Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GI JOE 2, Delayed to be 3D Converted

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

http://www.worstprev...d=24940&count=0

I've been looking forward to GI JOE 2 since, the trailers hit about 6 months ago. From the trailers it looks like they were going to do it right this time... The scense for the martial arts and the sword work look awsome.

It was set to release in about 4 weeks.
In fact, just before Avengers it had a long extended trailer promoting it.

But now... it was just announced, it being pulled for 9 months... so it can be converted to 3D.

First... if the movie wasn't filmed in 3D, Directed for 3D, conceptualized in 3D... it is going to be absolutely garbage in 3D.. (3D itself in my opinion is so overrated).

Second... How much is it going to cost you to "covert" to 3D, vs all the re-advertising/promotion you are going to have to do in 9 months... As you basically just totally wasted everything in the last 6 months promoting it.

Third.... 3D in general... The reason why you see the uptake in 3D viewership, is SD Options are less available. Avengers in my area, was in 2D on 1 screen out of the 4 available. It's not that people want to see it in 3D, you are not giving them a choice, and are raking in the extra $3-$5 per ticket.

ARG!!!!!!!!!
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

you are not giving them a choice,

Sure they are, just wait for the Blu Ray release. I've been doing that for nearly 10 years (3 years Blu Ray, 7 years DVD).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Sure they are, just wait for the Blu Ray release. I've been doing that for nearly 10 years (3 years Blu Ray, 7 years DVD).

Very true... I have done that significantly over the last decade.

But there are handfull of movies that I look forward to each year, to make it a date night or guys night.... Avengers, GI Joe, Batman, and SpiderMan are this years...

We also had a Martial Arts Demo night scheduled for the release weekend (booth in the lobby showing off the school).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

We have date night right in our own theater - much better than the public theater.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

We have date night right in our own theater - much better than the public theater.

We do that too, but sometimes it is just nice to get out...
We don't do it often, but... GI Joe wasn't a date night one either.

I am not sure what I am more ticked about... the delay, or the fact they are going to ruin the movie with 3D.

Paramount screwed up the Last Avatar when it pushed it to 3D (over 30 minutes of the movie was removed)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

I'm more bummed about the delay (even longer to get to Blu Ray). I watch the occasional movie on 3D at home, but I could probably do without it.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

I hope all theaters don't convert 100% to 3D. Granted, I don't go out to the movies all that much, but once in awhile there's a movie I do want to go and see. I'll probably see The Hobbit this December-IF I can find it in 2D. I can't see simulated 3D.

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,726 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

I hate this stuff. I'm done with 3D in general. I saw Tron in 3D, and was fine with it. That worked for me. Other than that, 2D only please.

#9 OFFLINE   weevil6772

weevil6772

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

I only dislike the post conversion 3d. Most of it isn't nearly the quality of films shot in 3d.

spam firewall