Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH VIP922 is Back!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

DISH's VIP922 is again a choice to consider on DISH's website.

http://www.mydish.co...ucts/receivers/ :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SandyG3

SandyG3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Glad to hear. Ever since the Block Buster update last month; its been great. I've had no complaints from my 922 over the years. Has been a solid box for me.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Am I missing something, or hasn't it been back for a while now?

I thought it came back within a week of when they released the Blockbuster@Home firmware update. I know a DIRT rep posted they were available...

I never checked the Web site, though, so maybe they were just slow in adding it back there?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

I thought it came back within a week of when they released the Blockbuster@Home firmware update. I know a DIRT rep posted they were available...

I never checked the Web site, though, so maybe they were just slow in adding it back there?

You are correct sir,but I have been watching and just noticed the addition on DISH's website today.:)

Of course it could have been added,and I just missed it......Sooner!.;):D

#5 ONLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

It has been available again for about a month. Blockbuster@Home was added. Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Now I just need to get mine swapped out, since it keeps shutting off on me w/ the Fan blowing full blast. But 1st, I wanna try to see if I can salvage any recordings to an EHD. Course that means I gotta find the $ to get an EHD.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#7 ONLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Have you tried unplugging the receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and plugging the receiver back in to see if the power issue is resolved? Do you have sufficient ventilation around the receiver? When you are ready to replace the receiver, please PM me. Thanks.

Now I just need to get mine swapped out, since it keeps shutting off on me w/ the Fan blowing full blast. But 1st, I wanna try to see if I can salvage any recordings to an EHD. Course that means I gotta find the $ to get an EHD.

#8 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

After 17 years with Dish, I still haven't had a DVR & I keep delaying. For the past 2-3 years, I've had (2) 211k's. I don't care about the whole-house DVR concept because we would never use/watch the DVR in any room other than our main viewing room. But at the same time, I'm the type who likes all the bells & whistles and nice looking interface. Considering that, would I be just as happy with the 922 as I would the Hopper? Also, I don't see from the specs if the 922 has a built-in OTA tuner. I know the Hopper does not!

I do prefer having this capability because I happen to be one who believes HD viewing of locals via OTA yields better a PQ than SAT.

Ken

Edited by khearrean, 10 June 2012 - 01:18 PM.

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#9 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

The 922k has an expansion slot for an OTA tuner. Its not built in. Its a $50 add on thru dish, or buy it online for $35 plus shiping. The only receiver I know that has a built in tuner is the 722 NON-k model, anotherwords NOT the 722k model. The 722k model is the same as the 922k, has a slot for the OTA module to slide into. It would appear the 622 also has 1 built in. But I believe those models are hard to find.

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

After 17 years with Dish, I still haven't had a DVR & I keep delaying. For the past 2-3 years, I've had (2) 211k's. I don't care about the whole-house DVR concept because we would never use/watch the DVR in any room other than our main viewing room. But at the same time, I'm the type who likes all the bells & whistles and nice looking interface. Considering that, would I be just as happy with the 922 as I would the Hopper? Also, I don't see from the specs if the 922 has a built-in OTA tuner. I know the Hopper does not!

I do prefer having this capability because I happen to be one who believes HD viewing of locals via OTA yields better a PQ than SAT.

Ken

I believe the same way you do,and with the Dual Over The Air Tuners Module(MT2) in the VIP922 it works good.Would you be just as happy?,don't know, but I am.I'm running the VIP922/wMT2 and 3-211ks in the bedrooms.Got them all tied together with the DISH Sling Turbo Homeplug Adaptor.:D

I really like the new Logo Guide Format and Menu Tiles.:D

When I want to watch an HD channel on my computer in another room having the built in Slingbox is sweet too!.:D

Edited by Jhon69, 11 June 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I forgot to mention that the 211k's also have a built in OTA tuner, or at least I believe they do (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). And the 211's can be made INTO a dvr by purchasing a 1 TB (or less) external HD.

#12 ONLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

All the receivers have an OTA or TV/Antenna Cable In Port. The 922,222k, and 722k have a slot for the OTA module, allowing for 2 tuners. The other OTA configuration (built-in) has only 1 tuner. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that the 211k's also have a built in OTA tuner, or at least I believe they do (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). And the 211's can be made INTO a dvr by purchasing a 1 TB (or less) external HD.

#13 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

All the receivers have an OTA or TV/Antenna Cable In Port. The 922,222k, and 722k have a slot for the OTA module, allowing for 2 tuners. The other OTA configuration (built-in) has only 1 tuner. Thanks.

Now I'm confused. Are you saying that all Dish receivers including DVR's have at least (1) built-in OTA tuner like my 211k? That's not what I've been understanding..

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yup, they do. 622 and 722 have an antenna port for a single tuner. The others have a slot for an MT2 dual ota tuner card.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 ONLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yes, all receivers have the OTA capability. The older receivers have a coax port (TV Antenna/Cable IN), with newer receivers having TV Antenna/ Cable In -8VSB-. These are pass through ports.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 922, 722k, and 222k have a slot for the OTA Module. The 922 and 722k provide the dual tuner OTA module. 222k is not a DVR receiver. Thanks.

Now I'm confused. Are you saying that all Dish receivers including DVR's have at least (1) built-in OTA tuner like my 211k? That's not what I've been understanding..

Ken

#16 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

"All" being the HD receivers as listed and the 811/381. Hopper will someday have an add-on USB tuner.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#17 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

VIP612 has built in OTA

#18 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Yes, all receivers have the OTA capability. The older receivers have a coax port (TV Antenna/Cable IN), with newer receivers having TV Antenna/ Cable In -8VSB-. These are pass through ports.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 922, 722k, and 222k have a slot for the OTA Module. The 922 and 722k provide the dual tuner OTA module. 222k is not a DVR receiver. Thanks.

Sorry to still be on this, but maybe I'm just ignorant! When you say the 922 has a slot for the OTA module, that doesn't sound like a built-in OTA tuner. That gives me the impression the slot is there for an "optional" OTA tuner. My 211k has a built-in OTA tuner (labeled "Over The Air Antenna In") so I can receive my locals via an OTA antenna. (I don't have to buy/have an optional module). I'm looking for the same thing with the 922, since I know the Hopper doesn't have one built-in. And the written specs on the 922 say nothing about having a built-in OTA tuner.

Ken

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

On the 922, just like the 722k, the OTA is an extra cost option. But it is an internal one. You just take a small plate off the back of the unit and slide the tuner module into place.

On the others, OTA is built-in already.

With the Hopper, when OTA becomes available it will be a USB device.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#20 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

On the 922, just like the 722k, the OTA is an extra cost option. But it is an internal one. You just take a small plate off the back of the unit and slide the tuner module into place.

On the others, OTA is built-in already.

With the Hopper, when OTA becomes available it will be a USB device.

Great! That's exactly the answer I was looking for..

Thanks,

Ken

spam firewall