Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why TiVo?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I've still got the old DirecTV TiVos, SD only, but with larger hard drives installed. I'm looking into the HR-34 and HR-24 to upgrade my system.

From what I've been able to tell talking with people on the 34 and the 24, these DVRs do not have two of the features I use most on my old (and I mean OLD) TiVos--Season Passes and Wish Lists. Season passes allow you to record all shows of a certain name on a specific channel, and allow you to specify if you want first run only, or reruns too, etc, and how many total shows to keep at most. Then if the show changes times, or they broadcast an extra show on a different day, the TiVo still records it. You control priority if there are conflicts through the Season Pass Manager.

Wish Lists allow you to search on Actor, Director, Category, Keyword or Title. It will search across ALL channels. You can have it auto-record these, or use it to find specific shows to watch. For instance, if you follow Boston College hockey, you could put in a wish list with a key word of Boston College and category of hockey, and it would show you all the upcoming shows (and again, you could have it auto record these). These searches are saved once you build them.

So those are 2 things I like a lot about TiVo. I always have plenty of shows to choose from, without doing any sorting through schedules manually to find what I want to record. From what I've been able to tell, these features are not available on standard DVRs (or at least the DirecTV units). I think it has to do with the patents TiVo has, and that have been upheld in court.

I HOPE I'm wrong about this, especially the season pass part, because I really would like to get one of the DirecTV HR-34s. I'd love the 5 tuners and HD capability, but would not like to have to manually look through the guide to find what I want to record.

DIRECTV's DVRs have had series (season passes) since day one. They also have the ability to use boolean searches to do the same thing that a wishlist can do, it does take more effort, and they have had that for years as well. So I'm not sure what or where you're reading your information but it appears to be incorrect.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   F1Turbo

F1Turbo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

DIRECTV's DVRs have had series (season passes) since day one. They also have the ability to use boolean searches to do the same thing that a wishlist can do, it does take more effort, and they have had that for years as well. So I'm not sure what or where you're reading your information but it appears to be incorrect.

That's good to hear that. I talked to a guy at Costco today (their salesman for DirecTV) who called his DirecTV rep, who said that their DVRs do NOT have any season pass or wish list capability. My father also has one, and said that the DVR used to give him a chance when recording a show to add it as a season pass, but no longer does this. I'm going to a friends house tonight, and he has a DirecTV DVR, so I'll get to check it out first hand.

Are you using an HR-24 or HR-34 now, and if so, can you do "season passes"?

Thanks for your help!

#23 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

That's good to hear that. I talked to a guy at Costco today (their salesman for DirecTV) who called his DirecTV rep, who said that their DVRs do NOT have any season pass or wish list capability. My father also has one, and said that the DVR used to give him a chance when recording a show to add it as a season pass, but no longer does this. I'm going to a friends house tonight, and he has a DirecTV DVR, so I'll get to check it out first hand.

Are you using an HR-24 or HR-34 now, and if so, can you do "season passes"?

Thanks for your help!

They're getting hung up on specific terminology and not the functions of the receiver. Having to setup manual timers for every show now days would be insane.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   F1Turbo

F1Turbo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

They're getting hung up on specific terminology and not the functions of the receiver. Having to setup manual timers for every show now days would be insane.

Thanks!! That's exactly what I thought too (having to manually set timers).

#25 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I will agree, though, that the DirecTV version of wishlists, while more powerful, is a bit of a pain to use - especially when it comes to reviewing previously entered searches. Nevertheless, they can do most everything TiVo wishlists can do, and more.

Steve

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   htroberts

htroberts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Basically its like Ford vs Chevy. They both get you where you are going, some just prefer one or the other for various reasons.

I'd say it's more Windows versus Mac... :)

#27 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

And TiVo is like a Mac!

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

And TiVo is like a Mac!

Maybe an OS 9 Mac.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#29 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

True! I'm still holding out for a newer TiVo OS before I replace all 3 of my Directv DVRs. Still holding out some hope.

#30 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

I don't hold out hope for a new tivo os I have 2 directv dvrs and one thr22. If the tivo did whole home I would have 3 tivos they are way more responsive than the directv dvr and I think this is the reason tivos don't do whole home. I know some on this forum do not believe directv is holding the tivos back but I think if they didn't their dvr would become a thing of the past.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#31 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

I have one more thing to add if the had the same software as the tivo premiere minus things like netflix which directv would never allow. The tivos would outsell the directv dvr by a large margin.
Mike

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

I have one more thing to add if the had the same software as the tivo premiere minus things like netflix which directv would never allow. The tivos would outsell the directv dvr by a large margin.

No they wouldn't. Look at cable...Tivo doesn't replace even close to 50% of cable DVRs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

No they wouldn't. Look at cable...Tivo doesn't replace even close to 50% of cable DVRs.

But this is due to cable companies strapping TiVo with cablecard technology which doesn't work. I was one of the unfortunate buyers of that fiasco.

#34 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Drumdude pretty much summed it up cable companies stick tivo with cable cards if they did not things would be different.
Mike

#35 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

cablecards work fine on verizon fios except no indemand,although comcast has added in demand to tivos in boston and the san francisco bay area.

#36 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I will agree, though, that the DirecTV version of wishlists, while more powerful, is a bit of a pain to use - especially when it comes to reviewing previously entered searches. Nevertheless, they can do most everything TiVo wishlists can do, and more.

What I still miss from Tivo is the ability to run all wishlists at once; with the HRs, you need to run each saved search one at a time.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#37 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

But this is due to cable companies strapping TiVo with cablecard technology which doesn't work. I was one of the unfortunate buyers of that fiasco.

It worked for me with Charter. The only difference between what my TiVo couldnt do that theirs could was on demand and I honestly didn't miss that for the past 4 years.

#38 OFFLINE   cyborlink

cyborlink

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have a Tivo HD with Lifetime Service that I used on Fios and then Cox. A year ago I went with DirecTV and their HR-24. In February, I added the THR-22 Tivo, and way back, I had a DirecTV Tivo Series II.

DirecTV Tivo (THR-22) Advantages:

#1 - Smooth playback in Fast Forward. This is very important if you want to move through a sporting event more quickly, but still see all the detail as with auto sports or football.

#2 - Immediate Slow Motion. Yes, the HR-24 can do slow motion by holding down a few seconds, but Tivo gives instant slow motion, step-by-step, and return to regular speed immediately.

#3 - Two constant ON 30 minute buffers. Yes HR-24 allows the manual start of a second buffer, but it goes OFF after 90 minutes of inactivity.

#4 - Unlimited Season Passes. The HR-24 limits to 50 and the HR-34 to 100. While 50 sounds like a lot, it really isn't.

#5 - Faster response to operator inputs. The Tivo typically responds within a second or two. This delay is due to DirecTV SWM rather than the 'box'. (on cable Tivos, all responses are virtually instantaneous) However, the HR-24 can hang-up on a channel change or play a recording for 5-10 seconds.

DirecTV Tivo Disadvantages:

#1 - Because the Tivo Peanut remote has buttons and features not supported with the DirecTV remote, the Tivo remote is required (unless you program a remote such as the Harmony). Unfortunately the DirecTV Peanut Tivo does NOT have full code sets programmed into it, especially newer products such as Sound Bars. Therefore, you can't use the Tivo remote to control the sound or mute on some newer A/V equipment.

#2 - Not compatible with any whole house system.

#3 - Does not allow access to outside programming such as Netflix and other sources that the previous Tivo HD cable units did support.

#4 - HDD problems. In 7 months I've gone through two THR-22 units and now on my third. The bad units start recording then pause in the middle of the recording for 20 to 90 seconds, then continue recording. What you see during playback are these 20 to 90 second 'jumps' and the recording is, for example, only 22 minutes long, not 30 minutes. The green bar at the bottom shows only the 22 minutes. When this starts happening, it gets worse very quickly.

The way I 'prove' this happens to the service tech is that I have an HR-24 sitting right beside the THR-22 in my home theater. So I record the same program on both units simultaneously from the same feed line. The HR-24 program looks perfect and the THR-22 stops and starts, along with other strange artifacts.

I know there are a lot advantages and disadvantage, but the ones above are based on my years of experience using various Tivos and DirecTVs and they are the ones that have made a difference for me personally, based on what I watch and features I like.

spam firewall