Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switching to HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have been a Dish customer since almost day one. I am finally planning to switch over to HD, but I seem to remember I had difficulty getting a decent line of sight to the two satellites when my Dish 500 was first installed.

The installer finally went to a pole mount and ever since my reception has been fine.

I understand that a new satellite dish will need to be installed for HD and was wondering if the satellite location will be approxamately the same.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

The three satellites are in close proximity so the signal is picked up by the single dish. This is with either the WA or EA. You will normally only have one dish installed for the three satellites. Your installation will probaby remain the same. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I have been a Dish customer since almost day one. I am finally planning to switch over to HD, but I seem to remember I had difficulty getting a decent line of sight to the two satellites when my Dish 500 was first installed.

The installer finally went to a pole mount and ever since my reception has been fine.

I understand that a new satellite dish will need to be installed for HD and was wondering if the satellite location will be approxamately the same.
Thanks

#3 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Ray,
A little unclear - WA or EA ?

#4 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Western Arc/Eastern Arc. Its a term used to associate your installation with which birds you are pointing at as Dish has them on both arcs to accommodate most customers and potential issues like a tree being in the way for one set.

#5 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Got it,
Thanks to all.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Got it,
Thanks to all.

In Northern Maine you may not be able to see the Eastern Arc satellites and can almost be gauranteed that 129 will be too low in the sky. Give Ray your account number or phone number so he can see what is available to you.:)

#7 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

Thanks,
I have sent a PM to Ray.

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

If the OP is in Maine - he almost certainly going to be getting an Eastern Arc setup for HD, since 129 (Western Arc) is too low. He won't see much on 77 either, but that is only being used for some southern US locals anyway.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...