Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish AutoHop vs Networks Commercial Skipping Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
694 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

You and many others keep missing the difference.

There's a huge difference between you throwing away junk mail and your mailman not delivering it to you in the first place!

Apples and peaches.
The commercials are delivered. Your analogy is only valid if Dish were stripping out the commercials before they got to your DVR.
That is not what they do.
Every time you start playback on a PTAT program, you are presented with the option of consciously throwing out the junk mail or opening it.

The number of times the user has to press a button to facilitate that is irrelevant. Dish just built a better mousetrap, and made the previous models look primitive.

On a side note, Newscorp should have known this was coming well in advance. Their hackers are slipping.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I really hope this isn't the beginning to the end of skipping ads altogether.

It won't go that far but they want the customer to initiate it. Then there is a chance that it's still played.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#163 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Apples and peaches.
The commercials are delivered. Your analogy is only valid if Dish were stripping out the commercials before they got to your DVR.
Every time you start playback on a PTAT program, you are presented with the option of consciously throwing out the junk mail or opening it.

The number of times the user has to press a button to facilitate that is irrelevant. Dish just built a better mousetrap, and made the previous models look primitive.

On a side note, Newscorp should have known this was coming well in advance. Their hackers are slipping.

His analogy is fine and was appropriate. There is never an analogy that is perfect for every situation. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it more right.

Sorry but this time Charlie has gone too far and you're the one who's going to pay for it. This is his cock fight and as much as I can admire some of the things he's done for the industry, much like Al Davis of the NFL, sometimes you just lose touch or go against what's best for the people you think you're doing it for because it's an ego trip.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#164 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

There's a huge difference between you throwing away junk mail and your mailman not delivering it to you in the first place!

You recording and skipping commercials manually is no different than using the bathroom or going to get a snack. This is largely why the DVR and trick play features won out because they can't make you watch anything you don't want to watch.

AutoHop is a whole new ball of wax. AutoHop gives you the ability to disable all commercials in a given program with the press of one button.

Now... they don't know whether or not I watch any commercials ever... but with AutoHop they know I don't even have a chance.

If you were an advertiser, how much money would you pay for an ad that you know people aren't watching because they can disable commercials entirely?

Your boss doesn't know if you goof off at work sometimes... maybe your lunch hour is a lunch 75 minutes some days... but IF you put a big sign up announcing your mid-day absence then you can bet your boss takes notices.

AutoHop is a big sign saying "no commercials here"... which is way more definitive than maybe customers skip and maybe they don't. AutoHop is definitely they do.

That's the difference.

Dish is paying for Hopper commercials. Can you imagine how mad Dish would be if they paid NBC for a 30-second commercial spot and then NBC doesn't air it? Yeah, maybe no one watches it... but they can't watch it if it isn't on.

Dish implementing AutoHop is a world of difference to you skipping commercials yourself.

I know people think commercials are evil... but do you want every channel to cost as much as HBO does? That would be where we would be headed IF commercial TV goes away.

Complain all you want, but I'd rather the networks and advertisers "think" I might be watching their commercials so they will keep funding the programming so all my networks don't cost $15-$20 each like the premium channels.

Another excellent post Stewart and of course I agree also.

#165 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Come on guys, its all about context here, the big picture.

IF this feature wins, customers might be temporarily happy... but networks will not be able to sell commercials anymore and then the cost of programming (and channels) will go up OR those channels and programs will go away.

I don't think people understand just how much of the programming they like exists because of commercial revenue to the networks.

Keep the context in mind. Dish has not chosen to lump some cable channels together to strip the commercials out.

What they have done is DMA-by-DMA given the viewer who is now paying a retransmission fee to a bunch of local channels to skip the commercials on those channels. I'm not even sure what kind of legal standing the networks have as their contracts are with the local station, even if that station is an O&O. Auto Hop only works on local channels.

Charlie apparently has no problem with broadcasting national channels with commercials without allowing the Auto Hop feature. That's the context.

You recording and skipping commercials manually is no different than using the bathroom or going to get a snack. This is largely why the DVR and trick play features won out because they can't make you watch anything you don't want to watch.

Yeah, but now they can't force me to leave a room in my house to avoid commercials. They don't control what I do. It's all about context.

AutoHop is a whole new ball of wax. AutoHop gives you the ability to disable all commercials in a given program with the press of one button.

Yes it does. it gives me the ability in the privacy of my own home with my old arthritic fingers to press a button once to skip commercials in a show instead of pressing a dozen or more times. That's the context.

If you were an advertiser, how much money would you pay for an ad that you know people aren't watching because they can disable commercials entirely?

Actually, whether I watch commercials is not even in the formula computing the value of commercials. I'm old and live in a rural area. So I don't matter to them and they don't matter to me. That's my context.

Perhaps what they would prefer to do would be to require everyone between the ages of 18-49 to be handcuffed to their chairs for three hours a night to watch commercial-filled national programming via a local television channel. But I don't think Congress would vote for that. I'm not sure, but I don't think they would.

Complain all you want, but I'd rather the networks and advertisers "think" I might be watching their commercials so they will keep funding the programming so all my networks don't cost $15-$20 each like the premium channels.

Actually, here you really need to understand the big picture.

It is likely that you do pay to Disney/ESPN/ABC, News Corp, and NBCU each about what a block of premium channels cost. It's just that you cannot opt not to buy each of their blocks of channels like you do HBO, Showtime and Starz. In fact, it is very clear that when contract time comes up, the Disney suits intend to negotiate the Disney/ESPN/ABC channels as a block - including the ABC O&O - but they will not be giving me the option to not buy them. That's the context.

You, like the broadcast networks and local station owners, are defending a 1958 economic model that should have died sometime in the past ten years.

It is very likely that your Congressman and two Senators have voted to maintain that model and to force you to subsidize it, big time. I have been writing to protest this for years.

There should be a national NBC cable channel, along with USA and Syfy. There should be a national Fox cable channel, along with FX, Speed, etc. There should be a national ABC cable channel, along with ESPN, Disney, etc.

So I respectfully disagree and would happily file a friend-of-the-court brief supporting Auto Hop if I could.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#166 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

Another bit of irony... How many posters who hate commercials and want to skip them all... how many of you have links or things in your signatures or avatars that are advertisements? Or maybe you wear clothes with logos on them? Or a bumper sticker on your car perhaps?

If advertisements are evil and to be skipped... why are you advertising?

Food for thought.

I still say as a fan of TV shows... that we should all be hoping this is just a ploy by Charlie to negotiate and use as a bargaining chip... because if the networks push this and lose in court, then we viewers will ultimately lose because ad revenue will go down and network transmission fees will go up... and then our cable/satellite bills will go up... and then everyone will complain about that and wonder why TV suddenly costs so much.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#167 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Apples and peaches.

Right. The postal carrier still puts the junk mail in by box, but I make the choice to dump it enmasse without unfolding or opening any of it.

And No, I don't wear any clothing that displays labels, sayings, slogans or logos, nor do I have any bumper stickers on my cars.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#168 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

Copyright violation? That would make all DVR's illegal. Unauthorized modification? To what?

Copyright does more than protect against copying someone else's work - it also pertains to keeping the work as the original author intended. In other words, copyright not only prevents you from making an unauthorized copy of a book, it prevents you from altering the book when you make a legitimate copy. What the networks are arguing is that the commercials are part of the "artistic work" and displaying the program without them modifies their copyrighted work. This is a rather weak foot to stand on, IMO, because when they rerun them later, they use different advertisements, which points to the interchangeability of the ads themselves. The other side of it is that networks write their scripts in such a way as to utilize commercial breaks at strategic points within the plot, and skipping those times to ponder or discuss the program changes the artistic worth of the program. How many times will Ryan Seacrest say, "We'll find out... after the break" and then instantly say, "And we're back!" before it seems comical?

#169 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

There should be a national NBC cable channel, along with USA and Syfy. There should be a national Fox cable channel, along with FX, Speed, etc. There should be a national ABC cable channel, along with ESPN, Disney, etc.

While I may agree with you, there are a few facts that are undeniable. First, broadcast television consistently delivers the highest ratings in the country. There must be something about the economic model that allows them to afford higher quality programming in larger quantities than the cable model does. It may have something to with the fact that many people use antennas or get "lifeline" cable - which includes almost nothing but local broadcast stations.

It isn't the commercials themselves, because USA and SyFy have commercials, too. I believe it is the ubiquity of these channels - they are in almost every single household with a television.

#170 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

Law of Unintended Consequences

I do have to point out the irony that Dish introduces AutoHop feature, then networks decide not to accept commercial advertising money from Dish to promote their Hopper/Joey receivers.

So... on the one hand Dish argues "customers should be able to watch what they want, and they don't want to watch commercials"... but on the other hand Dish is paying money to get commercials airing that sell their products.

What customers does Dish think will be watching those commercials? I mean, if Dish wants to block commercials they seem to be saying customers don't watch them so why throw money in the garbage by paying for your own commercials?

The spector of Dish's AutoHop feature skipping it's own Hopper/Joey commercials portends far-reaching, but as yet aunknown ramifications when the use of such auto-skipping maneuvers by users reaches critical mass, possibly akin to the time-travel paradox, and once again proving that the law of unintended consequences is in full effect..

Perhaps the Mayans prognosticators were right. It's probably no coincidink that Charlie introduces the Harper in the same year that the Mayans have predicted time will cease. Conspiracy or not, these are facts which cannot be denied. You be the judge.

Edited by Nick, 25 May 2012 - 06:45 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#171 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

And No, I don't wear any clothing that displays labels, sayings, slogans or logos, nor do I have any bumper stickers on my cars.

I go even further than that.
I tell the dealership that if they stick one of their dealer emblems on the back of my new car then there is no deal.
I do let them install the advertising license plate brackets, but I remove them as soon as I get home and get some plain ones.

What I will do is help to promote a product in which I believe, in person, in forums, or on facebook.

#172 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

Do you think Directv will do it as well?
I hope YES BIG TIME.

DirecTV bought the rights to ReplayTV's software technology including the patents, so they already have the capability. Have had for quite a while now, but haven't chosen to do so.

But even if Dish wins, unless DirecTV starts losing subscribers specifically because of this feature, we won't see it.

#173 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Now... they don't know whether or not I watch any commercials ever... but with AutoHop they know I don't even have a chance.

Your boss doesn't know if you goof off at work sometimes... maybe your lunch hour is a lunch 75 minutes some days... but IF you put a big sign up announcing your mid-day absence then you can bet your boss takes notices.

AutoHop is a big sign saying "no commercials here"... which is way more definitive than maybe customers skip and maybe they don't. AutoHop is definitely they do.

That's the difference.

Dish is paying for Hopper commercials. Can you imagine how mad Dish would be if they paid NBC for a 30-second commercial spot and then NBC doesn't air it? Yeah, maybe no one watches it... but they can't watch it if it isn't on.

Dish implementing AutoHop is a world of difference to you skipping commercials yourself.

I know people think commercials are evil... but do you want every channel to cost as much as HBO does? That would be where we would be headed IF commercial TV goes away.

Thanks , good post!
I keep hearing , well everyone elses DVRs can skip commercials. um , NO they can't.

You can choose not to watch them, but they are still there.

I look at it this way, and you all can get mad.

But are you really Surprised??
Dish pisses off the networks so bad, CBS,and ABC is already sour with them.

Dish always makes it seem like they are doing it all for you, but in the end the customer suffers.
Having Dish network is like being married to an abusive husband!

Same crap Different day!

#174 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

.Oh and what about the retrans fee's that keep going up every single year?

If Dish wins, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The networks and their affiliates will punish Dish Network with monumental retransmission fees.

Apples and peaches.

This is likely the very point upon which the lawsuit will hinge. Does the deployment of technology to a viewer's local device versus being implemented at the retransmission source, make a material difference under the law? The fact that it is offered for free, and enablement is optional to the viewer will help Dish's cause. However, regardless of the legal details, if Dish prevails on Auto-Hop you can expect retransmission lawsuits involving Dish that will make the previous fights look like a picnic.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#175 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Thanks , good post!
I keep hearing , well everyone elses DVRs can skip commercials. um , NO they can't.

You can choose not to watch them, but they are still there.

That is EXACTLY how the Hopper works. They do not remove the commercials. If you FFWD or REW past the Auto Hop point by one second, the commercials will play.

#176 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

I thought the first remotes used sound? (tuning forks or something)

The non-Zenith ones did (until the Zenith patent ran out).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#177 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

I go even further than that.
I tell the dealership that if they stick one of their dealer emblems on the back of my new car then there is no deal.

Same here. If I buy a used car with one, it's the first thing that gets removed.

I ripped into a hardware store manager one day because most everything I wanted to buy had not only the True Value logo, but the local store's name branded all over them. He couldn't quite see the difference between "Scott's" or "Vermont American" and his store name.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#178 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

That is EXACTLY how the Hopper works. They do not remove the commercials. If you FFWD or REW past the Auto Hop point by one second, the commercials will play.

I think the problem is , most receivers do like a 10 second or 30 second skip. I know any of the boxes i had did. But you can still see, the commercial.
It doesn't skip an entire 3 minute period , like it sound like the hopper can do.

There was nothing wrong with the old system, so something has obviously changed form the VIP to the Hopper.

You guys act like the Networks just don't know how it works.
OK They are not that DUMB! They see something they don't like!

#179 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

You and many others keep missing the difference. There's a huge difference between you throwing away junk mail and your mailman not delivering it to you in the first place!

I absolutely understand the difference. What you fail to acknowledge is that the results are the same. In either case hitting the forward button 7 times in a row or activating the auto hop feature for each and every show provides the exact same outcome.

Only if you activate it and they do not know if you do!

I do not know if anybody is watching it without autohop either and you cannot disable commercials entirely. Only for programs that PTAT records and only after a designated amount of time passes. There could be room for negotiation on the last point alone.

The advertisers, just like my boss, are not stupid. They (advertisers) already know millions of people are skipping their ads every night. My boss knows if I am goofing off because my work is not done.

Customers still have to acknowledge they want to skip. Some may and some may not. It may be definitive in your mind but that does not mean it is.

Dish is not preventing the networks from transmitting the commercials. Nor are they deleting the commercials from the stream. The commercials still exist in the recording and if you do not choose to autohop you can watch the broadcast just as it aired.

The networks will definitely be looking for advocates to work on their case and/or testify and argue this point on their behalf. I am sure this job pays very well. Forward resume and credentials to the major networks taking part in the litigation.

We Dish subscribers already pay the network retransmission fees for channels that are supposed to be free. Commercials and advertisers are not evil, in this particular case the networks are and swizzle in just a pinch of greed into that description as well. If the big four are supposed to be completely paid for with ads why do we then have to pay them anything additional just to receive them from our provider?

I would argue that the cost of "free" networks subsidized with ads will never equal the cost of an HBO with zero ads. It will always be something less. I agree there is an argument on both sides of this coin. I am far from complaining here. I acknowledge that this is just part of the process and by now you know which side I am on.:)

JD

#180 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Until a little while ago, broadcast stations WERE 'free and subsidized by ads'.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...