Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Options

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Sister in-law has a 722 with three other boxes (non-DVR) in the house. Their DP switch is maxed out. She needs to add another box to her account for her son who is renting a remodeled barn outside. What are their best options?
Another dish with it's own box? Add another DP switch and run cable to another box in the barn? Or would she be better ($wise$) to get the Hopper for the main and enough Joey boxes for all other TVs?
I was asked about it and did not know for sure the best course of action for them.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mokanic, 04 June 2012 - 05:36 PM.
Solved

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Easiest would be to cascade another switch and run coax to the barn with the new receiver. The setup could be anywhere from six to 10 tuners as you did not supply info on the three other receivers or the new one, the Hopper may be an option but for 10 tuners, she would have to buy at least one of the Hoppers and may cost more for the upgrade than it would be worth.

#3 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Sister in-law has a 722 with three other boxes (non-DVR) in the house. Their DP switch is maxed out.

I'm assuming this is 722/211/211/211, this would have to be a DPP switch, or DPP44. Specifics are important for anyone here to help you, like how far is the barn from the switch? If more than 200' you want a separate dish on the barn.
1. What model switch? DP34, DPP44, DPP33...
2. Distance to barn
3. DVR wanted in barn? HD?
4. Existing receiver models? 722....

#4 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Right now, I don't have specific details about what boxes are where. I haven't been over there in a while. I remember the 722, but I don't recall the others. Sorry for the sketchy info.
I will be over there this weekend to check out the actual set-up and will relay better info when I return.
I went to Dish.com and put in package and number of TV's and it recommended two Hopper and three Joey set-up no matter what I chose for other details.
Remodeled barn is about 100' behind house. They may have a LOS issue for WA if we put up a new dish and add a receiver(trees).
BTW - if a new dish is put up and there is LOS for WA and we point the new dish to the EA, is this going to cause an issue with their account because each dish is pointed to different satellites? Or does that not matter as long as the dish/boxes are located at the same address?
Her son doesn't want to have to pay a separate account right now unless it is absolutely necessary. He would pay her for the extra box and any extras occurring on the account due to adding his new box until he can get out of college and working full time somewhere other than a local car wash on weekends and when he's home from college.

Again, sorry for the original sketchy info. I will have better quality information this weekend for you experts to chew on. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

100' should be fine, I would recommend burying a direct burial rated RG-6 coax between the barn and the house before the tech gets there, leaving a bit of slack on each end. 50' of cable burial is part of the free install, more than that and expect to pay for it.

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

Even though this is one address, Dish may consider the 2 buildings account stacking. IMO, putting all this on one account risks an audit and loss of service and equipment. I personally would not take the risk.

#7 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Weekend investigation revealed;

One 722 in dual mode and two 211s, all supplying four in-house TVs. A DPP44 mounted outside with one open slot. We can run a cable and add another box to the account.

She has talked with DISH and they say she can add another box in the barn and all is good. Don't see any reason for audit team to have a problem. Dish tech said as long as it is the same address (and it is) it should not be an issue.

Thanks
David

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

I don't see the audit being an issue. As long as the service is not being viewed from 2 different physical address at the same time, it can remain as one account(unless some special clause or state law contradicts that).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...