Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about setup for HR34 install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phil_e

phil_e

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Currently my set up has a legacy non-SWM 5LNB Dish into a non-SWM Zinwell WB68 multiswitch. This feeds two houses of a duplex. In my unit I have a HR20-100, H21 and D10. In the other unit there is currently a H21 and 2 x D12.

I have arranged to have my H21 replaced with a HR34. They will also swap out the D10 for a D12, install SWM, DECA with CCK-W or CCK bb.

We do use many of the channels on the 119 sat so I think I still need the 5LNB.

What is the best setup for my install?
Would it be better to:
1. Install a second sat dish (5LNB SWM with 4way SWM splitter)
2. Keep the legacy dish and use a SWM-16 to feed both units(putting a BSF on the 2nd SWM16 output to block my home's DECA cloud in the 2nd home)
3. Keep the legacy dish and use 2 x SWM8 (one for each house) or SWM8 for my house and the legacy non-SWM Zinwell for the other house

Which of the above options gives the strongest signal with the least amount of conflicts or problems? Which options is the simplest for the installer? Which options allow for future upgrades (adding receivers or adding SWM/DECA to the second house)? Are the newer SWM LNB/dishes any better than the older legacy 5LNB dish? Do any do better with rain fade?

Edited by phil_e, 26 May 2012 - 03:19 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Do you have everything under one account or are you running two accounts using the one dish? If you have multiple accounts, then having a new dish put in to separate the the two houses might be best. However, if it is all under one account, you could look at doing the SWM16 and the BSF to keep each side separate. Each side would then have 8 tuners to play with. The one side with the HR34 would be maxed out though. Although you could eventually hook up a second SWM16 and run them in parallel with each side having a SWM16.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   phil_e

phil_e

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

2 seperate accounts on 1 dish

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

2 seperate accounts on 1 dish

If you don't mind two dishes on the house, you might want to go that route. That way each person is responsible in the entirety if anything happens with the system. No issue then if the PI fails and it's in your house and you're gone for a week. Either that or you just set up two SWMs in parallel from the beginning so the only shared item is the dish.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 477 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

What I would do: Leave the existing dish AND the existing WB68 in place. Install a SWM8 (or a SWM16) box for your side, feeding it using four of the cables coming from the WB68. Change everything on your side to SWM wiring with the usual splitters, PI, etc. You are done.

Advantages: Very easy install. Beats the hell out of installing two dishes. The "other side" remains completely untouched and will still work just as it always did. If for some reason the power inserter gets unplugged on your side, the other side will continue to function. When it comes time to convert the other side, just repeat the process over there. The two sides will remain completely isolated.

Disadvantages: the extra hardware (one or two SWM8s). Also a DTV tech may not want to (or know how to) do it this way.

Keith

#6 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

I would wire it the same as PokerJoker but I would forget about the d12 and swap out the D10 with the HR34. This will give you the option of sharing the playlist in all of your rooms (if you are getting the Whole Home DVR service).

Edited by TigersFanJJ, 02 June 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   phil_e

phil_e

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Had my install

DTV tech insisted on disconnecting 2nd house from dish and told me to have them call DTV to get another dish installed for themselves (they currently have their service on vacation). He left the legacy non-SWM 5LNB and replaced the Zinwell with a new SWM16. Swapped out the D10 for D12, HR20 for HR24, and H21 for HR34, installed PI, SWM, DECA(built-in on both HR34 and HR24), and wired CCK-bb. Removed CCK-bb after he left and everything working well.

Ordered AM21N to replace OTA from HR20. My total cost for everthing was $25 with a new 24 month commitment. Great deal!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...