Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bye Bye Blackberry... maybe.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Looking at market closing news today it appears that several are saying that RIMM's days may be numbered.
They have apparently hired JP Morgan to help coach them, and many are saying that they are likely to be ripe for the taking. Analysts doibt any big players like HTC would be interested, but some smaller Chinese companies could be players.

Does anyone here still use Blackberry? :confused:
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I do, though I use it mostly for email. I actually like 7.1, though I do also like iOS and have an iPad. I hate Android. Blackberry is the best for Exchange integration to me, using BES.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, I've been saying that BB is in trouble for quite some time now. They just don't get it. They've been stuck in limbo between business phone and consumer phone and can't get either right. I switched from BB to Android almost exactly a year ago, and I don't miss anything about BB. Even the email is better on Android. Using an email app like TouchDown is hands down superior to BB, and it's not even that close.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Most of my support calls are from users that chose Android and Touchdown for email.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

I hate Android. Blackberry is the best for Exchange integration to me, using BES.

+1.
My company swapped out my Blackberry two years ago for an Android. While I like the internet and WiFi hotspot on the Android, it's integration with my email, contacts and calendars is sadly lacking when compared to a BB.

#6 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

BB is tops for email and their handsets have better reception than most.

I had an Android and hated it. Sold it and went back to BB. I don't play games or watch videos on my phone though.

There is nothing wrong with BB for business. It will never be a kids phone.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Switched exactly two years ago to an Android phone and couldn't be happier.

I use it strictly for a phone, email, calendar, and contacts - no games, no videos, none of the "extras" (well, occasionally I'll use the GPS). Does everything my BB did, but better.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

I think part of my frustration with android is fragmentation. I can't restrict users to particular models, so I've got units with multiple UIs, OS version is at the whim of the carrier. Walking a user through something is challenging if they can't even find the power button or need to get new hardware and are upset that they have to rebuy apps because they have no idea what their Google email address is, let alone the password. I don't run into that much on Apple units.

Though I am still trying to get some users to update past 3.x or 4.1, and some that can't.

#9 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

I dislike both Android (fragmentation, polluted market) and iPhone, even I see the end of RIM. And look at my handle :(

I recently switched to a very nice Nokia Lumia Windows Phon 7.5.

Exchange integration (via Exchange Active Sync) is fine. I like the UI (Metro is different, if nothing else) and finally gave up on my BlackBerry.

They aren't dead. Yet. But they are hurting and will be for the next two years.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

You moved off Blackberry?! That's almost like Stuart Sweet going to Dish. I remember you from your mod days. I will say the two users I have with Windows Phone, love it.

I'm also curious, those that say their Android phone does email better...how so? I can't tell you how many times I've had a user say that their phone does this or that in comparison to Blackberry, and I can say, yep mine can do that as well.

Sometimes it's a matter of OS version, sometimes what an admin allows or doesn't allow.

#11 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have a list of things that Windows Phone 7 can't do, that BlackBerry can..
But I switched and I am sticking with it. I guess I just got bored with the sameness...

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

On the Blackberry side, I just hope they allow trading in BES licenses for BB10 Mobile Fusion licenses.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Most of my support calls are from users that chose Android and Touchdown for email.

That may be, but TouchDown is light years better than BlackBerry. It is very powerful, with many more features, so maybe some of the less tech-savvy people will have some questions.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Examples?

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

They already announced a workforce cut of 2000-6000 jobs. They've acknowledged that their tablet has failed to produce any value to their brand and that at this point if BB10 doesnt' take off they're just going to be a niche product or an acquisition for a patent portfolio.

Supposedly Canada is thinking about government assistance in some manner so that they can keep a global cellular company in the market place. Overall though this has been something that's been happening for a long time. The similarity between them and TiVo is astounding.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

A thread from a year ago on this topic. :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

A thread from a year ago on this topic. :lol:

http://www.dbstalk.c...845#post2733845

Whoops. ;)

The irony of his current avatar isn't lost on me either. :D

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

http://money.cnn.com...berry.cnnmoney/

#19 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

More bad news for RIM here. Seems to me delaying Blackberry 10 is just compounding their problems.

#20 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

More bad news for RIM here. Seems to me delaying Blackberry 10 is just compounding their problems.

RIM is circling that drain or death slowly and will eventually drop in. I really don't think there is anything they can do to save themselves at this point, With private companies dropping them slowly, it's just a matter of time. Even consumers don't want to wait anymore for BB next big thing that might revive them.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...