Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV National HD Listing/Maps Discussion Thread (Technical - Not Anticipation)

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#526 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

There's some pretty interesting discussions being had over on the DIRECTV Domestic & LatinAm Transponder Maps: New Data 8/29/2012 thread.

Just sayin' for those who don't follow that thread (and they should be following that thread!).

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#527 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

There's some pretty interesting discussions being had over on the DIRECTV Domestic & LatinAm Transponder Maps: New Data 8/29/2012 thread.

Just sayin' for those who don't follow that thread (and they should be following that thread!).

~Alan

Thanks for the tip, but you could have been a bit more forthcoming as to why we'd care on this thread. :)

Presumably you're referring to the fact that thread thinks it has found 9 local HD channels on a single D10 or D12 spot transponder?

Anybody have any insight to shed on that, whether it is true, and whether it has any relevance to CONUS transponder capacity?

I can't say I've personally paid a lot of attention to the spots on a technical basis. Do they have the same bandwidth as the CONUS transponders? Is this "new encoders as applied to spots". . . evidence of D* watering down HD PQ on locals. . .or something else entirely?

Edited by georule, 01 September 2012 - 09:50 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#528 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the tip, but you could have been a bit more forthcoming as to why we'd care on this thread. :)

I go cross-eyed trying to understand half of it... but the implications are huge. Maybe not for the national channels, but certainly for the local channels. A good thing given the new carriage laws taking effect for all DMAs offered HD service next year.

Presumably you're referring to the fact that thread thinks it has found 9 local HD channels on a single D10 or D12 spot transponder?

Yes, that was what I was referring to...

~Alan

#529 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Okay, fair enough.

Since by far most D* customers get their broadcast network (read "highest rated") content from their locals, I'd be just this side of gobsmacked if D* were to pick *there* to start monkeying with where the noticeable limits on PQ vs bandwidth are. I could certainly imagine that the "new encoders" discussion upstream would just as easily apply to spot bandwidth optimization as CONUS.

Let's see what our eggheads have to say about it. . .
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#530 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Okay, fair enough.

Since by far most D* customers get their broadcast network (read "highest rated") content from their locals, I'd be just this side of gobsmacked if D* were to pick *there* to start monkeying with where the noticeable limits on PQ vs bandwidth are.

Unfortunately, the local channels are doing that all by themselves...

It's bad enough when it was just SD sub-channels, but now we have to worry about HD sub-channels. My neighboring market just stuffed two HD channels on a single frequency. My market will most likely be doing that next year, and the NBC affiliate in Tupelo, MS just added ABC in HD on their sub-channel.

On the plus side, one DirecTV subscriber in the Tupelo, MS market described ABC as looking MUCH better on DirecTV than it does OTA.

Getting back on topic, I don't know if this effects the NATIONAL channels at all, but I thought that those who are interested in the technical aspect of the industry that read this thread might be equally interested in the discussion over in the other thread... hence the link from here.

~Alan

#531 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

In my (top 20) market, I happen to know the NBC channel feeds Comcast and D* directly by fiber. . . and DISH takes OTA. I haven't asked about the intermediate switching tho. NBC started feeding mpeg4 to the affiliates sometime back, even tho mpeg2 is what has to go OTA.

That new encoder doc waaaaay upstream also talks about mpeg2 encoder advances, tho I didn't pay much attention to that section. I'd think that might have some applicability to the locals OTA bandwidth allocation, tho small market locals in particular are *notoriously* cheap about engineering budgets.

Edited by georule, 01 September 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#532 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Very interesting changes:

http://www.dbstalk.c...958#post3102958

D12 TP20 & D12 TP21 now being used for linear CONUS HD.

Good news (if it stays this way).

#533 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Very interesting changes:

http://www.dbstalk.c...958#post3102958

D12 TP20 & D12 TP21 now being used for linear CONUS HD.

Good news (if it stays this way).

That means they freed up some capacity for national HD channels?

How much would we have if this holds up?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#534 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

That means they freed up some capacity for national HD channels?

How much would we have if this holds up?

Those 10-12 slots were unused for national HD recently.

#535 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

This may seem silly and isn't intended to go off topic, but is there a chance for Pac12 Networks with this movement?

#536 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

And I see there are some *TEST channels that were removed from it.... perhaps they tested the transponders with a few internal channels to make sure they were all right, and launched them to be "in production" now?

That means we have a bit more HD bandwidth. Nice!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#537 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

This may seem silly and isn't intended to go off topic, but is there a chance for Pac12 Networks with this movement?

It doesn't mean that at all. PAC12 will be found on one of Dish's satellites this year. :lol:
They already HAD the bandwidth to add PAC12. I think this is just looking towards the future, they have a lot more fish to fry.

I am the Stig.

#538 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

And I see there are some *TEST channels that were removed from it.... perhaps they tested the transponders with a few internal channels to make sure they were all right, and launched them to be "in production" now?

That means we have a bit more HD bandwidth. Nice!

Those test channels have been there for over 2 years ... :)

We've always wondered if they'd ever use that transponder for linear HD ... :)

#539 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

So, they were just test and nothing else? Not push, not anything but test? Kind of odd, no?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#540 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

So, they were just test and nothing else? Not push, not anything but test? Kind of odd, no?

We always assumed push related ...

#541 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thanks.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#542 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,449 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Brain fart--what's linear HD? I forgot.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#543 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Brain fart--what's linear HD? I forgot.

Regular HD full-time CONUS channels ... no push or anything special ...

#544 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,449 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Gotcha. Thanks

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#545 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

I always thought it was used for insertion of local commercials on CONUS channels. They do push local commercials to my DVR, and use them on certain channels I believe.... is that done through channels/transponders you might not even be able to see? (Do they use Spotbeams for those pushes, would make sense too)

I am the Stig.

#546 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

They're starting to slip CINEHD into 1060 slots now? That's probably a positive, so far as getting further up the max curve on that theoretical 44 new HD slots.

#547 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Is cinehd 24fps? You should easily fit 6 per TP then. Show time and Starz have been multiplexing big qty's of their movie channels for years now and I thought part of it was slightly reduced framerate.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#548 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Well, looking at the map (not updated yet for this morning), the pattern that jumps out is that if there are two or more Cinema HD on a TP, that TP only has 4 channels on it, not 5.

Dunno if that's a recent phenomenon or not.

#549 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

They're starting to slip CINEHD into 1060 slots now? That's probably a positive, so far as getting further up the max curve on that theoretical 44 new HD slots.

well that or the PPV / part time feeds slots.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#550 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,389 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Well, looking at the map (not updated yet for this morning), the pattern that jumps out is that if there are two or more Cinema HD on a TP, that TP only has 4 channels on it, not 5.

Dunno if that's a recent phenomenon or not.

try again now, gct posted new revision ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...