Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish AutoHop vs Networks Commercial Skipping Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
694 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

I agree with James. This will only fan the flames for the retrans fees. In the end, we will be paying more for content because of this feature.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'll be much more supportive of that position when I see that Execs from the various entities are no longer taking home multi-million dollar salaries.

+1

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#63 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'll be much more supportive of that position when I see that Execs from the various entities are no longer taking home multi-million dollar salaries.

+1

Agreed but
Not in our life time :lol:

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#64 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

I am wondering how it knows where the ads are. If it is some signal, couldn't they just stop transmitting the ad start/stop signal?

#65 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

marketing a feature that bypasses their ads, which are already hurting,

They're not hurting. The entertainment industry is one of the few that has been going strong for the last few years while almost everybody else was hurting.

They're hurting us by extorting higher fees. We're not hurting them by not watching commercials. They get paid for the commercials whether anyone watches them or not.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#66 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

The ad revenue is hurting, which is why you see $2.99 an episode on digital fronts and now higher licensing fees. Sure, CSB for example is doing well because of online sales and higher fees for their channels, but if you add a feature that further hurts ad revenue, that equals higher licensing fees down the road in my mind.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#67 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I am wondering how it knows where the ads are. If it is some signal, couldn't they just stop transmitting the ad start/stop signal?

I would think so

And now that I think of it, wasn't there some kind of VHS VCR recorder that knew when to pause out commercials back in the mid 90's but never really worked?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#68 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Sounds like they've been talking to the RIAA / MPA legal team. :nono2:
They're probably working on a way to subpoena your provider for records on how many commercials you've skipped. Then they'll sue for the damages for every Shark Vacuum and Activia you didn't buy. :lol:

#69 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

The ad revenue is hurting....

If so, it's because less people are watching, moving to on-line methods, or DVDs or other methods, or just not watching TV at all, not because they're skipping commercials (which many have been doing since the first VCRs came out).

#70 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Sounds like they've been talking to the RIAA / MPA legal team.

Apparently, so has the Supreme Court......

http://www.bloomberg...high-court.html

#71 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

If so, it's because less people are watching, moving to on-line methods, or DVDs or other methods, or just not watching TV at all, not because they're skipping commercials (which many have been doing since the first VCRs came out).

Comparing todays DVR functions and use to VCR's is laughable at best. People are watching a lot less live TV than they used too, which devalues commercials. Im not defending them in any way, its just a fact. I got my first one tuner Dish DVR back in the day, and most people I knew didnt even have one.

FFW'd to now, everyone I know with video service has a DVR. People paying for commercials realize this, so they expect to pay less. When this happens, CBS, etc... have to find other ways to produce costly series, plus other experimental shows that never make it. So when ad revenue decrease like it has lately, someone is going to pay. Going out of your way to make an obvious feature to bypass ads (which offers little value to a customer), is dumb, period. Their negotiating stance just took a hit when it comes to retrans fee time. As commercials are devalued, who pays for it? Us.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#72 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Apparently, so has the Supreme Court......

http://www.bloomberg...high-court.html

I lost faith in that group a long time ago.

#73 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Since the Hopper doesn't offer the ability to automatically skip commercials on anything but local broadcast network channels during the prime time hours, why is the Discovery CEO advertising for Dish?

And I'll mention again the Hollywood Reporter article How the TV Industry Blew Its Best Chance to Kill Dish's Ad-Skipping Technology.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#74 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Then they'll sue for the damages for every Shark Vacuum and Activia you didn't buy. :lol:

But I bought a Shark Vacuum (really good vacuum btw). Does that exempt me?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#75 OFFLINE   lacruz

lacruz

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Great, another Dish Lawsuit on the horizon, which ultimately means higher subscriber fees to pay Charlie's lawyers.

#76 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

I am not sure this will come to lawsuits. I think its more likely to come to them not being able to get any more licensing deals without the new carriage deals expliciting saying, no more autohopp, or you pay me 10 times as much to have it on your service.

#77 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Companies wonder why not enough people watch their ads resulting in loss of profits. They shouldn't blame DVR technology that allow customers to skip their ads, they should blame their own ad companies that puke out such stupid stupid ads that insult the customers intelligence to the point of making them run for the nearest barf bag. All they have to do is look at the Super Bowl when it comes to actual good ad writing. Those ads are so popular that they have their own awards show. My wife doesn't watch the game at all but wants me to call her to watch the ads.

#78 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Companies wonder why not enough people watch their ads resulting in loss of profits. They shouldn't blame DVR technology that allow customers to skip their ads, they should blame their own ad companies that puke out such stupid stupid ads that insult the customers intelligence to the point of making them run for the nearest barf bag. All they have to do is look at the Super Bowl when it comes to actual good ad writing. Those ads are so popular that they have their own awards show. My wife doesn't watch the game at all but wants me to call her to watch the ads.

Yup, pretty much posted the same thing in the "networks are angry at Dish hopper" post that was moved to the hopper forum.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this as part of the problem.

#79 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

I wonder If this is the beginning to the end of skipping commercials?

#80 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

The really dumb part of this discussion is that by restructuring commercial placement - kind of random for no more than 60 seconds, 45 seconds being the ideal length, but occasionally running longer to keep us confused, with no distinguishing breaks - the networks could eliminate most commercial skipping. I've never really understood the "woe is me" view from advertising supported TV that crams four or more thirty-to-sixty second commercials into blocks of up to 4 minutes.

And they could provide spots where local stations could "insert here" providing confidential advanced notice.

And technology would allow it to be pretty automated, much like Auto Hop.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall