Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

America's Got Talent 2012 thread

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

If what Sharon claims is true NBC and Stars earn Stripes producers should be ashamed of their actions. Sharon could very easily file a lawsuit against those involved for discrimination.

Not necessarily. Especially if he is having symptoms, they may have legitimate concerns. This is apparently a show that includes military type training and they claim, live ammo.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   gaperrine

gaperrine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts
  • LocationDexter MI

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

If what Sharon claims is true NBC and Stars earn Stripes producers should be ashamed of their actions. Sharon could very easily file a lawsuit against those involved for discrimination.

Why would Sharon file a lawsuit? Jack is the one being discriminated against.

#63 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

I don't think we can say he was being discriminated against.

#64 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

I realize most of you will disagree with me yet I believe AGT will soon have run its course. BringIng Stern on was an obvious successful move to create boost interest, create real and or unreal drama. A mthod to create a carnival side show if you will. Sharon's leaving is a true loss especially if she leaves during the season. Too much attention is being pulled away from the performers. AGT should not be a show with a subplot about the judges. If you really, really stretch your imagination AGT could be considered a new "The Howard Stern Show". The two other judges and Nick are his sidekicks and the AGT contestants the guests on his show.

Let's be real. Way down deep AGT's number one priority has nothing to do with sincerely making unknowns "star" performers. They could let a smoking monkey win and the public would still tune in. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the shows multi year viewers have kept track or even care where the past winners and contestants are today. The whole AGT enterprise with its on air and followup tours and such is one massive money making machine.

Now you may begin slashing and ripping me to shreds.

Edited by 1953, 08 August 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

In agreement with your comments, AGT will be on the air as long as it is making money. Just like American Idol.

Piers has better things to do now and especially with the schedule for the live shows being off AGT allows him to concentrate on those other things. As the last original judge he had done his time.

The Howie/Howard battles are annoying ... and if Sharon needed a reason to say that she had done her time this would be a good last season for her. It is a good opportunity to move on. She has promised to stay for the rest of the season ... so the exit should be graceful.

I wish there were less acts that people love to hate. The coming "Judge's Saves" will probably bring a couple back for a second death.

In the talent shows of old it was about the talent ... not building stars over the course of a season. Bringing talented people on for one episode and giving them a chance to amaze. No long repeated stories. Just the talent.

#66 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

This is just fun, guys, lighten up a bit.

You are absolutely right, 1953, but you have to admit the "smoking monkeys" are funny! This is the most fun since "The Ted Mack Amateur Hour".

AGT, IMHO, is not really the "New Howard Stern Show". If it were, he would have been cancelled by now. And judge v judge is not new ... remember the Hoff and Piers exchanges? .. or Len and Bruno? ... or Adam and Christina? … or even Simon and, well … everybody?!

It's still making money because it entertains ... cheesy, yes; but entertaining. Every once in a while, a good act shows up that actually has talent AND wins, but they don't seem to draw too many contestants like Fator any more.

IMO, most people tune in for the bad acts and the judges’ antics. It’s a form of the 70’s variety shows … Carol Burnett & Co., Sonny & Cher, Dean Martin Comedy Hour, etc., just not as talented or funny as those classics.

So Sharon has a beef with NBC and decides this is her swan season. Ok. Get someone else to replace her and keep the fun coming for as long as they can … because if there is one thing that’s for sure, it’s that NBC will unlatch itself from this baby the minute it stops making money.

Meanwhile, have some fun!
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#67 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

I didn't watch this year and interestingly enough didn't miss it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#68 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I didn't watch this year and interestingly enough didn't miss it.

Then you simply don't know what you're missing? Seems fair... :sure:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

They need to have a good winner this year ... another "should have been on American Idol and lost" contestant isn't worth watching.

#70 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

They need to have a good winner this year ... another "should have been on American Idol and lost" contestant isn't worth watching.

I hope so, but history with this show pretty much says, "uh-uh".

All indications are that a singer will not win it ... so my bet's on the dog act. :P
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#71 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

I fast forward through everything but the acts performance so I have no idea what judge antics are going on nor do i really care.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#72 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I fast forward through everything but the acts performance so I have no idea what judge antics are going on nor do i really care.

:D I fast forward through everything but the commericals!

Ah few posts back Henry said "...have some fun" so I'm havin' sum fun.

Edited by 1953, 09 August 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

So, any thoughts on who should replace Sharon?

#74 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

:D I fast forward through everything but the commericals!

Ah few posts back Henry said "...have some fun" so I'm havin' sum fun.

Good for you, 1953!!!
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#75 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Glenn Beck (I have withdrawn Glenn Beck). See post http://www.dbstalk.c...10&postcount=77

Edited by 1953, 10 August 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#76 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

G---- B---

tsk, tsk ... This is a politics-free zone, 1953. You don't want to get into trouble with the Mods.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#77 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

tsk, tsk ... This is a politics-free zone, 1953. You don't want to get into trouble with the Mods.

Okay I withdraw Glenn Beck and suggest Don Imus. He and Stern are already such close friends. I would also suggest Howie be moved to the middle judges chair so that Stern & Imus do not spend all their time talking radio shop. :grin:

#78 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

I would recommend the only REAL and TALENTED winner of AGT ever ... Terry Fator (God, I'd love to be a fly on the wall during those negotiations).
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#79 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Lindsay Lohan

#80 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Lindsay Lohan

Yeah, like Macy Gray and other inanimate objects. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)