Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Open Letter to DISH Re: Lack of Manual Timer and No-VIP receiver on Hopper account

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smooth28la

smooth28la

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

To Dish Management:
Charles W. Ergen, Chairman of the Board
Joseph P. Clayton, President and Chief Executive Officer, DISH Network
Jim DeFranco, Executive Vice President
Bernie Han, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Tom Cullen, Executive Vice President
W. Erik Carlson, Executive Vice President, Operations
Roger Lynch, Executive Vice President, Advanced Technologies

(If anyone knows their direct email addresses or postal mail address, please reply)

I'm an high-end loyal DishNetwork customer for more than 10 years. I'm also a lover of high end audio and video technology as I am usually the first one in line to purchase the latest electronic gadget the day they're released. Several years ago, I had to beg your executive department to allow me to purchase the first HD DVR 921 receiver when it first got released in limited supply.

Unfortunately, my search for the greatest Dishnetwork receiver has stopped with your the last 2 flagship receivers - the 922 and the revolutionary Hopper/Joey system.

There are two reasons for my recent cancellation of the Hopper/Joey order:

The lack of OTA turner and the ability to record programs manually.

Currently I record all the network shows on the excellent 2-turner OTA turner of my 722 receiver because the picture quality is superior on my $3500 HDTV screens and I watch a lot of shows on certain OTA sub-channels that are not carried on Dishnetwork's local HD lineup.

I understand the OTA turner will be available later this summer though it unfortunately will be a downgrade from the dual turner capability of the 722 receiver.

More importantly, I timer record many excellent radio shows off the Sirius music channels. Currently using DISH DVRs is the only flexible to time shift Sirius music channel radio shows. Since there is no program guide on Sirius channels, it would be impossible for me to record any specific time period for the Sirius shows I want to listen. Similarly, once OTA turner becomes available, I would be unable to record shows on the OTA sub-channels since there are no program information on the majority of those channels.

I understand changes in receiver features would take time to become reality and I was willing to activate an additional VIP receiver just to record OTA and Sirius channels. However, since it is not possible to add VIP receiver to a Joey/Hopper account, such compromise would require me to open up a secondary DISH account and purchase the American Top 120 ($44.99 a month) AND paying a separate $6 DVR fee to accomplish the manual recording of OTA and Sirius channels that I can already do on the 2-years old 722 receiver.

If I were allowed to add one VIP receiver to use the Manual Recording feature to my existing account, it would only cost $10 additional receiver fee.

I'm writing to plead the DISH management to allow the talented Echostar programmers to restore the manual recording capability on the excellent Hopper/Joey system or at least allow VIP receiver on Hopper/Joey account during the interim before the program coding is complete.

Sincerely yours,

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Unfortunately, my search for the greatest Dishnetwork receiver has stopped with your the last 2 flagship receivers - the 922 and the revolutionary Hopper/Joey system.

There are two reasons for my recent cancellation of the Hopper/Joey order:

The lack of OTA turner and the ability to record programs manually.

Currently I record all the network shows on the excellent 2-turner OTA turner of my 722 receiver because the picture quality is superior on my $3500 HDTV screens and I watch a lot of shows on certain OTA sub-channels that are not carried on Dishnetwork's local HD lineup.

I understand the OTA turner will be available later this summer though it unfortunately will be a downgrade from the dual turner capability of the 722 receiver.

1. I don't see a complaint about the 922 here.
2. The OTA tuner(s) on the Hopper are USB. Add as many as you want, as far as we've seen; you want 3 OTA tuners? Put 3 USB sticks on it.
3. The manual timer thing is quite the pain in the ass.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   smooth28la

smooth28la

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

I never upgraded to the 922 due to the lack of manual timer PLUS the increased DVR fee.

Hopper/Joey's additional receiver fee is more reasonable but still lacks the manual timer (and currently no OTA)

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Currently I record all the network shows on the excellent 2-turner OTA turner of my 722 receiver because the picture quality is superior on my $3500 HDTV screens ....

It's good to know that there are still people out there who understand that quality is directly related to price paid!

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't think manual timers are coming back.

When the 922 first hit, I complained about two missing features:

1. No Dish Pass timers
2. No Manual timers

I pointed out the value in both of these... and multiple times the answer I was given as to why those features were removed... wait for it...

"Very few customers use those features."

Boom!

With that... I'm not surprised the Hopper/Joey continues the tradition of not having those features.

You used to be able to set manual and Dish Pass timers through Dish Remote Access or Dish Online for the 922... but I haven't checked in a while and I don't have a Hopper/Joey to see.

I don't agree, as obviously the thread starter here posted, with the choice to remove those "old faithful" features from the new receivers... but it seems like Dish has taken the "nobody uses them" approach as an answer and the 922 either proved their point OR didn't reach enough customers .

IF the Hopper/Joey is their way-of-the-future, I can only hope they get into more customers' hands who complain about these removed features... though it is possible Dish might be proven right and that there is only a small portion of us who care about those missing features.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

You must know more than I do.

Do you know the OTA module will be a single-tuner module? DirecTV's USB-connected OTA module has two tuners in it (the AM21). All I know is that an OTA module is imminent and planned for the Hopper.

Do you know for certain that the Hopper will not use PSIP for channel guide information on channels that aren't on satellite?

However, on the point about manual timers, you're spot on.

#7 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

I don't think manual timers are coming back.

When the 922 first hit, I complained about two missing features:

1. No Dish Pass timers
2. No Manual timers

I pointed out the value in both of these... and multiple times the answer I was given as to why those features were removed... wait for it...

"Very few customers use those features."

Boom!

With that... I'm not surprised the Hopper/Joey continues the tradition of not having those features.

You used to be able to set manual and Dish Pass timers through Dish Remote Access or Dish Online for the 922... but I haven't checked in a while and I don't have a Hopper/Joey to see.

I don't agree, as obviously the thread starter here posted, with the choice to remove those "old faithful" features from the new receivers... but it seems like Dish has taken the "nobody uses them" approach as an answer and the 922 either proved their point OR didn't reach enough customers .

IF the Hopper/Joey is their way-of-the-future, I can only hope they get into more customers' hands who complain about these removed features... though it is possible Dish might be proven right and that there is only a small portion of us who care about those missing features.

Lol, Dish pass and manual timers aren't even covered in the new hire training course for Dish.
When I worked there, their were very few agents that I encountered who even

1) Noticed Dish pass in the menus.
2) Knew how to use it.

lol.

#8 OFFLINE   smooth28la

smooth28la

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

From another site, the OTA add-on for Hopper will be single turner.. again a downgrade from the older receivers.

As to DISH's claim that 'nobody' uses the manual timer.

It's another way of saying that it's 'too difficult' for most people as that brings back the old days of not knowing how to set up a VHS VCR to record shows.

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

From another site, the OTA add-on for Hopper will be single turner.. again a downgrade from the older receivers.

As to DISH's claim that 'nobody' uses the manual timer.

It's another way of saying that it's 'too difficult' for most people as that brings back the old days of not knowing how to set up a VHS VCR to record shows.

The add on is indeed a single tuner, but since its USB based that means your not limited to just that tuner and you can get a second or third one if you please and use them simultaneously.

#10 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

The add on is indeed a single tuner, but since its USB based that means your not limited to just that tuner and you can get a second or third one if you please and use them simultaneously.

ONE per Hopper is all so you cannot add a second or third.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

That's not what's been mentioned from the Big Show last week.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...