit or raw vegetables. As I posted on another thread I'm in my sixties. My height is 72'', weight 200lbs. I meet the Army's weight standard for a man of my years and can still pass their PT test.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#292 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

You're

Got me again Mr. Grammar Police.

#293 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Got me again Mr. Grammar Police.

You forgot the comma!!!!!! :D

Help stamp out repetition, gratuitous apostrophe's, and NEEDLESS, redundant, and UNNECESSARY CAPITALIZATION, **along with** superfluous *EMPHASIS*!!!! And tautological statements which waste space and can be repetitive or even wordy in and of themselves.

These are *THE* internet *SCOURGES'*, along with exclamation point's!!!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#294 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

You forgot the comma!!!!!! :D

Help stamp out repetition, gratuitous apostrophe's, and NEEDLESS, redundant, and UNNECESSARY CAPITALIZATION, **along with** superfluous *EMPHASIS*!!!! And tautological statements which waste space and can be repetitive or even wordy in and of themselves.

These are *THE* internet *SCOURGES'*, along with exclamation point's!!!

My attorney's garmmar is worse than mine. When I point it out to him he reminds me he gets payed the big bucks to handle my affairs. His secretary makes a modest living correcting his grammar. :D

#295 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Do you also believe that proxy voting should be outlawed? Turning your skipping preferences over to a device seems a very similar delegation.

Whether you choose once or each break, you've still made the choice.

Could you please find a relevant statement to make. Proxy voting is not at all the same thing.

#296 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

My attorney's garmmar is worse than mine. When I point it out to him he reminds me he gets payed the big bucks to handle my affairs. His secretary makes a modest living correcting his grammar. :D

Heh. I have no idea why some of us find speling and grammer easy, and others don't. I've paid attention long enough to the gratuitous use of apostrophes in the possessive "its" that I expect to see it a dozen times a day. I've even noticed it in a bronze plaque, and carved in granite. And I take litttle for granite these days! :rolleyes:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#297 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Heh. I have no idea why some of us find speling and grammer easy, and others don't. I've paid attention long enough to the gratuitous use of apostrophes in the possessive "its" that I expect to see it a dozen times a day. I've even noticed it in a bronze plaque, and carved in granite. And I take litttle for granite these days! :rolleyes:

Very eloquenty stated.

#298 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,188 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ok ... let us see more posts on the DISH vs the networks - and less (preferably zero) posts about each other's posts (grammar, personal comments, etc).

#299 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Moderator reminder... this is not the spelling and grammar thread, nor is it the attack-each-other thread.

Please stick to the topic.

Thanks!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#300 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

I think this lawsuit boils down to one question. When someone skips a commercial with their remote by pressing fast forward or skip, they are actively and purposefully skipping that commercial, on their own. What dish has done is make it so dish now alters the stream that you see and they are the ones actively altering what you are viewing, without you actively participating in that changing of the viewing stream. That's a big difference. Is it ok for a company to actively change what you see, without any input from you each time it changes what the original stream is?

Not quite. The consumer must still CHOOSE to use the Auto-hop feature. It's not automatic.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

spam firewall