Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bye Bye Blackberry... maybe.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

The vultures are circling, RIMM is in big trouble.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I was a huge RIM fan, now all iPhone/iPad/Apple TV ... (what a shame).

You need to very nimble these days.

Used to say the same about TiVo, until I moved to HR2x/HR3x.

Never a dull moment.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

My company has gone to all iPhones now. We're all very happy.

#24 Guest_jessicalennita_*

Guest_jessicalennita_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Well most of the customers shifted to the android as they have many useful features and i am one among them. Android is a great platform which provides a way to access many applications and i think people using BB are in a rare count now.

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

My company has gone to all iPhones now. We're all very happy.

Well most of the customers shifted to the android as they have many useful features and i am one among them. Android is a great platform which provides a way to access many applications and i think people using BB are in a rare count now.

I suspect our company (20,000+ employees) will go the Android route if RIM goes much further south - Android is already are supported for some product-specific apps and integrated solutions, while Apple products are banned for company use.

Ironically, I just got a new BB Torch 9500 series issued a few weeks back, and asked "what if..." questions. The response I got was "we'll look at alternatives if and when the time comes". I suspect a plan is already in place should RIM fold or get bought.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Just curious, why are Android devices allowed, and iPhones banned? Of course I understand if you can't say for security reasons etc. Just thinking that a lot of the issues that could be a reason for iPhone could also apply to Android.

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Just curious, why are Android devices allowed, and iPhones banned? Of course I understand if you can't say for security reasons etc. Just thinking that a lot of the issues that could be a reason for iPhone could also apply to Android.

I actually asked that question and was told that the iOS security standards were "not acceptable", whereas the Android security standards "could be managed". In addition, "iOS devices "were far too costly to purchase and maintain in comparison".

[Keeping in mind that literally many thousands of devices would be impacted]

One of the sad ironies is that my Torch BB device works extremelly well - the best BB to date (had 4 of them over time).

I'm simply conveying the information I was given from corporate IT Management, as opposed to stating any opinion on this topic.

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Unfortunately, as in politics, there are lobbyists (or internal zealots) in IT. Whether what they say is true or not isn't a consideration until after they are "discovered".

I remember when someone convinced the local community college that Apple ][ computers with CP/M cards (a Z80 based computer on a card) was a better platform for running Wordstar (the defacto standard prior to Word Perfect) than anything else available at the time.

From my perspective, Exchange Server is the problem and if it weren't for Exchange Server and RIM's mastery of it, RIM would have disappeared years ago.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

From my perspective, Exchange Server is the problem and if it weren't for Exchange Server and RIM's mastery of it, RIM would have disappeared years ago.

That could very well be. Then again...Exchange server works quite well with RIM.

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I actually asked that question and was told that the iOS security standards were "not acceptable", whereas the Android security standards "could be managed". In addition, "iOS devices "were far too costly to purchase and maintain in comparison".

[Keeping in mind that literally many thousands of devices would be impacted]

One of the sad ironies is that my Torch BB device works extremelly well - the best BB to date (had 4 of them over time).

I'm simply conveying the information I was given from corporate IT Management, as opposed to stating any opinion on this topic.

Interesting. Of course right now I'm trying to get a Good server in here, to better manage both. As for IT lobbyists, I try to stay fairly neutral.

I have suggested Blackberry still to some users that only care about Exchange access and want a physical keyboard. I recommend iPhone more often than Android, mostly because we've had more users regret going Android. If the user is more computer adept, sometimes I have recommended a good Android unit. The only one I don't recommend is Windows Phone.

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Interesting. Of course right now I'm trying to get a Good server in here, to better manage both. As for IT lobbyists, I try to stay fairly neutral.

I have suggested Blackberry still to some users that only care about Exchange access and want a physical keyboard. I recommend iPhone more often than Android, mostly because we've had more users regret going Android. If the user is more computer adept, sometimes I have recommended a good Android unit. The only one I don't recommend is Windows Phone.

I'm praying a Windows phone standard is not an option at work, should RIM end up out of the picture. I'm with ya on that.

#32 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

After 11 years with a BB (from the 950 and 957 to the 9900) I cut the cord. I have a Windows Phone 7 and like it a lot. Absolutely no issues. Integrates nicely with Exchange ActiveSync.

RIM has bet the ranch on BB 10 and is burning through cash as they try to overcome the fact that they haven't had a new phone in 9 months and won't for another 6.

Android - well, if you can get past the cesspool that is their Marketplace, is a very nice platform. iOS and the iPhone is what it is. They have sold 250 million since it was released. It must appeal to some <sarcasm>.

RIM, I fear, is going down the road of Palm and Nortel...

#33 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm praying a Windows phone standard is not an option at work, should RIM end up out of the picture. I'm with ya on that.

WM I think is the strongest of the OS's out there at the moment. The only thing it lacks really is a high end phone on a CDMA carrier.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   ChipperJones

ChipperJones

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Goodriddance!

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Well the primary reason I don't recommend it is its dead certainly at least to Windows Phone 8, at least. I do have one user with one, he loves it.

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

RIM has bet the ranch on BB 10 and is burning through cash as they try to overcome the fact that they haven't had a new phone in 9 months and won't for another 6.

For the first time, I'm going to have to tell people we don't support BB. I'm not putting in a Mobile Fusion server, even on a VM, for a few users.

Edited by dpeters11, 30 July 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

The only thing it lacks really is a high end phone on a CDMA carrier.

It seems quite apparent that it lacks an upgrade path.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#38 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

It offers the same upgrade path as Apple: buy a new one.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#39 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

It seems quite apparent that it lacks an upgrade path.

Actually it's almost the opposite with WM8 coming out things are on hold and the fact that CDMA carriers have more power over phone manufacturers doesn't help as well.

The Lumina 900, as of now, is slated to not get the WM8 upgrade so there's almost no compelling reason for a carrier to pick it up if it hasn't already. The key is if they can get a WM8 phone to launch the same time they launch Windows 8.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

The problem is there IS no upgrade path from WP7; MS has come out and said no current phone will get WP8...so that kind of nukes any possible momentum they would have gotten.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...