Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTv ripping off children or customers?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I guess the satellites that carry HD programming for DirecTV just magically appeared, or the money the OP spent on HD Access over the course of a few years covered it all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

some cable systems with HD channels still don't have the PPV HD channel.

They would if SD versions started to disappear.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I guess the satellites that carry HD programming for DirecTV just magically appeared, or the money the OP spent on HD Access over the course of a few years covered it all.

I would be willing to bet that you have as much insight into the additional cost of showing this broadcast in HD as I do. While your sarcasm is noted, it is a totally invalid response.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I would be willing to bet that you have as much insight into the additional cost of showing this broadcast in HD as I do. While your sarcasm is noted, it is a totally invalid response.

There are some ballparks out there but to break it down there are specific satellites at the 93 and 103 locations that are dedicated to HD and the support equipment in the broadcast centers. Then you have the costs of adding the fiber lines from the uplinks. The costs are substantial and even though he used sarcasm it doesn't negate the fact that it was, and continues, to be a very large investment.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

There are some ballparks out there but to break it down there are specific satellites at the 93 and 103 locations that are dedicated to HD and the support equipment in the broadcast centers. Then you have the costs of adding the fiber lines from the uplinks. The costs are substantial and even though he used sarcasm it doesn't negate the fact that it was, and continues, to be a very large investment.

Well I did support the Feed the Children campaign and ordered the PPV anyway. I did not participate in donating to DTV's HD system though. So you still had the fixed cost but I just ordered the SD version and it looked pretty good.

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Well I did support the Feed the Children campaign and ordered the PPV anyway. I did not participate in donating to DTV's HD system though. So you still had the fixed cost but I just ordered the SD version and it looked pretty good.

The extra $10 for the HD version wasn't for DirecTV, all providers were charging it. All providers had the same prices and all providers got the same percentage of that same price. DirecTV wasn't charging more or ripping anyone off.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

The extra $10 for the HD version wasn't for DirecTV, all providers were charging it. All providers had the same prices and all providers got the same percentage of that same price. DirecTV wasn't charging more or ripping anyone off.

IF that is correct, the HBO/PTDream PR could have mentioned it in their press release and eliminated some mixed thoughts on the subject. I'm pleased with DTV, just wanted to make sure I was being charged fairly.

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

IF that is correct, the HBO/PTDream PR could have mentioned it in their press release and eliminated some mixed thoughts on the subject. I'm pleased with DTV, just wanted to make sure I was being charged fairly.

As I pointed out previously in this thread it was posted on their website.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

As I pointed out previously in this thread it was posted on their website.

Well here is what is also posted on their website. And this was the basis for my statement.

• All that is necessary to order the event is a digital cable box or satellite service. You do not need HBO to order.
• The suggested retail price is $24.95. Ordering information and up-to-the minute racing information is available at either www.PreludeToTheDream.org or www.HBO.com.

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Well here is what is also posted on their website. And this was the basis for my statement.

• All that is necessary to order the event is a digital cable box or satellite service. You do not need HBO to order.
• The suggested retail price is $24.95. Ordering information and up-to-the minute racing information is available at either www.PreludeToTheDream.org or www.HBO.com.

And what does it say at the website??? I'll help, again.

At http://www.preludeto...g/how-to-order/ it says "The suggested retail price is $24.95 (for SD)."

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

And what does it say at the website??? I'll help, again.

I did not spend all day checking all over the various websites to verify the 34.95 verses 24.95. The first one says nothing of a difference. I ordered the 24.95 anyway and you probably are just arguing for the fun of it. I submit I am also correct. As I also have written proof. Go back to their main page and you will see it.
My post is just as valid as yours.

#32 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Why not just send a contribution directly to Feed The Children and cut out the middleman?
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#33 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

You left off the part where they say "$24.95 (for SD)" on their website as I quoted previously.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Why not just send a contribution directly to Feed The Children and cut out the middleman?

You don't get to watch a really cool race that way. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

You left off the part where they say "$24.95 (for SD)" on their website as I quoted previously.

I am gonna tell you this one more time Runner and I am going to include the press release! Here it is:

TAKING ORDERS FOR EIGHTH ANNUAL PRELUDE TO THE DREAM
« Back to Press Releases

Fans Can Order All-Star Event on Pay-Per-View Beginning Today!
ROSSBURG, Ohio (June 1, 2012) – If you can’t make the drive to Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio, on Wednesday, June 6 to see the eighth annual Prelude To The Dream in person, don’t worry. Beginning today, race fans across the nation will have their first opportunity to order the charity all-star race on pay-per-view.

The event will feature stars from the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, the IZOD IndyCar Series, the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series and the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series. All will join two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart in piloting 2,300-pound dirt Late Model stock cars capable of putting out more than 800 horsepower around Eldora’s half-mile oval.

HBO Pay-Per-View® will present the event LIVE in high-definition to the entire nation. Net proceeds from the telecast will support Feed The Children, a U.S.-based charity that domestically has helped more than 365,000 families since 2009 through its Americans Feeding Americans Caravan.

The 2012 edition of the Prelude To The Dream includes hot laps, qualifying, heat races and a 40-lap feature with double-file “shootout style” restarts. It is One Perfect Night.

Tony Kanaan of the IZOD IndyCar Series will again compete against Danica Patrick, who in 2012 has made the full transition from IndyCar to NASCAR. They’ll rub fenders with straight-liners Ron Capps and Cruz Pedregon of the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. Dirt regulars Steve Kinser and Donny Schatz, who have collectively won 24 World of Outlaws championships, will race for the first time in dirt Late Models. All will join NASCAR stars such as Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, Bobby Labonte, Aric Almirola and many others, including a band of brothers: the Busch brothers – Kurt and Kyle – and the Dillon brothers – Austin and Ty.

For the top-10 finishers in the Prelude To The Dream, Feed The Children will send a food truck to each driver’s hometown or city of their choice.

HOW TO ORDER:

• The live, commercial-free broadcast will begin at 8 p.m. EDT (5 p.m. PDT) with an immediate replay following.

"BULLET"• The suggested retail price is $24.95. Ordering information and up-to-the minute racing information is available at either www.PreludeToTheDream.org or www.HBO.com.

• Updates can also be found on Twitter at @PreludetoDream and follow the hashtag #OnePerfectNight, or become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PreludetoDream.

• If you have Cable, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-verse, DIRECTV or DISH, fans can order the Prelude To The Dream beginning today.

• The following are step-by-step instructions to help place an order for the Prelude To The Dream on Pay-Per-View:

? Cable, AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS Customers: All that is necessary to order the event is a digital cable box on your TV. If you are not sure about the kind of box you have, contact your cable company and ask if you have a digital cable box that gets Pay-Per-View (PPV). Once you know you have a digital cable box, scroll through the Pay-Per-View channels on your electronic program guide for Wednesday, June 6 at 8 p.m. ET, and look for “Auto Racing: Prelude to the Dream.” Once you see the entry, click it and follow the on-screen instructions to order. If your cable system does not accept orders from your remote control, contact a customer service representative either the day before or the day of the race. Make sure you tell the representative that you are looking to order “Auto Racing: Prelude to the Dream.” Some cable systems have a short window available to order Pay-Per-View events. The more specific you are with the customer service representative, the easier it will be to place your order.

? DIRECTV Customers: All DIRECTV customers can order now. You can find the event on Channel 123 HD or Channel 124. Go to the programming guide for those channels for Wednesday, June 6 at 8 p.m. ET, and look for “Prelude to the Dream.” Once you see the entry, click the event and follow the on-screen instructions to order. Or you can order online at directv.com/events or text EVENT to 223322. Standard data and messaging rates may apply in accordance with your wireless carrier.

? DISH Network Customers: All DISH Network customers can order the event now by going to Channel 473 or Channel 474 HD. Follow the on-screen instructions to order. On Wednesday, June 6, the event will be shown on Channel 455 or Channel 468 HD.

• If any problems are encountered during ordering, contact a customer service representative anytime on Wednesday, June 6 to make sure the order is processed and the race can be viewed. Once it is ordered, sit back and enjoy the ride.

-TSC-
Who We AreFind Out How To Order TicketsGet Tickets!

Home | About | How To Order | Charitable Mission | Eldora Speedway | Partners | Media Center | Contact Us | FAQs | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions

© 2012 All Rights Reserved
Designed and Developed by E-dreamz

PS: Nothing was edited out - check it out for yourself. If your gonna call me a liar make sure you know what you are talking about!! Because You might just be the liar in this conversation!

#36 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

The press release also doesn't say in HD for that price. It tells you the MSRP and refers you to the websites to order. If you go to the websites to order you can get it for the MSRP listed, but not in HD.

So no one is calling you a liar what we're saying is that you're deciding to read the MSRP listed as a price for HD and it's not. To get the HD price you had to go to the website to order which would give you that price.

#37 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

The press release also doesn't say in HD for that price. It tells you the MSRP and refers you to the websites to order. If you go to the websites to order you can get it for the MSRP listed, but not in HD.

So no one is calling you a liar what we're saying is that you're deciding to read the MSRP listed as a price for HD and it's not. To get the HD price you had to go to the website to order which would give you that price.

Xfinity apparently sold the show in HD for $24.95. SO I watched it, paid $24.95, I will never order another show regardless, and I am now going to cancel the premiums except HBO!! My wife would be pizzed if I cancelled that.

#38 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

While it is too late to make a difference here, and it doesn't really matter I too think it is a bit of a ripoff for DirecTV to be charging so much more for the HD version of events. PPV boxing and MMA fights are the same way.

We already pay a $10 HD Access fee that is supposed to be paying for the equipment/upkeep for the additional costs associated with HD broadcasts instead of SD. Charging another $10 for HD access to certain events seems a bit excessive. Especially when most likely the HD version is the only version DirecTV is receiving and they are downscaling it to provide the SD version. So if they didn't have the HD equipment already working they probably wouldn't have access to the program at all.

I mean they only charge like $1 extra for HD PPV movies compared to the same movie in SD. Why not $1 or $2 for events instead of $10.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#39 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

While it is too late to make a difference here, and it doesn't really matter I too think it is a bit of a ripoff for DirecTV to be charging so much more for the HD version of events. PPV boxing and MMA fights are the same way.

We already pay a $10 HD Access fee that is supposed to be paying for the equipment/upkeep for the additional costs associated with HD broadcasts instead of SD. Charging another $10 for HD access to certain events seems a bit excessive. Especially when most likely the HD version is the only version DirecTV is receiving and they are downscaling it to provide the SD version. So if they didn't have the HD equipment already working they probably wouldn't have access to the program at all.

I mean they only charge like $1 extra for HD PPV movies compared to the same movie in SD. Why not $1 or $2 for events instead of $10.

Well No Beerstalker its not too late: I just got off the phone with Xfinity and yes it was $24.95 for HD last night for the PPV. In fact they are rebroadcasting it today at 5PM Eastern for the same amount, sorta like the WWE and MMA does. I appreciate you standing up for your position cause that is the only way you accomplish anything regardless of the size of the company or the naysayers that eventually crumble.

Edited by HDSC, 07 June 2012 - 05:17 PM.
sp

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I did point out some obvious moment in post#18 ... but these shareholders can't allow to have any doubts in such greedy requests.
I don't believe in altruism of proponents of the HD overcharging. They typing argument after argument like if someone pay them for each letter in their pro-posts.

Edited by P Smith, 07 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...