Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

America's Got Talent 2012 thread

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thanks, James.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

According to the wikipedia this season's premier had the lowest number of viewers of any premier so far and was below the average viewers per show for each season except the first.

Of course, premier viewers are sight unseen based on the promos and other stuff going on. The show seems to be doing better since the premier ... perhaps the premier was scheduled too early?

It was scheduled against the finale of other shows. Other years it wasn't.

2006: 6/21
2007: 6/5
2008: 6/17
2009: 6/23
2010: 6/1
2011: 5/31
2012: 5/14

I've not watched the show before, but figured would watch with Howard this year.

Edited by Sixto, 10 June 2012 - 03:07 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#43 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Has anyone noticed if the viewership has moved up or down since he came on board? Not that it matters to me.

Obviously it does matter or you would not have asked. :grin::lol:;)

Anyway, to answer your question they pushed the show up earlier this year but it's premier was up against a couple finales including Dancing With The Stars, the Bachelorette, Bones & House and it did lousy.

In the weeks following it was on top of the ratings in total viewers.

http://blogs.orlando...ay-ratings.html

#44 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Obviously it does matter or you would not have asked. :grin::lol:;)

Anyway, to answer your question they pushed the show up earlier this year but it's premier was up against a couple finales including Dancing With The Stars, the Bachelorette, Bones & House and it did lousy.

In the weeks following it was on top of the ratings in total viewers.

http://blogs.orlando...ay-ratings.html

It's the truth, TBlazer, I really don't care.

I was simply asking because your previous post wanted Piers back. The implication being that Howard was somehow hurting the program.

Thanks to the info from you and James, I don't think that's an issue.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#45 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

It's the truth, TBlazer, I really don't care.

I was simply asking because your previous post wanted Piers back. The implication being that Howard was somehow hurting the program.

Thanks to the info from you and James, I don't think that's an issue.

I don't think Howard is hurting the show at all, in fact it is the opposite. I just preferred Piers because I felt he was more of a "judge" and sometimes his brutal honesty was hysterical and his "feud" with Howie was great. Now it's just a lovefest of putting through a bunch of crappy acts. Howard said he was going to be honest with everyone as a judge but he's as bad or worse than the other 2 when it comes to "judging." He likes everything.

#46 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I don't think Howard is hurting the show at all, in fact it is the opposite. I just preferred Piers because I felt he was more of a "judge" and sometimes his brutal honesty was hysterical and his "feud" with Howie was great. Now it's just a lovefest of putting through a bunch of crappy acts. Howard said he was going to be honest with everyone as a judge but he's as bad or worse than the other 2 when it comes to "judging." He likes everything.

I can assure you that when the time comes and AGT needs more drama in the panel, you'll get your "feud". ;)

My thinking is that Howard is being short-leashed for this season as a way of showing to the public that he's not an out-of-control loose cannon. After that, watch out! :eek2:

I don't take the premise of this show very seriously. It's just mindless entertainment. One act sings, another squeals; one has dogs, and the other has a sleepy pig. :lol:

At times, behind-the-scenes is more entertaining. There are changes there too. First we had Regis; then Jerry; and now Nick ... why not change the judges from time-to-time as well? It's not like they require any special talent. Does it really matter if a judge gets replaced? That too is part of the show. Howard is a great comical contrast to the grumpy Piers. That there are judging panel changes is just par for the course ... and expected.

It's fun .. bring it on! :P
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#47 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

The overall fakeness of the show also gets to me. I know that the "auditions" we see on TV are not off the street performances. There are levels that lead up to getting in front of the celebrity judges. When the judges complain about an act being a complete waste of time that is an act that was INVITED to perform on stage by the producers. All of the crowd shots of the acts filling a conference center in costume or lined up seem contrived as well.

I auditioned in LA a couple of seasons ago, and the crowd part filling up the rooms and lining up on the street is (was?) accurate...there was a guy in a spandex outfit and about a million colored boas that I truly would have liked to have seen on TV just to find out what the hell he was going to do with all those feathers.....

At least for the singers, the actual audition was two levels removed from getting on stage, and yeah, they definitely cherry pick a few "crowd pleasers" that bypass the audition phase completely....

#48 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I auditioned in LA a couple of seasons ago, and the crowd part filling up the rooms and lining up on the street is (was?) accurate...there was a guy in a spandex outfit and about a million colored boas that I truly would have liked to have seen on TV just to find out what the hell he was going to do with all those feathers.....

At least for the singers, the actual audition was two levels removed from getting on stage, and yeah, they definitely cherry pick a few "crowd pleasers" that bypass the audition phase completely....

So which act and season were you? :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#49 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

So which act and season were you? :)

It was season 5, and never you mind which act I was....:D

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Prince Poppycock? :eek2:

(Show Recap)

#51 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

No problem, I will respect your privacy. But then again, I really like James' response! :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#52 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Prince Poppycock? :eek2:

(Show Recap)

LOL, no I could never walk in those heels......

I didn't make it past the second screening, so I didn't get on stage, but now that I know what goes on backstage, if I decide to do it again, I'll probably get my 90 seconds of fame....;)

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I didn't make it past the second screening, so I didn't get on stage, but now that I know what goes on backstage, if I decide to do it again, I'll probably get my 90 seconds of fame....;)

We'll keep our eyes open next season for a dog act. :)

#54 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Good show the last two nights. Only 1 kid I wanted to see get thru that didn't.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#55 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'm a bit addicted to this show, but I have to say that so far this season the talent shown on TV hasn't been of winning quality and we're seeing way too much of Nick and the judges and not enough of the acts.

And the one irritant in the back of my mind is that at the end, it will be another singer that wins, just like every other year. :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Even the ventriloquist was a great singer. :)

#57 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'm a bit addicted to this show, but I have to say that so far this season the talent shown on TV hasn't been of winning quality and we're seeing way too much of Nick and the judges and not enough of the acts.

And the one irritant in the back of my mind is that at the end, it will be another singer that wins, just like every other year. :(

I look at it like this: When an act comes along that I really like, I ask myself if it's good enough for me to watch and be entertained for an entire hour?

The slightest hesitation on my part in answering that question. usually answers the question.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#58 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Sharon says she's leaving, after NBC didn't choose Jack as a contestant on Stars Earn Stripes because of his MS.

http://www.hollywood...-stripes-358705

#59 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Sharon says she's leaving, after NBC didn't choose Jack as a contestant on Stars Earn Stripes because of his MS.

http://www.hollywood...-stripes-358705

If what Sharon claims is true NBC and Stars earn Stripes producers should be ashamed of their actions. Sharon could very easily file a lawsuit against those involved for discrimination.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#60 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

If what Sharon claims is true NBC and Stars earn Stripes producers should be ashamed of their actions. Sharon could very easily file a lawsuit against those involved for discrimination.

It's a bit convoluted. There was Good Faith, but no signed contract. Sorry to see her go. She was perhaps AGT's best judge.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...