Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

beIN Sports - 2 Channels in August

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Al Jazeera is launching 2 sports channels in August.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47504423

http://beinsportsusa.wordpress.com/

https://twitter.com/#!/beinsportsusa

With Gol losing La Liga, and Fox losing Serie A and Ligue 1, will D* take both channels?

Expect a big bid from beIN for the 2013 - 2016 English Premier League rights as well.

Here's a quote:

"We are working together with Imagina US as our partner, and we are already in the last stages of negotiation with different providers, having secured two major deals so far that will bring the channel to subscribers’ homes on August 1.”

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

With Gol losing La Liga, and Fox losing Serie A and Ligue 1, will D* take both channels?

As the sports leader, DirecTV should add these two channels. :)

#3 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

There is an ominous quote in the Multichannel News Story.

http://www.multichan...this_August.php

"Although he would not identify the providers that beIn Sport was in advanced carriage talks, Briceño insisted that the matches would be available to U.S. soccer fans this upcoming season. "You may have to switch providers," he noted."

#4 OFFLINE   btk89

btk89

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Why in the world do want anything at all from Al Jazeera???

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Because their news station is excellent and now they're getting sports channels. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean no one does.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Its not necessarily about wanting something form Al Jazeera, its about wanting the content they provide. They have a huge bankroll and as rights become available they will be bidding on them.

#7 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Silly name.

But would like to have them, as well as AJE in HD!

#8 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

I had a very bad taste in my mouth at first. But as I was strobing through D*'s channels just a few minutes ago I thought to myself that Al-Jazzera/beIN Sports may not be such a bad addition considering what they would offer. But of course it will burn and create resentment from a lot of subscribers that wanted other channels.

This will be a real interesting couple of months leading into August. I may have to modify my HD wishlist.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#9 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Silly name.

But would like to have them, as well as AJE in HD!

Anyone with an internet connection can watch AJE for free. PQ is pretty good too.

http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#10 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Anyone with an internet connection can watch AJE for free. PQ is pretty good too.

I know and I do, but it would be nice to just flip on the channel on TV.

Also, for those thinking Al Jazeera is just a mindless pro-Islamist channel, check out this great two-part documentary on Gaddafi that aired a few days ago:

http://www.aljazeera...1433100263.html

Available in HD, no less :)

#11 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

One of the pluses to my Roku...

(along with BBC Parliament, BBC News and BBC World News -- among others)
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#12 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

One of the pluses to my Roku...

(along with BBC Parliament, BBC News and BBC World News -- among others)

Yep. Roku has it live 24/7. I thought Al Jazeera was Al Jihad and the Arabic version may well be like that but the English version has almost all British journalists and does have good coverage of the middle east. They also have sports news and talk shows, etc. No slant at all.

#13 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

It would seem that with these rights movements, there is no longer much of a need for Fox Soccer Plus or Gol TV. I can't imagine D* paying for 5 soccer channels when there really isn't enough content for 5 channels. So is the following breakdown for 2012-2013 accurate?

EPL - Fox/ESPN2
MLS - NBCSN
La Liga - BeIn
Serie A - BeIn
Ligue 1 - BeIn
GOL - German plus a couple of South American Leagues
Championship - Fox Soccer Plus

#14 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Only thing is that the live stream of AJE isn't very high-quality, especially in full screen. But better than nothing, I guess. I know the channel is available on some US cable providers but very sporadically. Hopefully, DirecTV adds it somewhere down the line.

#15 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

It would seem that with these rights movements, there is no longer much of a need for Fox Soccer Plus or Gol TV. I can't imagine D* paying for 5 soccer channels when there really isn't enough content for 5 channels. So is the following breakdown for 2012-2013 accurate?

EPL - Fox/ESPN2
MLS - NBCSN
La Liga - BeIn
Serie A - BeIn
Ligue 1 - BeIn

FOX Soccer Plus picked up the Scottish Premier League, Aussie Rules football, NRL and Super League rugby league, and still has the rights to the Premiership, Celtic, and Heineken Cup rugby union competitions.

#16 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

EPL - Fox/ESPN2
MLS - NBCSN
La Liga - BeIn
Serie A - BeIn
Ligue 1 - BeIn

The EPL deal is only current for the upcoming season. The EPL U.S. rights bid for 2013-16 is on the horizon, I believe it is this summer if I'm not mistaken. If Al-Jazeera/beIN should start throwing their weight around, there will likely be a joint bid of ESPN/FOX and Univision.

Eredivisie (Netherlands) and the Portuguese Liga are up for grabs as well and GolTV or whomever may get them on the cheap. I am not saying that is possible, but definitely worth an examination.

Pardon me for coming across as a fiend, I just like following clubs outside the UEFA Champions league and the National Team competitions. I just hope D* will continue the stellar live coverage of UCL matches. It is good daytime television.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#17 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Pardon me for coming across as a fiend, I just like following clubs outside the UEFA Champions league and the National Team competitions. I just hope D* will continue the stellar live coverage of UCL matches. It is good daytime television.

Amen to that, it is good to know that all Champions League games are available and it is even better when you watch the D* exclusive matches since the screen is blissfully clutter free, a rarity in this day and age.

#18 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Only thing is that the live stream of AJE isn't very high-quality, especially in full screen. But better than nothing, I guess. I know the channel is available on some US cable providers but very sporadically. Hopefully, DirecTV adds it somewhere down the line.

Looks pretty good to me. Not HD, but probably at least DVD quality. I only watch the direct feed from their own website and not a secondary source.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#19 OFFLINE   delawaredave

delawaredave

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Why not get US Stations first, maybe Comcast Sports Philadelphia!

#20 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Why not get US Stations first, maybe Comcast Sports Philadelphia!

BeIn Sports USA is/will be an American station when it launches. It's headquarters will be in Miami.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...