Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish AutoHop vs Networks Commercial Skipping Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
694 replies to this topic

#661 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,808 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I first heard about the Hopper while watching DirecTV. That ad sparked curiosity and I came here to learn more. So glad I saw that ad!

You've been an active member here for 3 years, where talk of the Hopper has predated any commercial for it, but you first heard of it on tv?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#662 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

You've been an active member here for 3 years, where talk of the Hopper has predated any commercial for it, but you first heard of it on tv?

Yeah.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#663 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

He was on the other side of the fence at the time.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#664 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,808 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

You still have a hard time missing front page news here and tech site news... especially with such a badass game changing piece of equipment.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#665 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

I sure hope you mean that I was with DirecTV. :lol:
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#666 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Well yeah...where's any other fences around here? :P

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#667 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well yeah...where's any other fences around here? :P

Well, it is more like a line of bollards. People can swing both ways across the line. It usually isn't a problem as long as they are polite whichever side they are posting on. And they remember the topic of the thread. :)

#668 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Well, it is more like a line of bollards. People can swing both ways across the line.

More like one of these. Clickety-clacking back and forth without really getting anywhere.

Posted Image
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#669 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,298 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

You have to admire Charlie's ability to reach out and embrace wider social issues. From The Hollywood Reporter:

At a congressional hearing Wednesday, Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen offered up a new reason why the ad-skipping AutoHop should be permissible. "Allowing your kids to watch TV doesn’t have to mean they have no choice but to see commercials for junk food and alcohol," he said.

...Ergen defended the service as "nothing more than improving upon existing, legally-accepted, and widely available technologies that give consumers the ability to record their television shows for playback at a more convenient time."

The comments came at a "future of video" hearing before the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee.

EDIT: The LA Times article explains more about what the hearing was about but also has this gem:

Ergen did take some heat for the AutoHop from Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), who expressed concern that the feature would harm political advertising.

"I hope you understand my skepticism about Dish’s latest offering and its effect on the future of video," Dingell said.

Ergen replied: "I’m not a politician. I certainly understand consumers."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#670 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ergen replied: "I’m not a politician. I certainly understand consumers.

I love this man! :D
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#671 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I love this man! :D

Me too. He loves to fight for truth, justice and the American way. Here's more about his exchange with Dingell:

But Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), a longtime advocate of local broadcasting, took the opposite view.

"The Hopper potentially limits the ability of every member of this subcommittee ... to reach constituents with ads to help them make up their minds," Dingell said.

Dingell cut off Ergen when he tried to defend his company's video service, and the senior Democrat called for order when Ergen tried to talk over him.

Edited by phrelin, 27 June 2012 - 11:47 PM.
typo

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#672 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Isn't cutting someone off when they are talking a live-version of AutoHop? ;)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#673 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Isn't cutting someone off when they are talking a live-version of AutoHop? ;)

!rolling

#674 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Just in case this conversation might die, the LA Times Company Town - The Business Behind The Show column/blog brought it up again with a rehash more oriented to the big media company view and this reminder:

On Monday, a New York Court is expected to determine whether the case between Dish and ABC, CBS and Fox will be heard in New York or Los Angeles.

My AV Setup

#675 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just in case this conversation might die, the LA Times Company Town - The Business Behind The Show column/blog brought it up again with a rehash more oriented to the big media company view and this reminder:

It was ruled that the neworks lawsuit could proceed in California.

http://www.hollywood...it-judge-346574

#676 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

It was ruled that the neworks lawsuit could proceed in California.

http://www.hollywood...it-judge-346574

Yeah, I just saw that. The full ruling is here. Interesting reading.

The THR article summarizing the situation says:

A federal judge in New York has ruled that Fox, NBC, and CBS should be allowed to pursue their high-profile legal dispute over Dish Network's controversial ad-skipping device in California.

...The judge is dismissing without prejudice Dish's complaint as it pertains to Fox's copyright and contract claims as well as CBS/NBC's copyright claims. Dish's lawsuit against CBS and NBC over contract issues will continue in New York as those issues weren't asserted in California. Additionally, Dish's is being given the go-ahead to pursue declaratory action against ABC that it hasn't breached copyright or violated a contract. ABC was the only major network not to bring a lawsuit, though it has signaled that it intends to file counterclaims.

...Dish had the following statement about today's development:

“Regardless of the venue, we look forward to proceeding with this case,recognizing that it has been 28 years since the Supreme Court’s “Betamax” decision held that a viewer, in the privacy of their home, could record a television show to watch later. The Court ruled that ‘time-shifting’ constituted a fair use of copyrighted television programming. Those Betamax users could permissibly fast-forward through commercials on recorded shows – just as DVR users do today. DISH will stand behind consumers and their right to skip commercials, something they have been doing since the invention of the remote control.”

Edited by phrelin, 09 July 2012 - 04:41 PM.
Added the THR quote

My AV Setup

#677 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Oh joy. So there will be active cases on both coasts deciding the different parts of the issue?

#678 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

There have been some recent software updates on the Hopper that should be noted.

As before, PTAT is not enabled when a new Hopper is installed.
When the user activates PTAT they choose the channels (one or all four) of the major network channels they want to record.
When the user activates PTAT they choose the days of the week (one or all seven) they wish to record programs.
When the user activates PTAT they choose how long to keep the programs ... choices range from 2 to 8 days.

It is more than just an on-off switch.

As for AutoHOP, I have noticed that the default is now "no". When playing back an AutoHOP enabled program the "use AutoHOP" was default ... now "no" is default.

#679 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

From http://paidcontent.o...al-positioning/

Dish's latest Hopper tweak reeks of legal positioning

By Daniel Frankel

Jul. 26, 2012, 1:56pm

Facing a legal showdown with the broadcast networks over commercial-skipping features in its digital video recorders, Dish Network has quietly made several operating-system tweaks designed to put the ad-circumvention process more in the hands of the user.

This could be crucial in the satellite's legal battle with broadcasters over these features, given that subscribers now have more control of how they're used.

(Please visit the link for more...)

Edited by Mojo Jojo, 26 July 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#680 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

IANAL so can't really comment on the legal ramifications of these changes, but I find them very useful and don't see why DISH wouldn't have implemented them anyways.

spam firewall