Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTv ripping off children or customers?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

This years Auto Racing PPV Prelude to the Dream benefiting kids hunger. From the NASCAR website at http://www.nascar.co...dren/index.html :

The commercial-free, high-definition broadcast will begin at 8 p.m. ET with an immediate replay. The Prelude to the Dream has a suggested retail price of $24.95 and is available to more than 92 million pay-per-view homes.

Just went to order and DirecTv is asking $34.95. Who is pocketing the extra $10? Ill just order it on my Tivo through Comcast. I think its pathetic they try to screw customers like this.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   onebadmofo

onebadmofo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Your first problem is paying anything for NASCAR! Just kidding...not a fan but it's the same thing for UFC FIGHTS. I quit ordering I refuse to pay 10 bucks for the HD feed.

This isn't 2003 there's no reason to charge extra for HD....

Of course in this case, that extra 10 bucks is going into dtvs pockets I'm guessing...
55 inch Samsung 9000 240 Hz 3D LED-HR34 (Klipsch surround sound, 12 inch sub)
55 inch Samsung LCD 1080P 120 Hz-HR24
47 inch Phillips LCD 1080 120 Hz-HR23
42 inch Phillips LCD 1080 120 Hz-HR24(out on patio, outdoor Klipsch surround sound in patio, around pool)
40 inch Sony LCD 1080 120 Hz-HR24

2 PS3's, Xbox360 GoW Limited Edition, Wii, PSP-2000,
PS Vita, DS...yep, we game here!:)

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Its HD only, or so they said on the HBO site. So you are thinking DirecTv is downrezzing the feed to SD for the $24.95, then charging us $10 more for the orginal? Still scummy. Im gonna check and see how much it is on Comcast and Dish, just to compare. I love the way these providers (excluding Comcast) want to charge extra for HD, then charges extra for the HD pack, and extra for the HD events. Should be covered by the monthly HD charge.

Dish wont show me prices, since Im not a customer. Any customers want to check at http://www.dish.com/...er-view/#events and see what the charge is there for the HD feed?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Keyword - suggested retail price
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

At http://www.preludeto...g/how-to-order/ it says "The suggested retail price is $24.95 (for SD)."
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

OK, thanks. Then they ARE double charging for HD. Guess Ill be watching this one on Comcast, unless they try the same crap...which means I wont be watching it at all.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

OK, thanks. Then they ARE double charging for HD. Guess Ill be watching this one on Comcast, unless they try the same crap...which means I wont be watching it at all.

24.95*2 = 49.90

HD is about 29% and you're assuming that the content provider doesn't charge more of a premium for the HD version as well.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

24.95*2 = 49.90

HD is about 29% and you're assuming that the content provider doesn't charge more of a premium for the HD version as well.

Im assuming that since HBO claims the feed is in HD on their site. As far as charging double, I was referring to the $10 monthly HD charge, and then charging another $10 to see this in HD. That is fine, they can charge what they want. I was online to order the event in advance. Now I wont be ordering it at all. We both lose.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

What do you mean double charging? Last I checked, all PPV events cost $10 more. NASCAR is saying charge $25 for SD, MSPs are adding the $10 for HD.

Just checked and UVerse is the same.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

What do you mean double charging? Last I checked, all PPV events cost $10 more. NASCAR is saying charge $25 for SD, MSPs are adding the $10 for HD.

Just checked and UVerse is the same.

Cool, then like the first respondent commented, when they enter the 21st century and quit charging extra for HD, I'll start ordering. This event will be filed under the "maybe next year" category.

BTW, for comparison, I just spent 3 days, watched 6 live concerts (Staind, Third Eye Blind, Lynerd Skynrd, and three others) as well as a 45 minute live fireworks show, for $20. And stereo was included free ;)

#11 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Cool, then like the first respondent commented, when they enter the 21st century and quit charging extra for HD, I'll start ordering. This event will be filed under the "maybe next year" category.

BTW, for comparison, I just spent 3 days, watched 6 live concerts (Staind, Third Eye Blind, Lynerd Skynrd, and three others) as well as a 45 minute live fireworks show, for $20. And stereo was included free ;)

The infrastructure needed to deliver HD isn't free.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

The infrastructure needed to deliver HD isn't free.

I paid for its development for years when they were charging $10 for 7 channels. Thanks, but weak.

#13 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

Just order the SD feed for $24.95 on ch. 124

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

It's NOT DirecTV charging the extra $10. Per http://www.preludeto...g/how-to-order/ it's "$24.95 (for SD)".

I wish people would stop immediately blaming DirecTV for everything...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

It's NOT DirecTV charging the extra $10. Per http://www.preludeto...g/how-to-order/ it's "$24.95 (for SD)".

I wish people would stop immediately blaming DirecTV for everything...

Why do you wish this? Nothing more practical to wish for? When people write negative things about Direct TV does it somehow hurt your person? But, you really don't care so why am I even posting this. :grin:

#16 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have nothing to add to the reasons why, but I do have to find it kind of funny that someone who is paying money to two different providers for TV service is going to complain about $10. Cancel your Comcast and you'd come out ahead, even paying $10 more for an "HD" broadcast.

For the record, DirecTV isn't the only provider charging "extra" for HD. My local cable company will feed the locals in HD, but if you want any of the other "extended cable" channels, you need to subscribe to their Digital Cable service for an additional $40/mo + $8/mo receiver lease ($16/mo for a DVR). It may not be a dedicated HD fee line item on your bill, but you're paying for it somewhere.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have nothing to add to the reasons why, but I do have to find it kind of funny that someone who is paying money to two different providers for TV service is going to complain about $10. Cancel your Comcast and you'd come out ahead, even paying $10 more for an "HD" broadcast.

Actually not true. If you add in the internet savings, the savings from not having to pay DirecTv for the HD Extra Pak, and Sports pak channels (FSMW, FSS, FSSW,CSS) included in my Comcast package, and the fact I am on a 1 year introductory price, it would actually cost me MORE to drop Comcast.

To be fair, I am probably going to drop DirecTv next year, since Comcast here has many more HD channels I watch, and I doubt DirecTv will add them, and they are no longer offering the Free HD at DirecTv. Not in any hurry tho, have until January 2013.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

It's just greedy practice to milk money from a customers multiple ways, hidden or open.
And sometimes just plain cheating innocent technically unaware ppl who don't know about SD and HD feeds, etc.

Tell me what is procure the additional $10 for HD vs SD when you using same feed, same equipment, same delivery infrastructure starting from field cameras and ending your STB while original feed is in HD ?

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

It's just greedy practice to milk money from a customers multiple ways, hidden or open.
And sometimes just plain cheating innocent technically unaware ppl who don't know about SD and HD feeds, etc.

Tell me what is procure the additional $10 for HD vs SD when you using same feed, same equipment, same delivery infrastructure starting from field cameras and ending your STB while original feed is in HD ?

Companies are going to charge more for HD for awhile due to the costs associated with the infrastructure. In order to stay relevant people demand more HD content, especially in sports, which requires all of the companies to spend more money to get this setup.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205621 We're already talking about upgrade costs here just for encoders and the more profitable a service is the more it is invested in.

Some day in a few years we may start to see pricing with built in HD charges but I wouldn't expect bills to go down people just won't see a separate charge.

To your point though I'm still surprised they offer SD and HD ordering options. I guess the people with SD though should be happy because if they ever chose to just make one version you can bet that it won't be the SD price.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Companies are going to charge more for HD for awhile due to the costs associated with the infrastructure. In order to stay relevant people demand more HD content, especially in sports, which requires all of the companies to spend more money to get this setup.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205621 We're already talking about upgrade costs here just for encoders and the more profitable a service is the more it is invested in.

Some day in a few years we may start to see pricing with built in HD charges but I wouldn't expect bills to go down people just won't see a separate charge.

To your point though I'm still surprised they offer SD and HD ordering options. I guess the people with SD though should be happy because if they ever chose to just make one version you can bet that it won't be the SD price.

some cable systems with HD channels still don't have the PPV HD channel.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...