Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Curious? This May Help.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

As a former DirecTV subscriber, I was curious about how the Hopper functioned and performed. I found some information online, but I would have appreciated if someone had posted something like this before I committed.
I ultimately jumped onboard anyway, so I made this video with the hope that others may find it helpful.

It's not meant to be all-encompassing. Just somewhat informative and educational.

The one thing that continues to impress me about the Hopper DVR is its performance, especially during playback.

Sorry for the low quality. It's tricky working a remote with one hand and holding a smartphone steady in the other.

NdxwWcIHIj8

You can find more information on the Hopper/Joey system here.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201721

If you are unclear on anything, please don't hesitate to ask a question on these forums.
Everyone's here to help.

Edited by Marlin Guy, 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FilmMixer

FilmMixer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

As a former DirecTV subscriber, I was curious about how the Hopper functioned and performed. I found some information online, but I would have appreciated if someone had posted something like this before I committed.
I ultimately jumped onboard anyway, so I made this video with the hope that others may find it helpful.

It's not meant to be all-encompassing. Just somewhat informative and educational.

The one thing that continues to impress me about the Hopper DVR is its performance, especially during playback.

Sorry for the low quality. It's tricky working a remote with one hand and holding a smartphone steady in the other.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxwWcIHIj8">YouTube Link</a>

How do you find the HD picture quality?

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

OMG !

You exposed your serial numbers ! Doomsday coming to you ! Red Alert ! :D

BTW, you didn't mentioned FW version. Sort of important to know, some buttons, functions changing from one version to other.

#4 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Fellow Hopper/Joey user here, great vid!

#5 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

It's just fine for my use.
I never was one of those who claimed he could tell 1080i from 1080p anyway, and 3D makes my head hurt.

#6 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

OMG !

BTW, you didn't mentioned FW version. Sort of important to know, some buttons, functions changing from one version to other.

It's not about the buttons as much as it is about showing the general look and feel of the DVR.

#7 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

OMG !

You exposed your serial numbers ! Doomsday coming to you ! Red Alert ! :D

FW version is right at 3:29.

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

As a confirmed pixel peeper and recent DirecTV customer (switched at the end of April) I feel qualified to answer this question.

On some channels, Dish HD is almost as good as DirecTV's HD. There is a slight loss of picture detail, and some evidence of color quashing. On others, particularly on Fox Sports Net, the picture quality on Dish is greatly inferior. I would describe the differences as mostly subtle, with the exception of FSN. The average person is probably not going to notice the difference.

What made it worth switching for me is that Dish has some channels that I watch quite a bit in HD that DirecTV does not have (BBC America comes to mind) and DirecTV's SD quality makes a worn-out VHS tape look good. By comparison, Dish's SD quality is quite good, better than VHS but worse than DVD by a wide margin. The similarly-priced package I switched to included several movie channels that I am likely to watch, which replaced channels I never watched on DirecTV. There are a few odd channels that are not in HD - Disney, ABC Family and ESPN News, for instance. And Dish appears to be saying goodbye to AMC, which doesn't matter a bit to me, but I know it will to others.

The other factor was that I had one of the slowest DVRs on the planet from DirecTV. It was awful, and created all sorts of problems for me. The Hopper works the way a DVR should - fast and responsive, even while recording 3 things at once. I understand that the problems with the DirecTV DVR's was not universal, and while I was assured DirecTV was aware of and working on the problem, I figured giving them over two years to fix it was enough to convince me that they'd probably never get it right.

#9 OFFLINE   duda007

duda007

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

What does this feature offer o the hopper?

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

See/read many thread/posts about "EHD".

#11 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

u can transfer recordings from your dvr to an external hard drive

#12 OFFLINE   duda007

duda007

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

How many shows can I record not including PTAT?

I'm looking into 1 hopper & 3 joeys set up.

Can I use the blockbuster, dish on demand and apps only from the hopper or joeys also?

Can I initiate recording from the joeys also?

Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

How many shows can I record not including PTAT?

I'm looking into 1 hopper & 3 joeys set up.

Can I use the blockbuster, dish on demand and apps only from the hopper or joeys also?

Can I initiate recording from the joeys also?

Thanks.

There are three available tuners in the Hopper. The Joeys tune and playback via the Hopper. PTAT can be disabled, allowing all three to be used for user-defined recording and tuning during Primetime. If PTAT is on, it will use one tuner, leaving two for your other needs.

Yes. All functions, including scheduling recordings, are available from the Joeys. Think of the Hopper as a server and the Joeys as thin clients attached to that server. The Joeys are merely extensions of the Hopper.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

i think my brain may collapse if someone asks that first question there again.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Judging by the push of h2k/j you will read the question each week at least during following years ... Guaranteed ! :D

#16 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Especially with the confusion that PTAT creates when Dish claims you can record 6 at once.

#17 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

It's to be expected. It can be annoying to people who are familiar with the system, but it's essential information for those who are unfamiliar.
One of the main reasons I made the video was to show some of the features and the interface to people who haven't used Dish products.
I was with them years ago, but the new stuff is vastly different from that to which I was accustomed.

#18 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Especially with the confusion that PTAT creates when Dish claims you can record 6 at once.

I'll have to agree with that. It's a bit of a misleading statement. Perhaps a bigger asterisk is in order. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

To continuation of questions coming up again and again: how many h2k already installed ?
What is your estimation ?

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

It's to be expected. It can be annoying to people who are familiar with the system, but it's essential information for those who are unfamiliar.
One of the main reasons I made the video was to show some of the features and the interface to people who haven't used Dish products.
I was with them years ago, but the new stuff is vastly different from that to which I was accustomed.

I know, I'm just saying it's in both FAQs.

Sigh. Kittens give Morbo gas.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall