Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whitney Renewed!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm thrilled. Sure it started real rocky with no chemistry. But the core relationship between Whitney and her live-in BF grew into a super-witty, sexy delight by the end of the season. A real solid core for the show. Now they just need toi make major adjustments to the rest of the crew which admittedly is real spotty and often not funny.

Although the show in general is refreshingly honest about aging, late-twenties to 30-something barfly/clubbing urban party girls trying to keep some kind of post-teen freedom fantasy alive with prodigious amounts of drugs and alcohol in a sea of confused, lonely, lost horny males. These are real characters, I've met some of them. And they don't mince any words about it on the show. Whitney is clear about her past: she was a classic Girl Gone Wild. They call them "ladettes" in Britain. Binge-drinking sluts.

Hopefully she keeps up the edgy, clever dialog between the couple. Who needs the rest of them? Lots of folks hated Whitney. Tough luck, I win!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,722 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Old news dude...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204952
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

Old news dude...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204952

What are you, upfronts cop or something??

#4 OFFLINE   TomH

TomH

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

New to me. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

Heck, I just wanted to break out Whitney since it was quite a controversial show, and had many, many detractors who were kind of dancing on its grave when it looked for sure like it was getting the axe. My wife and I grew to love the show, it's our new "Friends". But I do acknowledge that it had an awful start and struggled to find its chemistry over the first few weeks.

I do hope they juggle a few of the secondary characters for next season. Pretty uneven on that score. But overall we're really looking forward to its return.

Oddly enough, Whitney Cummings' other show "2 Broke Girls" is tasteless and flat as a pancake with some of the most repulsive and unfunny characters to have ever appeared on TV. Yet it gets great ratings. Go figure.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Heck, I just wanted to break out Whitney since it was quite a controversial show, and had many, many detractors who were kind of dancing on its grave when it looked for sure like it was getting the axe. My wife and I grew to love the show, it's our new "Friends". But I do acknowledge that it had an awful start and struggled to find its chemistry over the first few weeks.

I do hope they juggle a few of the secondary characters for next season. Pretty uneven on that score. But overall we're really looking forward to its return.

Oddly enough, Whitney Cummings' other show "2 Broke Girls" is tasteless and flat as a pancake with some of the most repulsive and unfunny characters to have ever appeared on TV. Yet it gets great ratings. Go figure.

We think the two primary characters on "Whitney" carry off some of the best self-aware humor on TV today. And while "2 Broke Girls" is sometimes over-the-top tasteless, we laugh out loud at many of its one-liners as they poke fun at the politically-correct crowd.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

You're right, 2 Brokes gets off some pretty clever zingers, especially at the classic-type customers. I just have a hard time with that giant gross Russian lady who somebody decided to make a central character. When the girls are off on their own outside of that "Ethnic Stereotype Cafe" they can be pretty cool together.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

I just have a hard time with that giant gross Russian lady who somebody decided to make a central character.

Awww. We have always loved Jennifer Coolidge. Though she is best known for playing Stifler's mom in the "American Pie" movies, her work in director Christopher Guest's films "A Mighty Wind", "Best in Show", and "For Your Consideration" was really fun.

In 2005 she won the Teen Choice Award Choice Movie Sleazebag for "A Cinderella Story."

In her IMDb bio it says:

Eventually, Coolidge emerged as a versatile character actress with her no-holds-barred approach to comedy and her vanity-free comfort with playing uninhibited, unappealing characters, and delivering lines with sexual innuendo.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

I just have a hard time with that giant gross Russian lady who somebody decided to make a central character.

Her character is Polish, not Russian, and she's far from a central character. I think she adds to the show with her on again off again thing with Oleg. That helped get rid of the constant sexual harassment from Oleg towards the girls which I thought was getting old.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Kat Dennings is quite good, as is Garrett Morris. Beth Behrs...great legs. Jennifer Coolidge as Sophie has been around more and more, which is why I was liking the show less and less. I have the finale in the DVR. Looks like Martha Stewart instead of Sophie. I guess that's sort of an improvement...

spam firewall