Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

America's Got Talent 2012 thread

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   looknow12

looknow12

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Anyone know wht channel to find it on Directv? They are airing nfl preseason currently.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Anyone know wht channel to find it on Directv? They are airing nfl preseason currently.

It seems it's not on at all on DirecTV in our area. I just noticed it wasn't recording and then found it on NYC NBC Sub-Channel 4-2 via my antenna. Very strange that they don't air the AGT results show on the main network channel in NY area.

#83 OFFLINE   looknow12

looknow12

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

It seems it's not on at all on DirecTV in our area. I just noticed it wasn't recording and then found it on NYC NBC Sub-Channel 4-2 via my antenna. Very strange that they don't air the AGT results show on the main network channel in NY area.

Agreed. Surely AGT has larger ratings then a preseason NFL game. However there may have been some sort of contractual obligation to air the game.

#84 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Agreed. Surely AGT has larger ratings then a preseason NFL game. However there may have been some sort of contractual obligation to air the game.

Yea, but in that case they would put it on at 4AM or some ungodly hour not just cancel it. There isn't even a note on wnbcny.com.

From their Twitter feed:
The #Giants/#Patriots game airs on #NBC4NY tonight at 7, and the semis of #AGT will air on NY Nonstop. Channel guide: http://t.co/kiDBNDFB

(NY Nonstop is 4-2 - too bad for DirecTV folks in NY area without an antenna)

#85 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Yea, but in that case they would put it on at 4AM or some ungodly hour not just cancel it. There isn't even a note on wnbcny.com.

From their Twitter feed:
The #Giants/#Patriots game airs on #NBC4NY tonight at 7, and the semis of #AGT will air on NY Nonstop. Channel guide: http://t.co/kiDBNDFB

(NY Nonstop is 4-2 - too bad for DirecTV folks in NY area without an antenna)

In addition to the live showing on the OTA sub-channel I've read the results will air Sunday at 2:00 AM for the area.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#86 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

In addition to the live showing on the OTA sub-channel I've read the results will air Sunday at 2:00 AM for the area.

I see it at 8PM EDST on Sunday for WNBC-NY-4. A bit late for the "surprise" factor. :sure:

#87 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

I see it at 8PM EDST on Sunday for WNBC-NY-4. A bit late for the "surprise" factor. :sure:

I agree it sure is late. I hope most of the viewers who like the show were able to view it through the live OTA feed. IMO this sucks to have a show bumped, the game should have been scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday not a weekday.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#88 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I read somewhere that Stern had a run-in with NBC brass over a comment he made on his radio show regarding Leno.

The run-in included some kind of threat to Stern. Yep, that's the ticket, NBC ... I'm sure he'll shut up now. :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#89 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

We've followed this show for years since the beginning.

Our take is that this is one of the weaker final groups in years.

We also suspect Mr. Stern is one step from being removed...likely at the end of this season.

Disappointing.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#90 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

We've followed this show for years since the beginning.

Our take is that this is one of the weaker final groups in years.

We also suspect Mr. Stern is one step from being removed...likely at the end of this season.

Disappointing.

Why do you suspect Stern is one step from being removed?

#91 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Good question, 1953 ... if I were Stern, I'd be feeling rather encouraged by the media's attention to the NBC rebuff. Even if Stern is seen as a bad addition to AGT, changing him out now, and at the same time that they try to replace Osbourne, would send the wrong message, no?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#92 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

Would be a rather tight spot for NBC. Add the Leno decline then the spot gets even tighter.

#93 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Why do you suspect Stern is one step from being removed?

In reading 2 separate pieces in trade publications since April...the same questions about his longevity on the show were in play. This past week's show was a culmination example of the excessively-negative aura he has exuded to this family-oriented talent show.

No doubt Howard has his loyal fan base. And while his observations are often accurate...the way he communicates things resemble his radio show more than appropriate for a mainstream audience - very cold and blunt at times. That is what is being discussed in the trade publications, and there is speculation he may not get his contract renewed for that same reason.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#94 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

I for one won't miss him if he goes. His incessant need to be center of attention all the time just grates with me.

It seems that every year we see more of the judges and Nick and less of the talent. IMO, they aren't the reason I watch the show. Glad the 30skip works through the showings so I can skip past much of the BS all the judges are throwing out all too often.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#95 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I agree with 1953... NBC may well be in a tight spot. IMHO, they may do it, though. It wouldn't be the first time that network made an imbecilic move.

I've never been a Stern fan so it really doesn't matter to me what happens to him. I once read that his Sirius contract was for $200 million. By comparison, his sojourn at AGT would seem as significant as a part-time job.

Stern adds to the fun with his irreverence and, sometimes, rude behavior - some of it schtik and some of it not. His feud with Howie may or may not be real, but it was predictable. Like Piers before him, Stern can be funny at one point and enfuriating the next.

The show is attractive for its pitting of unrefined talent in the quest for $1 million. To this day, I consider Terry Fator an abberation of Cowel's intent. Terry has done what no other winner has - he has shown true talent and has made it big.

I don't take the show seriously, nor do I hang on every word spoken by the judges, although I hasten to add that without the kind of judges there, the show would fall flat.

But I like it ... Stern and all. It's just fun to watch.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...