Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

IF DIRECTV were concerned about the Roku threat how do they feel about this?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

For reasons known only to them, D* has chosen not to allow HBO Go access on the Roku. Some guessed that perhaps D* was a little uncomfortable helping a company like Roku that markets a cord cutting device.

HBO Go IS available for D* subscribers on the Xbox, after all, that's a gaming console and not a cord cutting streamer.

Think again:
http://m.techcrunch....ble-box-killer/

This isn't something that will cause people to cut the cord tomorrow, but Microsoft has stated that their goal is to own the living room with the Xbox.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Microsoft has never hidden the fact that they wanted to control the living room. They made that clear when they announced the original Xbox.

It always seemed strange to me that Directv would have anything to do with them, but I suppose money talks, and Microsoft is no stranger to throwing money at every opportunity they see.

But perhaps with ESPN going to Xbox Live, and potentially pulling people away from the cable/sat companies, we'll see a drop in the price of ESPN, or maybe even an a la carte offering, which would be welcomed, imo.

#3 OFFLINE   ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

For the moment, you still need to be subscribed to a TV service in order to use the XBox video services like ESPN. So this is not a cord cutting tool. Frankly, though, neither is HBO GO on Roku.

#4 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

For the moment, you still need to be subscribed to a TV service in order to use the XBox video services like ESPN. So this is not a cord cutting tool. Frankly, though, neither is HBO GO on Roku.

True, but how long will that last? Not very long IMO.

#5 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

That's true, but MS spent the second half of last year talking about pay tv on the Xbox, then in January's said that it would be too expensive.

It might be easier to negotiate lower fees with the pay networks if they could show several million active users.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

People said the same thing 5 years ago and we're still not close.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Access to HBOGO content will always require a subsrciption, whether through a cable or sat provider, or delivered directly via streaming. Why would/should HBO ever give away their programming?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

People said the same thing 5 years ago and we're still not close.

Watch ESPN, HBO Go, MAX Go, CNN app, TruTV, Showtime Anytime and soon enough Starz. All networks with streaming apps. We're much closer to over the top now than 5 years ago.

Maybe it doesn't ever happen, but MS has the money to make it happen if they want to.

#9 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Why would/should HBO ever give away their programming?

Nobody said that they should.

#10 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Access to HBOGO content will always require a subsrciption, whether through a cable or sat provider, or delivered directly via streaming. Why would/should HBO ever give away their programming?

My point wasn't that it wouldn't require a subscription. My point is that in the near future HBO/ESPN will target consumers directly a la Netflix.

You are of course right, there will always be a price to pay, but forcing linear tv subscriptions to access HBO Go, ESPN, etc won't last past this decade IMO.

#11 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Watch ESPN, HBO Go, MAX Go, CNN app, TruTV, Showtime Anytime and soon enough Starz. All networks with streaming apps. We're much closer to over the top now than 5 years ago.

Maybe it doesn't ever happen, but MS has the money to make it happen if they want to.

Exactly, and if any company has the desire to, it'll be MS.

#12 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

The wait is over - I saw over the weekend that you can now stream videos, free (with Prime account) and paid through Amazon on the Xbox now.

#13 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

The wait is over - I saw over the weekend that you can now stream videos, free (with Prime account) and paid through Amazon on the Xbox now.

Wait, do you mean HBO shows are on Amazon Primes streaming service, or just that Amazon primes streaming service is available to Xbox Live subscribers?

#14 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Could be that HBO wanted too much per subscriber for DIRECTV customers to access it on Roku?

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

We're really not but the companies are doing well to provide more options to make their brands more relevant.

Wait, do you mean HBO shows are on Amazon Primes streaming service, or just that Amazon primes streaming service is available to Xbox Live subscribers?

There are some HBO shows but nothing current. If you don't mind being a couple of seasons behind it might be ok for you. It's a supplemental service not a take over service. Amazon wants to make money and not be targeted by IPS's for bandwidth issues.

Of all the services Prime gives you the most for your dollar due to the shipping upgrade as well and the fact that you can allow people in your house to have individual log ins unlike Netflix.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   ponchsox

ponchsox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

I wonder how many people just cancelled HBO after the Game of Thrones finale?

#17 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

I wonder how many people just cancelled HBO after the Game of Thrones finale?

Less than those who called to add it because of Game of Thrones I'd bet.

#18 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Could be that HBO wanted too much per subscriber for DIRECTV customers to access it on Roku?

Dish has it, so I'd find that hard to believe.

D* hasn't been shy about saying that fees are too high. If money had been the object they could have, should have and probably would have said so.

They gave me several reasons why and none were about money.

#19 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Perfect example...the "Watch ESPN" app. D* doesn't have access to it but other companies do. Probably comes down to $$$

#20 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

Perfect example...the "Watch ESPN" app. D* doesn't have access to it but other companies do. Probably comes down to $$$

That's definitely a money issue, as in how much ESPN wants for the Watch service AND the Longhorn Network.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...