Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mad Men: "The Other Woman" OAD 5/27/12 **SPOILERS**

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

While I was a little shocked that Joan "went for it", it helps to recall her conversation with Don last week where she was literally pining for the old days before she was married when she received bookoo goodies and affection for doling out sexual favors freely. She had so many flowers delivered to her desk that Don thought she was "going out with Aly Khan."

So really, how far a leap was it for her to turn full prostitute? In 1967, it was one of the few opportunities available to the attractive female with no secondary education. And not available at all to the plain Janes. "$50 for the powder room" as Holly Golightly put it. "Party girls" as Don called one of Betty's ex-roommates. But as the show has shown us, sometimes there's no difference between a party girl and a trophy wife except the pay is better with the marriage cert.

As late as 1969, I was working in Manhattan and helped an extremely attractive co-worker move her sailboat into the water out on the island with my car's trailer hitch and all, took a couple of hours. She was Joan class (actually higher, no lie) but not overweight at all. We worked in advertising. So she directs me to this dock in the dark and we walked out there, and apparently she was expecting me to pull a Pete on her to pay me back. I was a shy New England kid expecting her to make the first move. I didn't, she didn't, and she was furious the whole way back to Manhattan. I realized later she was really expecting and planning on responding to the classic Pete attack. Apparently in New York, that's what all guys did to hot girls, and they expected it. Wasn't my style. But when I watch MM now, I do remember that encounter and kind of wonder, "SHOULD I have pulled a Pete? Should I have been that guy she wanted me to be?" But it wasn't me, though I admit to some lingering regret. She was stunning and nice, too. But just to corroborate: Yeah, Manhattanites were a really fast crowd back then! And girls wanted you, expected you to make the hard and fast move. This helps me understand how Pete became Pete, and Don as well. A different world, to be sure.

Wondering, are we supposed to assume Greg is gay? Or just so twisted and insecure he can only have sex while humiliating a woman on the floor? I never really got straight what Weiner was trying to tell us about him. We spent many segments watching him turn his back on Joan just like Sal did to his wife. I miss Sal, I thought I read he was coming back but he never did.

BTW, has Roger ever formally offered to support his kid with Joan? Seems like he did last week but I can't quite remember.

Edited by Maruuk, 28 May 2012 - 08:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Like "2001 A Space Odyssey" it's amazing (and interesting) how much can be read into and taken from a TV show. I'd love to hear from the writer and see what he REALLY meant (if anything at all) about specific sequences. He'd probably say "HUH, WTF is everyone talking about?" :)

:D More than one writer has said that about reviews of their works.

In this case, Weiner did have Semi Chellas as a co-writer, not exactly a lightweight. She was also a co-writer on the "Far Away Places" (LSD trip) episode and has a co-producer credit on all the episodes this season.

Though born in the U.S., she was raised in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Among her other accomplishments, she was the co-creator, executive producer and head writer of the Canadian prime-time dramatic television series "The Eleventh Hour", two-time winner of the Gemini Award for Best Series. Chellas shared the Gemini for Best Writing in 2005 for the series finale.

I always wonder what contributions each co-writer makes given the strong hold Weiner has on this series.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,212 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

And Weiner isn't exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to talking about his show. Pretty sure you can find him on AMC's website most weeks, and elsewhere.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Oh yeah, read a little Weiner on MM and you realize he has intentionally embedded all kinds of meanings and layers of inference in there.

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

I just had to note the article in AdAge today What Jaguar Had to Say About Its Portrayal on 'Mad Men':

British automaker Jaguar had been enjoying a bit of the limelight -- not to mention free publicity -- over the past several weeks.... Then David Pryor, VP-brand development for JaguarUSA, watched Sunday night's episode with equal parts shock and amusement as the storyline took a salacious turn....

"I'm a big fan of the show and it was gratifying to see our brand portrayed," Mr. Pryor told AdAge.com. Then he added, laughing, "I would say we were fairly surprised at the turn of events."

Mr. Pryor said Jaguar had no control over the script and that he, like everybody else, saw the latest episode when it aired Sunday night. He said that "Mad Men" researchers only reached out to Jaguar's archivist to ask questions about the advertising in the 1960s and what a typical dealership and showroom might look like....

"As I watched the show, I was wondering where the pitch was going to go, especially with the whole mistress thing," Mr. Pryor said. "One connection I liked was, they went down this emotional path. They weren't trying to sell the car, they were building on this emotional connection, this love, this lust that people had for the brand back then and that we're trying to recreate now."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hey, they can always hire Ginsberg, I'm sure he's still available!

Like any worthy mistress, they always broke down at the most inopportune time and were way too high maintenance. And Lucas, the Prince of Darkness was always up to his devilish tricks. These things had 6-volt batteries! Jaguar mechanics put their kids through Ivy League schools on these junk boxes. Tweaking that trio of 2" SU carbs alone could take all day.

"It did nothing for me!"

Smartest thing you ever said, Don. Way it works is, you do for it!

Edited by Maruuk, 29 May 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#27 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,212 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

The article phrelin quotes wisely doesn't repeat the line that it's nothing but a mechanical minefield. I don't recall the words, nor whether Don said them or someone else....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Should be a book out with nothing but great MM quotes. My all time fave is:

"Sterling Cooper has more failed artists and intellectuals than the Third Reich!"

#29 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

I am absolutely loving this season. I had my wife watch the the other seasons over the winter and spring so that I'd have someone to watch with. She's as hooked as I am. We record the episode each Sunday with the understanding that neither will even think about watching the show without the other.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#30 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Mine is hooked without even watching anything before this season! And yes, it is a definitely a Must Watch as a Couple scenario.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...