Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Phone line for PPV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kenw102

kenw102

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

I apologize if this question has been asked before. Is a phone line connection required for PPV billing, or does an Internet connection suffice? I realize that the TOS requires a phone line -- I am just looking for the technical answer. Thanks in advance.

Moderator: I just realized that this post should be in "general discussion". I cannot find a way to delete or move it. I'm sure that I don't really need to say this because you already know, but please feel free to move or delete this thread.

Edited by kenw102, 22 May 2012 - 03:33 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,101 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

An internet connection will do. The phone line isn't needed if you have internet connected.

Moved. :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   kenw102

kenw102

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

Thanks Scott

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

I apologize if this question has been asked before. Is a phone line connection required for PPV billing, or does an Internet connection suffice? I realize that the TOS requires a phone line -- I am just looking for the technical answer. Thanks in advance.

Moderator: I just realized that this post should be in "general discussion". I cannot find a way to delete or move it. I'm sure that I don't really need to say this because you already know, but please feel free to move or delete this thread.

Actually, the new Customer Agreement allows for either a phone line or an internet connection.

A phone line is no longer a requirement so long as you have an internet connection...which you need for On Demand/DIRECTV Cinema anyway. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Actually, the new Customer Agreement allows for either a phone line or an internet connection.

A phone line is no longer a requirement so long as you have an internet connection...which you need for On Demand/DIRECTV Cinema anyway. :)

Mike

There's a Customer Agreement joke in there somewhere. :D
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

There's a Customer Agreement joke in there somewhere. :D

No Joke. It clears up an oft asked question. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   THX

THX

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

What if you have an Internet connection and when you go to try to order a PPV it says you must have a broadband connection (even though you already have one)?

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

What if you have an Internet connection and when you go to try to order a PPV it says you must have a broadband connection (even though you already have one)?

What is the exact message that comes up and when/where does it come up? Also, what is your current setup?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

What does the receiver say when you test the internet connection?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...