Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Look at Which is Better: W-CCK as Wired Vs. 2way w/CCK

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

The WiFi DECA(W-CCK) can be used as a wired bridge to the internet. That leaves the question of: When the wired internet connection is next to a receiver, is it better for the satellite power level to use a W-CCK inline or split the line with a 2way and use a CCK?

To answer that I used the AIM to run a transponder survey. I used the same coax cables each time, and just replaced the piece connecting the two cables together. I ran the test using an F81, a 2way splitter, and a W-CCK. I ran the test on both SWM channel 1(normally just guide data) and channel 9. Here are my results(abbreviated to just the 99).

Through F81 - Channel 1
Spoiler

Through W-CCK - Channel 1
Spoiler

Through 2way Splitter - Channel 1
Spoiler

Through F81 - Channel 9
Spoiler

Through W-CCK - Channel 9
Spoiler

Through 2way Splitter - Channel 9
Spoiler

It would appear the W-CCK has ~0.5 dB higher loss than a 2way, making the 2way and CCK option more preferable if all you care about is power level.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

1) it's nice to see someone using the AIM to make these measurements.

2) I'm not sure if 0.5 dB is anything more than "measurement error", or simply a variation between components under test. A larger test sample size should give some idea of this.

3) There are several ways to "skin a cat". It looks like the W-CCK "merely" has a green labeled 2-way, which isn't the most effective method, as it could have been done with a BSF and a bypassing circuit that its DECA was connected to, which would have only needed 12 caps & 12 inductors, "at most".
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

1) it's nice to see someone using the AIM to make these measurements.

2) I'm not sure if 0.5 dB is anything more than "measurement error", or simply a variation between components under test. A larger test sample size should give some idea of this.

3) There are several ways to "skin a cat". It looks like the W-CCK "merely" has a green labeled 2-way, which isn't the most effective method, as it could have been done with a BSF and a bypassing circuit that its DECA was connected to, which would have only needed 12 caps & 12 inductors, "at most".

Appreciate the input VOS. I'll run this test a few more times when I get more WiFi DECAs.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Appreciate the input VOS. I'll run this test a few more times when I get more WiFi DECAs.

I think you've already shown the significant information, which is they're using a damn internal splitter instead diplexing. I just don't understand why, as filtering would be more efficient.

What this really shows is to NOT use a W-CCK off a 2-way splitter, as the DECA signal will have twice the loss needed to do the job.

Edited by veryoldschool, 29 May 2012 - 05:02 PM.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...