Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wii U info

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

http://arstechnica.c...ls-ahead-of-e3/

Is that controller size true to real life?!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Yes, the controller is actually that size, but it's not the only controller that you can use. They will have the Wii U Pro controller that looks just like an Xbox controller, and you'll use classic Wii controllers as well.

The big controller has lots of benefits, like laying it on the floor if you're playing golf, looking down at it and seeing your ball. You'll also be able to transfer your game from TV to controller if you want to switch the TV to a show.

Watch this video if you haven't seen it:

#3 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Any further info on this? I'm reading that sales are lagging considerably. Does anyone have one and can report on it? I understand it is HD and is also backwards compatible with Wii games, but those don't suddenly become HD, right? What about surround sound?
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,168 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Any further info on this? I'm reading that sales are lagging considerably. Does anyone have one and can report on it? I understand it is HD and is also backwards compatible with Wii games, but those don't suddenly become HD, right? What about surround sound?

Yes, it's HD (1080p) and does offer an optical digital out port as well.
Yes, the system is backwards compatible and it does offer upscaling. While it's not true HD, it's better than nothing..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

oops...didn't see this thread for some reason and I created a new one to ask about the Wii U.

If sales are lagging, I wonder if it will hurt the amount of new titles will be developed for it.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#6 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

If sales are lagging, I wonder if it will hurt the amount of new titles will be developed for it.

Nintendo has announced delays in the launch of several highly anticipated titles, including Wii Fit U. We did wind up buying one and spent this weekend exploring the capabilities and playing some downloaded games. Only NintendoLand (included in the 32GB "Deluxe" version) so far actually takes any real advantage of the capabilities of the Gamepad controller, but if that is any indication, it could prove quite interesting.

It looks like there are enough titles to keep it from being an expensive doorstop, unless you are a hardcore gamer that plays every title available, but I don't think it is aimed at that audience.

And it is backwards compatible with Wii games. It will also transfer content and settings from a Wii, but the process is not reversible. Once you perform the transfer, they are gone from the Wii and can't be restored. This could be a problem if you wanted to use the Wii U in one room and pass the Wii down for use in another room on an SD TV, say.

#7 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nintendo has announced delays in the launch of several highly anticipated titles, including Wii Fit U. We did wind up buying one and spent this weekend exploring the capabilities and playing some downloaded games. Only NintendoLand (included in the 32GB "Deluxe" version) so far actually takes any real advantage of the capabilities of the Gamepad controller, but if that is any indication, it could prove quite interesting.

It looks like there are enough titles to keep it from being an expensive doorstop, unless you are a hardcore gamer that plays every title available, but I don't think it is aimed at that audience.

And it is backwards compatible with Wii games. It will also transfer content and settings from a Wii, but the process is not reversible. Once you perform the transfer, they are gone from the Wii and can't be restored. This could be a problem if you wanted to use the Wii U in one room and pass the Wii down for use in another room on an SD TV, say.

have you played with TVii yet?
3 HR20's
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

have you played with TVii yet?

No we haven't, and we're not likely to. I'm not sure I get the point. I want to watch TV when I'm watching TV, not socialize.

#9 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

No we haven't, and we're not likely to. I'm not sure I get the point. I want to watch TV when I'm watching TV, not socialize.

for some reason I thought TVii was some kind of unified media interface and miiverse was the social portion.
3 HR20's
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...