Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish AutoHop vs Networks Commercial Skipping Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
694 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   TvilleBee

TvilleBee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Will they outlaw ad blockers for the internet too??? We're flooded w/ so much advertising everywhere that it's absurd...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

^^ Don't give'em any ideas.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#43 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

The networks, by charging DISH and DirecTV to "retransmit" their signals, are already making more money than they should. We shouldn't have to also sit through commercial after commercial.

I always fast forward through commercials, and always will. DISH is just making it easier for their customers to do so. They are already limiting it to next day viewing, that should have been enough to placate them.

#44 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

I bet they could put this ad zapper feature in older model DVR's as well.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#45 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Threads merged.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#46 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I bet they could put this ad zapper feature in older model DVR's as well.

No doubt, but it makes a great selling point for existing customers to upgrade, does it not?

#47 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Exactly.

has anyone seen at least a "clever" commercial lately? 99.9% of them are incredibly stupid.

Only a few but even the clever ones become annoying after you've seen them 83 times. (except for, of course, the Victoria's Secret ones.:grin:)

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#48 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

The networks have their heads in the sand. The barn door has been open since DVR technology came along. I almost never watch commercials anyway - I skip them and rarely (less than once a week, and less than once a month for more than five minutes) watch live television. I love the auto hop not because it lets me skip commercials, but because it makes it quicker and more accurate.

Oddly, the NASCAR race on Saturday did not have auto-hop enabled, even two days later.

You must be a youngster. That ability has been around since the VCR was invented. It just keeps getting easier. First the skip button on remotes and now with auto hop we don't even have to exercise our thumbs.

#49 OFFLINE   FilmMixer

FilmMixer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Why do we have to be force-fed them? Especially at obnoxiously higher decibel levels? The tv industry is still dragging their feet on that one.

Unfortunately the networks did nothing on their own, so the government has stepped in...

The unfortunate side effect has been stricter regulation by some content makers that I work for in also reducing the dynamic range of the regular content...

The CALM Act

Q: Does the FCC currently regulate loud commercials?
A: The Commission adopted rules on December 13, 2011 that will require commercials to have the same average volume as the programs they accompany. The rules will become effective on December 13, 2012, 1 year after the date of their adoption. This gives broadcast television stations and pay TV providers until this date to be in full compliance.

#50 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I fully admit I don't have a Hopper, but this is something that potentially affects all of us.

My main thing is that those using the Hopper and skipping the commercials generally were anyway. Same thing with a lot of other Dish and DirecTV customers either by fast forwarding or using a 30 second skip.

If the networks end up putting contrived ads into programming with awkward dialog (like Fox did on Bones), it will drive viewers nuts.

Integrated ads haven't been used much for many years, but it isn't something new at all. I can vaguely remember some old crime show from the black & white days that slipped ads in when a character would go into the tobacco shop for Model pipe tobacco (that comes to mind, maybe other brands/products too). Those are much harder to skip since they weren't really fixed in time and often were made part of the story line.

Maybe that is an approach the broadcasters can use.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#51 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Unfortunately the networks did nothing on their own, so the government has stepped in...

The unfortunate side effect has been stricter regulation by some content makers that I work for in also reducing the dynamic range of the regular content...

The CALM Act

So you are saying they implemented a work-around by lowering the sound of programming so the commericials at "normal"[?] levels will still be louder than the programming, correct? [ you will have to turn up sound for regular programming, making the commercials loud anyway, so much for government intervention]

Unbelievable.

and the networks are PO'd at Dish? Are the inmates running the asylum?

Don't they realize that the louder and more inane the commercials are the faster people will skip or mute them?

IMO the hopper"s work-around is the answer.

I can remember only a handfull of commercials in the last 10 to 15 years I would watch because they were done well.

Even they got boring by being aired too many times like Grandude said.

#52 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

You must be a youngster. That ability has been around since the VCR was invented. It just keeps getting easier. First the skip button on remotes and now with auto hop we don't even have to exercise our thumbs.

Oh, I time shifted with VCRs, starting in 1984. But VCR recordings looked horrible compared to live television. And you had to wait for the program to finish before watching it, and couldn't watch a recorded program while another recording was happening. DVRs fixed both problems, which is when it became practical to record a football game and skip commercials and halftime.

#53 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

So you are saying they implemented a work-around by lowering the sound of programming so the commericials at "normal"[?] levels will still be louder than the programming, correct? [ you will have to turn up sound for regular programming, making the commercials loud anyway, so much for government intervention]

Unbelievable.

and the networks are PO'd at Dish? Are the inmates running the asylum?

Don't they realize that the louder and more inane the commercials are the faster people will skip or mute them?

IMO the hopper"s work-around is the answer.

I can remember only a handfull of commercials in the last 10 to 15 years I would watch because they were done well.

Even they got boring by being aired too many times like Grandude said.

Just another good reason to skip them or leave the room and do something else while the commercials are on.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#54 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

http://news.cnet.com...t-skipping-ads/

During a panel here at the National Cable and Telecommunications Association's annual tradeshow, Zaslav told CNN's Erin Burnett that the new feature Dish Network introduced recently on its Hopper DVR, which skips advertising during shows that are recorded from broadcast TV could disrupt the industry in a negative way. He said the model is unsustainable since content owners need the advertising revenue to help pay the cost of the content they offer.
"Charlie Ergen and Dish are a distributor of content," he said. "They need us to reach homes with our content. And if there is not going to be advertising fees, then there needs to be a lot higher subscriber fees."
The new Hopper DVR users an ad erasing technology that is embedded in the device. Once turned on, the technology will erase all the advertising that has been recorded on TV shows that air over broadcast TV channels. So far, Dish has limited the technology to broadcast TV channels only.

----------
Things are going to get very interesting :)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#55 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

The games afoot.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

He said the model is unsustainable since content owners need the advertising revenue to help pay the cost of the content they offer.

I'll be much more supportive of that position when I see that Execs from the various entities are no longer taking home multi-million dollar salaries.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#57 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm sorry, does having AutoHop enabled somehow siphon the money out of your account, Mr. CEO? No? Great. Shut up.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#58 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'll be much more supportive of that position when I see that Execs from the various entities are no longer taking home multi-million dollar salaries.

And besides that, it's like double payments we as customers are making. looking at what we are paying for ESPN today through me for a loop, then they expect us to watch commercials as well. :lol: Cable will be going the way of the dinosaur if this price gouging keeps up. We will only be Lemming for a certain time, then we riot err I mean stop paying all together

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#59 OFFLINE   farmerdave4

farmerdave4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Maybe this is be Charlies payback for having to paying higher fees than Cable companies do for all these years. Play fair are we remove your commercials. :D

#60 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Even though FFW'd is around an used by all, marketing a feature that bypasses their ads, which are already hurting, is just not a smart move in this market.

I think you'll see more disputes because if it, or it will be disabled on all or some of the channels which I assume they could pick and choose with software changes.

I dont think the feature is gonna last, I also dont see it as something a user really needs, it's just pissing off networks. Thats my 0.02 anyways.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...