Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick method of showing only HD in guide?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   liquidsense

liquidsense

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

I currently am using an HR34.

My understanding is that to show only HD channels in the guide, you have to press Guide twice, then the down arrow 7 times until you get to "HDTV Channels."

Is there a better way that doesn't require 9 button presses? I supposed I could create a favorites list with only HD channels, but that would be tedious. If that's the only method, I'll do it. Just curious if there is a better way.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

I currently am using an HR34.

My understanding is that to show only HD channels in the guide, you have to press Guide twice, then the down arrow 7 times until you get to "HDTV Channels."

Is there a better way that doesn't require 9 button presses? I supposed I could create a favorites list with only HD channels, but that would be tedious. If that's the only method, I'll do it. Just curious if there is a better way.

Most just use Hide SD Duplicates setting. Then only the HD channels (and SD channels without a HD channel) will show up. Only other way to to create a favorites list.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Is there a better way that doesn't require 9 button presses?

Or guide>guide>channel down>select

#4 OFFLINE   liquidsense

liquidsense

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Most just use Hide SD Duplicates setting. Then only the HD channels (and SD channels without a HD channel) will show up. Only other way to to create a favorites list.

Thanks for the insight.

Or guide>guide>channel down>select

Yea, but that's the 9-step button press that I'm trying to avoid. You have to press "channel down" seven times. Strange that you can't just press up and cycle to the bottom of the list.

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

but that's the 9-step button press that I'm trying to avoid. You have to press "channel down" seven times. Strange that you can't just press up and cycle to the bottom of the list.

No if you press channel down (not arrow down) it will take you to the bottom of the list. Try it.

#6 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

You can also change your settings to have the menu come up first when you hit the guide button, thus eliminating one more button push (guide>channel down>select).

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

I supposed I could create a favorites list with only HD channels, but that would be tedious.

Yes, it is a little tedious, but you only have to do it once..
(And then update it when new HD channels are added)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   liquidsense

liquidsense

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

It would be neat if you could custom map buttons. For instance, some of the colored buttons don't do anything when you press them while watching TV. It would be nice to customize one of them to show only the HD channels.

#9 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

It would be neat if you could custom map buttons. For instance, some of the colored buttons don't do anything when you press them while watching TV. It would be nice to customize one of them to show only the HD channels.

Sorry to say but the color buttons are eventually going away.

#10 OFFLINE   liquidsense

liquidsense

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sorry to say but the color buttons are eventually going away.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean they are "going away"? They will de-program those buttons in the future? Why? Are they causing problems? I thought they were helpful (e.g., pressing blue button to show abbreviated guide while watching a channel).

#11 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you mean they are "going away"? They will de-program those buttons in the future? Why? Are they causing problems? I thought they were helpful (e.g., pressing blue button to show abbreviated guide while watching a channel).

Because the new remotes (in hotels) don't have the color buttons (except the red button). I'm not sure why they decided to remove them from the new remotes, that's taking a step back if you ask me.

Mini guide is now also accessed with the enter button.

#12 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I know it isn't going to happen (especially if they are doing away with the colored buttons), but I wish they would go back to the old way of how the remote would operate. I really miss the dash-dash delete. Also, using the green button in the guide to jump ahead a day or two is a lot easier than doing it the other way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...