Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTv Everywhere or not everywhere

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Why not be mad at Apple for not designing the iPad the way you want it?

Does Apple promise that using a jailbroken device will work will all apps developed by others? Here's an idea, if you want to use the DIRECTV app then don't jailbreak you iPad.

I'm not mad at Apple I just don't use any Apple devices. The only ones I know of in the entire family are two Ipods and they were won as prizes. If they were not won in drawings they would not have been bought.

No Tablets either of any brand.

That Apple is a control freak about their devices is a good reason not to buy along with the cost.

What proof do you have of this?

When I had both services years ago and I wanted locals, back before they rolled them out everywhere. D* said sorry, E* gave me NYC and LA.

That cost E* in the long run but they were more prone to push the limits.

It would be nice to be able to attach your external drive to any DIRECTV dvr. I'm sure they are trying to prevent something like this happening. Someone that pays for the premium channels, records several movies. Then they let their friend that only has the entertainment package, borrow the drive, attach it to their dvr and watch premium programming for free. That takes potential revenue out of DIRECTV's pocket.

That isn't the fear at all. From My understanding of it. All content moved to the Dishnetwork external is encrypted. The drive as I understand it only works on DVRs that are on the same account using a Key tied to that specific account.
DirecTV could do that to by locking the drive to only work on a specific account, Instead they tie it to the DVR so that when that DVR dies the contents are lost. I'm speculating now that it may be done that way since the external replaces the internal with DirecTV rather than working along with the internal like Dish does.

107 megs for $107?! I would be all over that! The 100meg connection here is over $200. So envious right now...

My Cable company offers Ultimate 101meg for $100 a month.

The only time I've EVER had issues with Netflix rebuffering was if there was a problem with my internet feed of my own hardware. Happens VERY infrequently (seldom enough that I'd like to say never)....rebooting a router usually takes care of it.

I've got 20mbps service and I stream Netflix over my wireless system, through the wireless CCK of my whole house system to my PS3. Speed test on my PS3 normally shows I'm getting about 13mbps over my wireless N network, perfect for streaming HD content with 5.1DD surround sound without any rebuffering or stuttering, or retraining resolution.

If you're having issues, checking internet speed at your PC isn't much help. When I've had issues (like I said, VERY seldom) my internet speed can look perfect, but when I get to the end of the pipe (so to speak) I find I'm only feeding the PS3 about 500kbps....reboot of the W-CCK or the router fixes me right up.

If I'm reading it right you are saying you lose 1/3 of the internet speed by being wireless? I only run wired on a Gigabit network at home. I'll go so far as to say that the first thing I did when I upgraded the router to one with Gigabit ports was go into the configuration and turn off the wireless. I had no problem getting wires to all three floors. Includes the basement wher ethe Modem, router and switch are. I may be lucky in that the old hot air ducts were left in the walls when the conversion to baseboard was done.

They do make handy wire chases to go from the basement to every room.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

When I had both services years ago and I wanted locals, back before they rolled them out everywhere. D* said sorry, E* gave me NYC and LA.

That cost E* in the long run but they were more prone to push the limits.

Still not proof that DirecTV is "in bed" with anyone.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#103 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I think our very own P Smith did a little research and found that many of the HD set tops like the H24 for example has 1GB of memory.

I think 1GB should be enough to stage a buffer to do instant streaming on demand. It would be great for DirecTV to bring on demand into more rooms for better exposure and also potential revenue generation with paid content from DirecTV Cinema on Demand.

Lets take a hard drive less BD Player or even a Nintendo Wii for example. Both can do Netflix instant streaming. I'm not sure how much memory is in various BD Players, but the Wii has 512mb (half that of an H24 if P Smith is right). Add in the various game saves and downloadable content you can install on the Wii, and you have even less storage space... but somehow Netflix still works.

I have no problem with the current model of "Download on Demand". Great way to "queue up" and save a list of VOD titles for watching later. However bringing quicker VOD access and into other non-dvr rooms would really improve the feature offerings. Of course that would mean the software needs to do a speed check and verify that the connection is good to enable the feature. Also DirecTV would need to employ some CDN's for fast, distributed and cached access to regional edge servers where the user's ISP can find the fastest route. Limelight Networks or Level3 are 2 very successful players they could partner with.

When you have all this content cached and served from CDN's, you can then truely offer a "DirecTV Everywhere" offering. The same VOD content available on a tablet, phone, pc, xbox, or regular HD set top box in another room.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#104 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

....That isn't the fear at all. From My understanding of it. All content moved to the Dishnetwork external is encrypted. The drive as I understand it only works on DVRs that are on the same account using a Key tied to that specific account.
DirecTV could do that to by locking the drive to only work on a specific account, Instead they tie it to the DVR so that when that DVR dies the contents are lost. I'm speculating now that it may be done that way since the external replaces the internal with DirecTV rather than working along with the internal like Dish does.

It could still be DIRECTV's fear, they may have just gone down an easier path to prevent someone from lending their external drive to a friend. Maybe they just haven't seen a need to use additional programming resource to make it work like DISH. Especially since out of the 26 million customers, I'll bet only a small percentage use an external hard drive. I don't have any.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#105 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

I think our very own P Smith did a little research and found that many of the HD set tops like the H24 for example has 1GB of memory.

I think 1GB should be enough to stage a buffer to do instant streaming on demand.

And where would you keep the guide data??
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#106 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

You know the expressions: "Never say 'never'"!

And "Seldom say 'seldom'".

A distinction needs to be made. Thanks, Runner.

And, even here, spelling and grammar flames suck......

#107 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

And where would you keep the guide data??

Back when I was a renter vs a homeowner, I had Comcast. The first DVR I had was a Motorola DCT-6412 which only had 128mb of ram and 64mb of flash. It had no issue containing guide data for 12 days. Granted it was (and still is) a very rudimentary 16 color basic UI with no poster art or anything, but still that is a fraction of the data. The hard drive was only 120GB and none of the guide data was saved on the drive. If you power cycled it, all guide data was lost for literally HOURS. That was always a major complaint across many user forums online.

Plus none of the poster art or "My DirecTV" is even on the H21/22/23/24. They could theoretically do that stuff if they utilized the internet for data. The screen would be nothing more than a glorified web browser with certain key images cached, much like the Xfinity X1 platform that is starting to slowly roll out:

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#108 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Back when I was a renter vs a homeowner, I had Comcast. The first DVR I had was a Motorola DCT-6412 which only had 128mb of ram and 64mb of flash. It had no issue containing guide data for 12 days. Granted it was (and still is) a very rudimentary 16 color basic UI with no poster art or anything, but still that is a fraction of the data. The hard drive was only 120GB and none of the guide data was saved on the drive. If you power cycled it, all guide data was lost for literally HOURS. That was always a major complaint across many user forums online.

Plus none of the poster art or "My DirecTV" is even on the H21/22/23/24. They could theoretically do that stuff if they utilized the internet for data. The screen would be nothing more than a glorified web browser with certain key images cached, much like the Xfinity X1 platform that is starting to slowly roll out:

You're failing to see the point here. Take a few steps back and look at the entire forest instead of just the one tree you're standing in front of.

You want VOD/Streaming on your H24/25, I get that. You think you've found a way that DirecTV can do this by using the, potentially, 1GB of flash memory in the H2X's. What you're not seeing is that flash memory is already in use to store the guide data.

I don't know about you but on my H24/25 I'd rather have guide data than VOD/Streaming. If you want VOD/Streaming get a DVR.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#109 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

It could still be DIRECTV's fear, they may have just gone down an easier path to prevent someone from lending their external drive to a friend. Maybe they just haven't seen a need to use additional programming resource to make it work like DISH. Especially since out of the 26 million customers, I'll bet only a small percentage use an external hard drive. I don't have any.

That low usage could be because of the limited utility of an external drive.

But if you could archive to the external drive, move it to any DVR on the account and play the content, and choose to record to the internal or external drive when setting a timer. Then a simple little blurb in the bill and maybe a promo channel advertising the cool new feature.

Disclaimer: The quote below is not a current feature set it is more of a wishlist.

Attach a external drive and be able to move content to any DVR on your account.
No more losing your shows due to upgrading your DVR.
Store your videos on the external drive and if your DVR dies your content is safe.
Note for ultimate content safety a external drive with mirroring is required.
Maybe even make a NAS device work. Sort of an alternative to MRV but with control of what the other DVRs can see. Thus only what is on the NAS could be accessible everywhere. That would allow private content on the DVR and shared (public) on the NAS.

Would not a feature list such as that make a external drive more desirable?

As currently configured a external drive has limited appeal. No matter how big it is people will fill it up and run out of room. for some people a DVR drive is like a closet, no matter how big it is they fill it.

My usage of a DVR is capture and release. I record it, watch it and delete it. I've seen it so in general I don't need a huge drive. Anything I really want to keep I capture to the computer and put on a BluRay blank and erase it from the DVR and the Computer. :D

Edited by TBoneit, 07 June 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#110 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

If you want VOD/Streaming get a DVR.

I have a DVR. It's in the living room.

So if twice the amount of memory than a video game system still can't stream... why not utilize my deca cloud and the resources in my home? Think of my HR24 as network attached storage then. The non-dvr's obviously know about this storage, as MRV works fine for me. So why can't they utilize this resource to pull down VOD screens and allow for selection and playback of VOD content? Sure you could walk into the other room do a search and download content, then walk back to the other room and play it.... But I'm thinking more of a "terminal services / citrix / vnc" approach where you can actually initiate the content from other rooms.

Doesn't sound impossible to me. In fact if we immediately disregard an idea as impossible and not even explore it, we wouldn't have any innovation or the technology that we have today. How does that apply to this topic? It's DirecTV VOD Everywhere. A DVR room, a regular HD set top room, a tablet, a laptop, a smartphone, etc... You pay the bill, you watch it where and how you want.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#111 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have a DVR. It's in the living room.

Then you have VOD. :D

So if twice the amount of memory than a video game system still can't stream... why not utilize my deca cloud and the resources in my home?

That's not a bad idea but might be a big resource hog, who knows. Who knows what DirecTV may/may not already have planned?

Think of my HR24 as network attached storage then.

We don't have to think of it as such, it already is. Download VOD to your HR24 then watch it on your H24/H25. Bingo, VOD on your H24/H25!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#112 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Since this topic was actually about "DirecTv Everywhere or not everywhere" and has gone slightly off topic, I just saw a DTV commercial for D.T.E. and I must say, after watching it twice I found it to be quite "misleading." The impression it leaves you with (especially for it's intended target, the NON-subscriber) is just a bit off.

Yea folks, I'm sure the lawyers have combed it with a fine tooth comb for "truth in advertising" but still, just a tad bit misleading and just might leave you with the wrong impression.

#113 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

it makes me angry
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#114 OFFLINE   e500

e500

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

DirecTV Everywhere ≠ all live channels received + recordings, anywhere

Slingbox Pr0 HD = all live channels received + recordings, anywhere

#115 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

:rotfl: to the "Some DirecTv, Someplaces" comment
once again DISH is way ahead in that department :D

Ignore List
domingos35

One less useless troll post I have to read on every thread.
Quality of life improved!

On that note, yes this technology is still in beta. Give it time, I have heard good things are coming.

#116 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

dude IKR...he trolls his own forums to so...*shrugs*
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...