Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV National HD Listing/Maps Discussion Thread (Technical - Not Anticipation)

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

I would anticipate 12 PPV placeholders.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

I would anticipate 12 PPV placeholders.

that should cover the pac 12 channels and all the upcoming / missing RSN's
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

that should cover the pac 12 channels and all the upcoming / missing RSN's

Wouldn't be testing before a deal is reached.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Wouldn't be testing before a deal is reached.

False. They can test feeds not under contract. They cannot retransmit them.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

There's plenty of other transponders with 5 HD on them. They can now encode 6 HD per tp, especially if it's a 720p feed as the 6th video stream as many sports rsn's are.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, but since these stations aren't even on the air yet and have yet to broadcast a thing, it'd be awfully hard to even test their signals yet. It's way to early for those channels.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

They can but why would they. Especially as they don't exist. And are months away. I never said they couldn't. Said it made no sense.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

Actually, there is some sense in technical stand point: to test/check whole path from a point of receiving source signal to earth stations (our DVR/receivers). Just use duplicated channels from same station/provider and you will have pretty good test case.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

What channels are we waiting for?

Has Directv even announced anything?

Just wondering why so many are sitting here waiting.
Directv Launched 170 channels and you guys are still here waiting with a doggie bag.:lol:

When do you watch the channels we have now in HD?:lol:

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

All discussion in the other thread please.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

So was D12 tp 9 and 10 there for awhile but you figured out a new way to detect them... Or did they actually just recently show up?

It was thought that they carried nothing before right? That is unless whatever it carried was coded in a way your script did not detect.
Maybe they are using them to test different (and existing) channels in a 6:1 compressed multiplex with new encoders. Once they find the secret formula for what combination of content that works well together in 6:1, they migrate those live channels to that configuration.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

So was D12 tp 9 and 10 there for awhile but you figured out a new way to detect them... Or did they actually just recently show up?

It was thought that they carried nothing before right? That is unless whatever it carried was coded in a way your script did not detect.
Maybe they are using them to test different (and existing) channels in a 6:1 compressed multiplex with new encoders. Once they find the secret formula for what combination of content that works well together in 6:1, they migrate those live channels to that configuration.

Did you find nothing in gct's tables about the D12's tp 9 and 10 ?

#13 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Prior to this week, there was nothing in the normal guide data for D12 transponders 9 & 10.

Nothing in the gct spreadsheet and nothing that I could see.

It was possible that it was being used in some way, just not showing up in the guide data that we look at. That has now changed.

It may also be possible that while it's now more visible to us, it might not be planned for regular linear HD, it's unclear at this time. Typically the "DTV" channels have been internal non-public channels, but I have seen situations where "DTV" channels turn into real channels, that happened with the SD channels on D12 (earlier in this thread).

It's also possible that they could add a 6th HD channel to the existing transponders, as they've recently done when they added TruTV HD and E!, but that may need to be balanced with the significant expense required and quarterly budgets.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

PIt's also possible that they could add a 6th HD channel to the existing transponders, as they've recently done when they added TruTV HD and E!, but that may need to be balanced with the significant expense required and quarterly budgets.

What makes up this "significant expense required" that you speak of? Do the encoders really cost tens of thousands of dollars each to upgrade?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

What makes up this "significant expense required" that you speak of? Do the encoders really cost tens of thousands of dollars each to upgrade?

The general feeling within the industry is that the investment would be significant.

Edited by Sixto, 01 June 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps one digit more... The point is - how MANY of them need to be upgraded/replaced.

#17 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Because its such a specialized industry the suppliers who make the encoders and equipment milk multiple system operators for every last penny they can. They feel it's justified because they use this equipment to make money.

In any specialized industry who's bottom line is to make money, and have a core system or specialized application, you are at the mercy of the vendor. Basically if you make money with the software or hardware or it improves operational efficiencies that eventually improve your bottom line, these companies take advantage of it.

Sometimes the hardware itself costs a boat load of money but then they nickel and dime you in licensing fees for every single option or configuration. Add to it annual support contracts (premium or on site support) / service level agreements (hour or next day replacement) and it gets to be very costly.

And I didn't see anything in gct's tables either.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

There seems to be a lot of nebulous generalizations flying around in support of DIRECTV's slow advance into six HD channels/transponder. Does anyone have a dollar (or Euro) figure?

The other guys seem to have been multiplexing up to eight HD channels into 67% of the gross bandwidth for a while now so I'm sure the technology has been there for a while to multiplex 6 or more HD streams.

In response to the vertical market arguments, I don't think it is reasonable to assume that DIRECTV and DISH are the only organizations on the planet that are multiplexing HD satellite feeds.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

In response to the vertical market arguments, I don't think it is reasonable to assume that DIRECTV and DISH are the only organizations on the planet that are multiplexing HD satellite feeds.

Comcast (HITS) multiplexes their Distro feeds. http://www.comcastme...ts-quantum.html
They are only muxing 3 HD channels per transponder tho.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

The other guys seem to have been multiplexing up to eight HD channels into 67% of the gross bandwidth for a while now so I'm sure the technology has been there for a while to multiplex 6 or more HD streams.

The other guys were pushed into it a little faster by the lack of transponder space to stay at less channels per transponder. Regardless of the age of technology each encoder costs money ... and one can count on one hand the number of companies trying to multiplex multiple HD streams on dozens of transponders. At the level DBS providers are doing it, you could probably count it on two thumbs (think of all the HD local feeds - something that most companies don't have to deal with).

Most companies who would need a multiplexer at all would need one ... and one as a backup. Some would need a second or third multiplexer and perhaps a shared backup. DBS companies would be the largest market needing multiplexers for every transponder on every satellite (including spot beams). But even with the high demand of DBS providers we are only talking about a marketplace for a thousand HD encoders. Maybe a couple thousand, but certainly not a huge marketplace.

We are practically talking about individually built devices ... not cheap mass production runs of 10s of thousands or millions. And to get it right with industrial quality it is expensive. $100k each isn't out of the ballpark for such a complicated device.

Hopefully that answers your question about the scope and costs of the encoders ... and we can get back to watching the skies for any changes to DirecTV's HD transponders - the purpose of this thread.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...