Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

beIN Sports - 2 Channels in August

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Because their news station is excellent and now they're getting sports channels. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean no one does.

+1

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Why in the world do want anything at all from Al Jazeera???

For the very same reason we want Fox Sports and still accept the blatant horror that is Fox News. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#23 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Why not get US Stations first, maybe Comcast Sports Philadelphia!

Because Comcast has been giving DirecTV a big huge fat middle finger for the last 15 years. Don't count on that changing any time soon.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#24 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Funny to see ignorance rear its head in this thread. American Exceptionalism at its finest!

#25 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

IMHO, this company does not demonstrate the type of ethics that meet the minimum for being dealt with.

In any event, soccer should be off it its own packages. I would not want the regular sports packages to cost more for soccer.

#26 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

IMHO, this company does not demonstrate the type of ethics that meet the minimum for being dealt with.

In any event, soccer should be off it its own packages. I would not want the regular sports packages to cost more for soccer.

If ethics are brought into the discussion, then none of News Corp.'s channels should be carried. Also, we all pay for content we don't want. I don't want my bill to go up because a channel buys the rights to softball and bowling.

#27 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

I would disagree with both of those statements. First, violatating the "privacy" of some poptart or minor royal is hardly the same thing as broadcasting the words of a mass-muderer, received from an intermediate they refuse to identify. IMHO, no one should do business with such an outfit. Probably best to leave it there.

But as to the "we all pay for content we don't like", yes, of course. Certainly we all could list a, for most quite lengthy, list of basic channels we NEVER watch. Not really the issue in the sports context. This is a more simple discussion. Should such content as soccer be included in a base package (in DirecTV terms either the basic "Choice" lineup or in the "Sports Pack") , or should it be in a soccer package? All I am saying is that such content is of such non-interest and appeals to such a different group that is should be in a "soccer pack" and not in the general content. In my experience the soccer group has no interest in other sports, and, certainly the ratings bear out that most people have no interest in soccer. Those who wish to pay for it, should, without expanding costs for the vast majority that are not intrested in a European sport. In much the same way that cricket, foreign language content, and, for that matter, HBO, is pay-extra.

#28 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I would disagree with both of those statements. First, violatating the "privacy" of some poptart or minor royal is hardly the same thing as broadcasting the words of a mass-muderer, received from an intermediate they refuse to identify. IMHO, no one should do business with such an outfit. Probably best to leave it there.

But as to the "we all pay for content we don't like", yes, of course. Certainly we all could list a, for most quite lengthy, list of basic channels we NEVER watch. Not really the issue in the sports context. This is a more simple discussion. Should such content as soccer be included in a base package (in DirecTV terms either the basic "Choice" lineup or in the "Sports Pack") , or should it be in a soccer package? All I am saying is that such content is of such non-interest and appeals to such a different group that is should be in a "soccer pack" and not in the general content. In my experience the soccer group has no interest in other sports, and, certainly the ratings bear out that most people have no interest in soccer. Those who wish to pay for it, should, without expanding costs for the vast majority that are not intrested in a European sport. In much the same way that cricket, foreign language content, and, for that matter, HBO, is pay-extra.

maybe a soccer pack? But why can't Directv have a basic packet like choice ultimate but with sports and not movies? Give it all the old choice xtra channels but add some NON RSN sports channels as well.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#29 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

The xenophobia displayed here is not surprising.

#30 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

In any event, soccer should be off it its own packages. I would not want the regular sports packages to cost more for soccer.[/QUOTE]

I have this feeling that in the next year or so, Direct TV will spin off [I[I]]"Sunday [/I]Ticket"[/I] like packages for soccer and rugby.
No more "free" games.

#31 OFFLINE   gutshot74

gutshot74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

From all indications, Phil Schoen and Ray Hudson will be moving over to the beIn Sports networks, and it is wise for both of them because their style fits La Liga well.

I received the obligatory email from D* about no plans to add when I queried them, but I hope there will be enough people stoking the fire to get these two channels added. If beIn Sports 1 gets added in HD, that would at least be good enough, seeing that it would be expected that your major matches (The Clasicos primarily) would be aired on that network.

#32 OFFLINE   nandoal

nandoal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have a feeling the beIN WILL NOT be on *D at launch. Maybe even throughout the 1st year.

#33 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

DirecTV needs some soccer as they'll only be left with the CL, gotta throw money here and both sides need to set up a long term deal...

#34 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

defiantly gotta get the PAC 12 networks and Comcast Philly before foreign soccer channels.

#35 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

The Pac-12 Networks are slated to launch the same day as beIN sports (8/1). It would be sweet if D* would get them both at launch. As for CSN Philly (the one channel I desire above all else), only time will tell.

Back on topic, I wanted foreign soccer channels because there are players I like to follow outside the World Cup. Besides, it is good daytime television for a sports fan.

defiantly gotta get the PAC 12 networks and Comcast Philly before foreign soccer channels.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...