Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trend: local stations share news staffs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,136 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

From a NY Times article today headlined You Can Change the Channel, but Local News Is the Same:

Call a reporter at the CBS television station here, and it might be an anchor for the NBC station who calls back. Or it might be the news director who runs both stations’ news operations.

...The same kind of sharing takes place in dozens of other cities, from Burlington, Vt., where the Fox and ABC stations sometimes share anchors, to Honolulu, where the NBC and CBS stations broadcast the same morning show. The changes have drawn the ire of critics, who charge that there are fewer and fewer journalists actually covering local news. The agreements behind this sharing are also attracting the attention of another group of viewers - federal regulators.

...The Federal Communications Commission does not know how many agreements exist between stations, making it impossible to judge their effects. But Julius Genachowski, the F.C.C. chairman, indicated last week that the commission was beginning to study the issue. "It’s something we’re taking a close look at the F.C.C." he said. He sounded especially curious about what he called behind-the-scenes cooperation between stations that collaboratively sell ads and negotiate contracts with distributors.

This is why I keep saying the original 1958 economic model of having federally licensed local multiple broadcast stations, particularly one each affiliated with national networks, is a model that in most DMA's should have died during the past decade and most certainly should die this decade.

Right now there are agreements in at least 83 of the nation’s 210 television markets.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Our local NBC affiliate handles the news for our local FOX affiliate. They even advertise each other's news casts.

Up until about a year about it was handled by the CBS affiliate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

KCAL and KCBS have been sharing news staff long before I left Southern California (and that was 2003). A friend of mine who worked or KCAL for a number of years said the reporters were told to hold the microphone with a slight angle in order that 9 and 2 showed (9 was one side A & C while 2 was on B & D).

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#4 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Our local NBC affiliate handles the news for our local FOX affiliate. They even advertise each other's news casts.

Up until about a year about it was handled by the CBS affiliate.

The NBC affiliate here handles the news for the MY Network affiliate (WATL 36) and has no qualms about airing the "11 Alive News"

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Denver has been doing it for several years with the Fox and CW channel, they share anchors, helicopter (think all 5 of them share the 1 heli) and advertise for the other channel for original programming.

#6 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,420 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

This is why I keep saying the original 1958 economic model of having federally licensed local multiple broadcast stations, particularly one each affiliated with national networks, is a model that in most DMA's should have died during the past decade and most certainly should die this decade.

"Original 1958"? Did you mean 1926? That's when there was first such a thing as a Federally licensed local broadcast station that affiliated with a national network (that's when the first network, NBC, began operations).

What type of model do you suggest replacing the current system with?
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,136 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

"Original 1958"? Did you mean 1926? That's when there was first such a thing as a Federally licensed local broadcast station that affiliated with a national network (that's when the first network, NBC, began operations).

What type of model do you suggest replacing the current system with?

I think the broadcast TV economic model wasn't firmly in place until about 1958.

IMHO we are at the point where the national networks should simply be national cable channels, perhaps fed separately for each time zone. That would put them in competition with the other national channels - cable channels - both for advertising and retransmission fees.

That wouldn't preclude local broadcast stations having affiliations for those who watch OTA, but those broadcast stations need to compete through their own efforts not grab my dime through cable/satellite retrans fees. In most DMA's with the effective use of subchannels, only three to four licensees would ever be needed.

Oh, and the dozen or so PBS stations we have here in the Bay Area DMA.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

You see that in markets where for example the ABC and the NBC stations are owned by the same company. Why pay for 2 different news teams and just share the one. It really sucks up in Jacksonville Fl as the ABC and NBC is one news team and the FOX and CBS is the other News team. So if it was not for independent Channel 4 then Jville would only have 2 local news teams. What a shame.....

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

When Comcast Purchased NBC (or got majority share)....
It took a few months, but now our Local NBC News, basically got rid of their sports department.

It is now handled by the staff of the Comcast Sports Net (NBC Sports station).
They are the anchors and the story people as well.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

When Comcast Purchased NBC (or got majority share)....
It took a few months, but now our Local NBC News, basically got rid of their sports department.

It is now handled by the staff of the Comcast Sports Net (NBC Sports station).
They are the anchors and the story people as well.

Our local NBC affiliate got rid of their sports department too. They now use ESPN.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,764 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

NBC in the SF Bay Area calls their people Comcast Sports- or is it Xfinity sports now? But it seemed that at least initially, they were the same people. I will pay better attention tonight.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,420 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I think the broadcast TV economic model wasn't firmly in place until about 1958.

Not sure what's so magical about 1958 -- the economic model really has been pretty much the same since the networks began operating in the late 1920s. (In fact, many aspects of U.S. television broadcasting can be traced back to then, from the concept of the "station break" consisting of local commercials during network programming, to the concept of "8:00 Eastern and Pacific/7:00 Central and Mountain.")

Oh, and the dozen or so PBS stations we have here in the Bay Area DMA.:rolleyes:

Don't confuse "noncommercial" with "PBS" -- there appear to be only three PBS member stations in the Bay Area DMA (KQED/9, KRCB/22, and KQEH/54).

The PBS model is actually closer to syndication than to a network affiliation, hence the existence of several stations carrying PBS programming in many markets. (PBS does have one major "competitor," American Public Television -- many noncommercial stations carry programming from both PBS and APT.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

spam firewall