Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

America's Got Talent 2012 thread

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Speaking as a pro, she's OK. She sounds like a frog and needs a lot of work.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Speaking as a pro, she's OK. She sounds like a frog and needs a lot of work.

LOL and +1.

She'll come around. Her handlers need some work, though.

I like AGT. It's a hodgepodge of different meanings for the word "entertainment". Sometimes goofy, sometime irreverant and corny, sometimes just plain good ... and bad, but always entertaining. Gotta luv it!

Howard (I've never been a fan) brings a new and funny presence to the show. If he made a youngster cry, I don't blame him ... that goes to the stage mom or dad that put that child on public display in the first place.

I love it when they (the judges) spite each other an allow a bad act to go to Vegas, knowing full well that the act will not survive it.

Too bad they can't do auditions forever.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#23 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

And another one bites the dust:

He’s got talent — and a lot of explaining to do.

Sgt. Timothy Michael Poe, a country-Western-singing National Guard veteran who knocked the socks off judges on “America’s Got Talent” Monday night, is a stutterer who claims to have suffered a brain injury during a 2009 tour of duty in Afghanistan — but military officials said yesterday he had never been wounded.

Poe, whose silky smooth rendition of Garth Brooks’ “If Tomorrow Never Comes” left dozens in the studio audience crying, said he began to stutter three years ago when he was hurt attempting to shield his men from a rocket-propelled-grenade blast and now can speak clearly only when he sings.

But the Minnesota National Guard said yesterday that Poe was never injured in the line of duty, nor did he serve in the military for 14 years as he claimed on national TV.

http://www.nypost.co...8MkLd30jbOGfx8I

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

It seems somewhat of an interesting coincidence that in the same year they add Howard Stern...the whacko acts seem to be coming out of the woodwork. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

And another one bites the dust:

http://www.nypost.co...8MkLd30jbOGfx8I

I don't imagine he'll even get to Vegas on AGT's dime. :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#26 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

It seems somewhat of an interesting coincidence that in the same year they add Howard Stern...the whacko acts seem to be coming out of the woodwork. :D

Oh Gosh no. "Whacko" acts have always been a staple of AGT. Remember "Prince Poppycock" ?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Check this out

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Oh Gosh no. "Whacko" acts have always been a staple of AGT. Remember "Prince Poppycock" ?

Probably my favorite act ever.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

I wonder why he only served in Afghanistan for a month. Is that unusual if there is no injury? He has said its not uncommon for records to go missing, but he said he couldn't produce proof.

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't imagine he'll even get to Vegas on AGT's dime. :)

They've made even more famous acts disappear before, or at least one.

#31 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Forget about the back story on him. Based on his talent alone, IMHO, he should in no way make it to Vegas. I laughed when Howie said he was a "Phenominal Talent". I hate it that these talent shows "Cherry Pick" individuals to promote via personal stories. It has nothing at all to do with their talent and shouldn't play in to it.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

If they were honest about trying to find a million dollar talent there would be a lot less acts going to Vegas. When they use "you're not a million dollar act" as an excuse for giving someone a no it makes me wonder why the consider the flops they pass million dollar acts.

A couple of years ago when they introduced the mass Vegas elimination at the airport it seemed to take the pressure off of just how strict the judges needed to be at the "auditions". When most of the "going to Vegas" acts end up winning a trip to Vegas and no further chance to perform they can reward non million dollar acts.

If "worth a million dollars" was the true standard for going to Vegas the show would be rejecting nearly all of the acts and would be fairly cynical.

The show itself has been annoying me more this year than in past years because of the way they edit together clips of stuff we have not seen yet. I don't want to see acts before they take the stage. (The pre-interview segements are ok, but stop showing people's stage performances before they are introduced.) There are also a lot of acts that get short clip passes to Vegas.

The overall fakeness of the show also gets to me. I know that the "auditions" we see on TV are not off the street performances. There are levels that lead up to getting in front of the celebrity judges. When the judges complain about an act being a complete waste of time that is an act that was INVITED to perform on stage by the producers. All of the crowd shots of the acts filling a conference center in costume or lined up seem contrived as well.

After the then 11 year old Bianca Ryan won the first season I got tired of little girls singing "you're going to love me". Terry Fator from season 2 is probably the best talent the show has seen. It has been a male singer winning the show for the past four seasons. None have succeeded as much as Terry.

And yet I watch.

#33 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Probably my favorite act ever.

They can be a hoot! :lol:

Oops! Hit "send" too soon.

I was one of those that actually liked Poppycock. But alas, attempting to sing Nessum Dorma (sp?) at the end did him in.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#34 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Yep, +1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#35 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

[...] And yet I watch.

Me too. A lot of the acts going to Vegas are baaaaaaaad. Even some of those that make it past Vegas, are questionable.

Besides Fator, I don't care what the winning act does after the show ends its prime time run.

I am well entertained by the antics of both the wannabes and the judges... and I don't take any of it seriously. :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

I just wish they'd show more acts and less "background". I don't care if someone's dog has one leg or their Dad is a crossdresser, I just want to see the acts. I ff through all the fluff and as a result, the show only takes about 20 minutes to watch. They could show twice as many acts if they wanted to. Tuesday night, I think they showed about 6 actual performances in an hour. Pitiful.

And while I like Howard, it's starting to become the Howard show. First his Dad, then Robin, and he gets on stage at least once an episode. Throttle him back a bit.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

America's Got Talent' Contestant Tim Poe Apologizes

"I would like to take the time to tell the American people how truly sorry I am that they had to endure the incomplete facts," Poe told the New York Post in an email interview. "I understand how they feel."

Poe provided the Post with his retirement orders, which indicate that he suffers from an "injury or disease received in the line of duty as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war."

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#38 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

I've been a Howard fan since he first started in NY over 30 years ago I've also been a AGT fan since it first started but all I can say is:

BRING BACK PIERS!

His "dry humor" is missed with Howard who (despite what he says on the radio) rarely "X"'s anyone and certainly doesn't "tell it like it is" as Piers did or they are editing it out.

I also didn't like the "live comments" from the audience which they seemed to cut out last week. It was as "random" as a reality show is "unscripted."

#39 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I don't want Piers back, except maybe as a parking valet for Sharon. If I want a Brit to insult the efforts of a contestant, I can always tune in to The X Factor.

I haven't been a fan of Howard's in the past ... I am now - at least on TV. So far, he hasn't violated any Network Standards or done anything that can be interpreted as gross. IMHO much of what he has done since joining the panel has probably been fed to him by the Producers.

Has anyone noticed if the viewership has moved up or down since he came on board? Not that it matters to me.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Has anyone noticed if the viewership has moved up or down since he came on board? Not that it matters to me.

According to the wikipedia this season's premier had the lowest number of viewers of any premier so far and was below the average viewers per show for each season except the first.

Of course, premier viewers are sight unseen based on the promos and other stuff going on. The show seems to be doing better since the premier ... perhaps the premier was scheduled too early?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...