Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NY Lawmaker Seeks To Ban Anonymous Internet Posting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Introduced by New York State Sen. Thomas F. O'Mara (R—Big Flats), S6779 would require that any anonymous post online is subject to removal if the poster refuses to post — and verify — their legal name, their IP address, and their home address. From the (likely well intentioned) bill:

"A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted."

http://news.yahoo.co...-162549128.html
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thought the ® guys were for smaller government?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

And how do they plan to enforce that?

I would it would presume it would only apply to servers/sites that are hosted in the NY state limits?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

And how do they plan to enforce that?

I would it would presume it would only apply to servers/sites that are hosted in the NY state limits?

Which means that all it will do is drive servers/sites out of NY state.
DogLover

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Election times generate tons of proposals that everyone knows won't go anywhere but gives good ad bait for spin.

Oppose this bill and "X opposes a bill that allows bullying of anonymous people on the internet" "X opposes a bill limited at reducing child abuse online"

Support the bill and it's the opposite. Then the other side comes out with how they want to remove your free speech and big brother crap.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thought the ® guys were for smaller government?

Maybe he's a closet (D) guy.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Must be the New York bar association, pushing this.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,287 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

See the (approx.) 6th ep. of The Newsroom
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...