Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV National HD Listing/Maps Discussion Thread (Technical - Not Anticipation)

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

It looks like they continue to lighten the load on D10.

I hope things are ok on D10. Great to see D12 can carry the load though.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

I am interested to see if they have moved any more transponders to six channels with all these moves.

I also wonder if this should be a clearing to prepare for that. Either way, its always fun to speculate!

#563 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am interested to see if they have moved any more transponders to six channels with all these moves.

I also wonder if this should be a clearing to prepare for that. Either way, its always fun to speculate!

I saw one 1060...

603 NBCSHD FT D12 23 1060

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#564 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Looks like 306 --> 340 move makes up space for iON West to go to 306.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#565 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Looks like 306 --> 340 move makes up space for iON West to go to 306.

It did;

ION west is on channel 306 now.

But still in SD of course ... meh :(

#566 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Smithsonian is a 1070 now? Are there 7 HD channels on that tp now? Or is it 1 SD + 6 HD or 2 SD + 5 HD (or any other combination) ?

Science Sho Extra and Starz now are 6th channels it looks like. Some good reorg going on.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#567 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Smithsonian is a 1070 now? Are there 7 HD channels on that tp now? Or is it 1 SD + 6 HD or 2 SD + 5 HD (or any other combination) ?

Science Sho Extra and Starz now are 6th channels it looks like. Some good reorg going on.

There is planned go for 1080 ... just wait and see when it happen.

#568 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

There is planned go for 1080 ... just wait and see when it happen.

Since they're already doing as many as 9 channels on Ka spotbeams today, I have no doubt. :)

#569 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Glad to see AXS remained in my Favorites List as it moved from 306 to 340. Also glad to see my upcoming recordings on AXS are still in the queue. :)

#570 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Since they're already doing as many as 9 channels on Ka spotbeams today, I have no doubt. :)

OTOH, P. Smith;

After some thought, if the Ka CONUS channels must use only QPSK modulation for greater signal robustness due to their lower PFD, and the Ka spotbeams that have as many as 9 channels mainly accomplish this by using using 8-PSK (so "more bits per baud") permitted by their higher PFD, maybe we won't see anymore than 6 channels per transponder for the CONUS beam channels at least.

#571 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

There is no doubts to see not in distance future more and more channels per one transponder using more compression of each without changing modulation and FEC.

#572 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

OTOH, P. Smith;

After some thought, if the Ka CONUS channels must use only QPSK modulation for greater signal robustness due to their lower PFD, and the Ka spotbeams that have as many as 9 channels mainly accomplish this by using using 8-PSK (so "more bits per baud") permitted by their higher PFD, maybe we won't see anymore than 6 channels per transponder for the CONUS beam channels at least.

That's what I thought too. Always wanted them to try 8-psk on Ka conus, but then I'm reminded how that may not be a good idea when it storms bad and I have rain fade.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#573 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

OTOH, P. Smith;

Actually, P. Smith posted that Portland's 9 locals from one tpn are using the same modulation as CONUS, just using a different FEC.

QPSK 4/5 for spot vs. QPSK 2/3 for CONUS.

Perhaps it may be possible to reduce the FEC a little to gain bit rate on CONUS beams?

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#574 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

What if they moved all the Ku stuff to 8-PSK?

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#575 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Actually, P. Smith posted that Portland's 9 locals from one tpn are using the same modulation as CONUS, just using a different FEC.

QPSK 4/5 for spot vs. QPSK 2/3 for CONUS.

Perhaps it may be possible to reduce the FEC a little to gain bit rate on CONUS beams?

Correct;

Forgot about P Smith's SA settings on that image he posted at the time.

http://www.dbstalk.c...94&d=1346434765

But, same problem as with a higher modulation level, don't know if a reduced code rate like that would work for the CONUS channels due to their beam's lower PDF.

#576 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

But, same problem as with a higher modulation level, don't know if a reduced code rate like that would work for the CONUS channels due to their beam's lower PDF.

That's the million dollar question, isn't it... :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#577 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

What if they moved all the Ku stuff to 8-PSK?

Don't think the SD receivers can handle 8-PSK as it probably wasn't a part of DIRECTV's original DSS standard which is similar to the first generation DVB-S standard which didn't include 8-PSK in it either if I recall.

#578 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Don't think the SD receivers can handle 8-PSK as it probably wasn't a part of DIRECTV's original DSS standard which is similar to the first generation DVB-S standard which didn't include 8-PSK in it either if I recall.

Maybe by 2016 then.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#579 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Will they even need to go to mor channels than six per to be able to carry everything in Hi Definition? After d14 launches, I doubt it, so its only a matter of how many channels they are thinking of adding between now and then.

#580 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

4K TV will require a lot of data. In this article: http://advanced-tele...12/10/01/37560/ they say Ku will be used for 4K and all the stuff on Ku now will be on Ka all in HD.

Maybe they will put 4K on a Ku bird because they can run 8-PSK and get better spectral efficiency which helps when moving that much data.

Of course this is a good 4 years way if all goes well... so anything can happen between now and then.

Slowly migrating legacy systems to ones that can do MPEG4 and 3LNB or 5LNB in the next 4 years seems like it would be a good plan.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

spam firewall