Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like n3D is going to special event programming only

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've checked out the 3DTV displays at places like Best Buy and although it is a very cool technology, I cannot picture myself wanting to view anything more than a movie every now and then in 3D.

I personally feel it's better suited for a home theater type environment and not everyday viewing, at least at this time.

My HDTV is 1080p... yet most of the programming I watch on it is 720p/1080i. It's capable of watching Blu-ray at 24fps, but I watch more DirecTV than Blu-ray.

Any body who expected that we'd all be watching 24/7 3D programming with glasses is living in a fantasy world. I'm personally very jealous of those who have the ability to watch the occasional programming though... :)

I expect 3d to be a standard feature in time.

Ditto! :)

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

My HDTV is 1080p... yet most of the programming I watch on it is 720p/1080i. It's capable of watching Blu-ray at 24fps, but I watch more DirecTV than Blu-ray.

Any body who expected that we'd all be watching 24/7 3D programming with glasses is living in a fantasy world. I'm personally very jealous of those who have the ability to watch the occasional programming though... :)
~Alan

I'm not exactly jealous, but I wouldn't mind it now and then for some very special programming. But until they come out with passive (no flicker) glasses or do away with them altogether, on plasma, I'll sit out 3D!

Note that I said 'on plasma' - not at all interested in LCD or LED.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm not exactly jealous, but I wouldn't mind it now and then for some very special programming. But until they come out with passive (no flicker) glasses or do away with them altogether, on plasma, I'll sit out 3D!

Note that I said 'on plasma' - not at all interested in LCD or LED.

I have a handful of 3D titles on Blu-ray... occasionally there's something on the 3D channels that interest me (I keep them in the guide... torture is good for you!).

Jealous... envious... I'm good with both words, but in the scheme of things, I can't say it's actively bothering me...

I'm also envious of those with LEDs... even though I'm VERY happy with my LCD!

~Alan

#24 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Till the tech is glassless I feel 3D will never truly take off for the home market.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#25 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I predict that 3D will go the way of Color TV using a spinning color wheel (as seen on CBS a long time ago).

#26 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

My Vizio came with 3D, not the primary reason I bought it but I have to say I was impressed with the 3D picture quality. Watching NFL in 3D is going to be pretty amazing.

Do they have any plans for that ? There wasn't any last year. I like watching 3D once in a while but there isn't enough content on Directv to justify buying a 3D TV. BlueRay 3D movies are great though and make the purchase of the TV worthwhile.

#27 OFFLINE   todd.scallions

todd.scallions

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Why so many 3D haters? I bought a 42" 3D Panasonic Plasma to replace the old 22" LCD we had in the master bedroom and WOW! The 2D & the 3D are simply amazing on this set. In fact I am liking the 3D so much that I plan to replace my four year old 52" Sony LCD in the living room with a 65" 3D Panasonic Plasma. I'm not even a sports fan but I will sit and watch football and basketball in 3D. It looks like I can reach into the TV and pick up the players and move them around.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

I don't have as much of a problem with 3D in the home, though I am not interested. What I really hate is post-production 3D in the theaters. But generally, I just don't see a point. I'd take resolution any day.

#29 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Why so many 3D haters? I bought a 42" 3D Panasonic Plasma to replace the old 22" LCD we had in the master bedroom and WOW! The 2D & the 3D are simply amazing on this set. In fact I am liking the 3D so much that I plan to replace my four year old 52" Sony LCD in the living room with a 65" 3D Panasonic Plasma. I'm not even a sports fan but I will sit and watch football and basketball in 3D. It looks like I can reach into the TV and pick up the players and move them around.

I have the 42" Panasonic and a 55" Panasonic. I bought them because they had the best picture for the price for fast moving things like basketball. The fact that they also had 3D did not really influence me to buy them, but I must admit that I enjoy 3D movies on the bluray and have watched some NCAA football and basketball games.

I like basketball in 3D when the game is in an arena that was built to televise games, but it can be anoying when the games are in old, small gyms. Games from Rupp Arena, Thompson Bowling Arena, and the Dean Smith Center look great. Games from Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium are difficult to watch. The picture is dark and someone's head or pom pom is constantly in the foreground. While that is distracting in 2D, it makes 3D unwatchable for me.

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

3D Gimmick Since 1920

Exactly!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I've checked out the 3DTV displays at places like Best Buy and although it is a very cool technology, I cannot picture myself wanting to view anything more than a movie every now and then in 3D.

I personally feel it's better suited for a home theater type environment and not everyday viewing, at least at this time.

I bought a 3D TV a few months ago. The reason why is our HD was giving out and were going to buy a TV anyway. I had a budget, did some looking around and the Samsung however big this one is I got 3D TV was well within our budget. I decided may as well finally be on the early side of new technology which will only become more available (it can't really be less) and be there as it improves rather than years after the fact like I was with HD. But had the TV been $1000 or $1500 I'd still have an HD. As far as movies, it's good. I watched the Big East Tourney on ESPN 3D live this year and while nice, it was kind of like once you've seen it you've seen it. It's not so grand I feel like "I HAVE to watch EVERY SINGLE GAME in 3D now!!!"

#32 OFFLINE   HDYankee

HDYankee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

I am not happy that n3D went partime. Many who flame 3D have not seen the new movies and TV shows.

Most of the new movies do not have 3D just to have someting pop out at you. They really add sometime to the viewing. Movies like Hugo were fantastic in 3D and watching just the regular Blu-Ray was OK but nothing compared to the 3D.

So don't knock it if you haven't seen it. The glasses are comfortable and fit easly over my glasses. Sports in 3D also puts you right there if the director is good.

I had one from Samsung and then bought another. My Samsung DLP is ready for replacement and I can't wait to get the new Samsung 65" LED with 3D.

#33 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Aside from Hugo and Avatar I haven't seen a movie that has made use of 3D to justify it. It's mostly an afterthought and a ploy to get more money out of people at the theater.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

I'd add Tron to the list.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I am not happy that n3D went partime. Many who flame 3D have not seen the new movies and TV shows.

Does n3D carry movies or TV shows? I'm not sure I understand what one has to do with the other.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

So whats the word?

Offline for good, or just stuff like the Olympics?
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#37 OFFLINE   HDYankee

HDYankee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Does n3D carry movies or TV shows? I'm not sure I understand what one has to do with the other.

n3D shows mainly TV shows............I made two points most of those that say the 3D TV's are a waste do not have one. They may go to the regular 3D movies but do not own a set. The other point is I am not happy about n3D goining part time.

Personally I like the home 3D better than going to a theater. So, this is just my opinion and nothing more. I also buy the 3D version of the Blu Ray disks and most of the movies are great. So bad 3D movies now are the exception and not the rule in my view.

#38 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

I agree. I own an LG 65LM6200 and am blown away by the 2d and 3d PQ. The 3d experience is amazing and the glasses are the same as the movie theater. Watching NBA playoffs in 3d has been AWESOME! Since the set has 2d to 3d, it doesn't even have to be on in native 3d for it to be a great experience. I can't wait for football in 3d! If you're in the market for a new TV, go to Best Buy, HH Gregg or whatever local retailer and try it out before you dismiss it. I think you'll be surprised. The technology finally caught up to my expectations and I needed a new TV so that's why I pulled the trigger on it.

#39 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Aside from Hugo and Avatar I haven't seen a movie that has made use of 3D to justify it. It's mostly an afterthought and a ploy to get more money out of people at the theater.

Try watching any number of IMAX specials on 3Net. IMAX specials are amazing 3d presentations for the home. Alice In Wonderland on 3d Blu-ray is excellent, the Adventures of Tin Tin is awesome as well. Disney's Christmas Carol is phenomenal and Born To Be Wild on Bluray 3d is spectacular.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...