Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish AutoHop vs Networks Commercial Skipping Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
694 replies to this topic

#681 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Paid content.org is just a glorified blog with more Google weighting.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#682 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Is it just me or has the autohop delay also increased. I find that my system plays most of the first commercial at each break and am now regularly hitting the forward skip to engage autohop. Not a huge deal but each time I am having to advance to the point where it autohops. Zero putton pushes have now become at least one button push for each commercial break.

#683 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Yes it has; it was introduced in the latest firmware update.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#684 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

IANAL so can't ...

Unless you need a Proctologist, what are you talking about?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#685 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

IANAL so can't ...

Unless you need a Proctologist, what are you talking about?

IANAL = I am not a lawyer.

#686 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Interesting article from one of the industry bibles today, TVNewscheck....

Jessell at Large
Take Your Cue From Moonves: Skip Dish
All broadcasters should follow the lead of CBS's Leslie Moonves and threaten to use their retrans clout to come down hard on Dish Network and the Auto Hop commercial-skipping feature of its Hopper DVR. Allowing subscribers to skip all spots in recorded programs at the touch of a button is a broadcasting killer.

Entire article: http://www.tvnewsche...s And Skip Dish

(or)

http://tinyurl.com/9t9mrh8

CBS appears to be ready to drop Dish as a distributor come contract time and is urging the three others to do the same.

(If this has already been started, please point me there, thanks!)

#687 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

CBS is in a weird place... in that they could only really threaten to pull local stations that they own and operate.

On a related note.

I'm surprised (and maybe they already have) the networks wouldn't make a big deal out of AutoHop ONLY working for the "big 4" ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX....

If you read Dish's reasoning that they believe people should be able to watch TV however they want... then why didn't Dish make AutoHop work for ALL commercial channels?

The fact that they are singling out the "big 4" shows that Dish isn't really on the customer's side in this... they are just leveraging against the traditional OTA channels.

That is bound to come up in the courts if this thing goes very long.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#688 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

This is much ado about nothing. I rarely find myself with an opportunity to use autohop anyway. When I do the current additional delay that has been inserted by Dish almost always means an additional button press anyway.

The most Autohop has saved me is a few button presses on the rare occasion that I find a show that I actually care about on a channel that is supposed to be free but yet I have to pay a monthly fee for. The networks execs can stick their lawsuit where the sun does not shine!

#689 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have noticed that Auto-Hop is becoming available earlier in the evening. I have Auto-Hopped programs recorded at 8pm or 9pm before 11pm. This places more value on the function ... and likely ticks off OTA broadcasters more.

#690 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I have noticed that Auto-Hop is becoming available earlier in the evening. I have Auto-Hopped programs recorded at 8pm or 9pm before 11pm. This places more value on the function ... and likely ticks off OTA broadcasters more.

Let them get ticked - if they weren't shoving nearly 1/3 of the programming time with ads, it wouldn't be an issue.
IMO, anyway...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#691 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Let them get ticked - if they weren't shoving nearly 1/3 of the programming time with ads, it wouldn't be an issue.
IMO, anyway...

Yep, and they keep pushing the envelope. What was 45 minutes (or more) of programming is now 42 minutes (or less), obnoxious and distracting lower third graphics, over the top product placement with obvious, inane scripting, and on and on. The auto-hop feature ought to be instantaneous and expanded to more channels. The networks started it, not Dish.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#692 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

45 minutes? Heck, when I startd watching it was *51* minutes per hour (confirmed when I saw the running times of Star Trek episodes on VHS) and I distinctly remember there being a discussion from time to time of "how much is too much" with regards to commercials.

#693 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Bottom line, though... without those sold commercial spots, most of the TV shows people like wouldn't be produced... UNLESS we all paid $10-$15 per channel like for commercial-free networks like HBO...

Going back to the earliest days of TV, it was corporate sponsors that made broadcast TV possible.

#694 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Also, ESPN has done something kind of cool that I wish other networks and shows would try... If you watch Around the Horn or Pardon the Interruption... during their commercial breaks they throw in some behind the scenes clips and things that happen between takes... and if you skip commercials you miss those. I thought it was ingenious to throw in those things because I want to watch them, so I don't skip the commercials during those shows.

That explains what I saw during the RNC & DNC on FNC. When commercials were shown there was a PIP window with the live action at the podium. At the time I thought what's up with that? After reading this thread I now understand why that PIP window was used. (if someone else commented earlier I apologize - I skipped ahead 28 pages, this is the first day I paid attention to this thread).

#695 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

New thread and press release for a ruling in FOX vs Dish AutoHop... Closing this thread, please resume discussion in the new ongoing thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=210205

Protected By... spam firewall...And...