Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to the hopper - On demand & network questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi all,
We just had our 1-Hopper, no-Joey install on Friday, and are really happy with the hopper so far. Unless something is wrong with our setup, It looks like I should have done a bit more research into On-Demand as nothing from ABC or CBS is included, and only a single show (Grimm) is listed for NBC. The wife isn't too happy that she missed the season finale to Revenge and can't watch it on on-demand. My bad :(

We often get errors about not being able to connect to our broadband network. The installer installed a wireless usb adapter, and we get 50-55 signal strength. Could that be the issue? When we tell it to reconnect, it has no problem reconnecting, and the usb wireless page always shows that it's connected.

I had also read that for most people to get DLNA to work, a HIC is required. Is this required for a hopper-only setup as well? I'm hoping that once DLNA is set up and I use something like tvercity or playon, she'll be able to stream her older network shows. Still a bit unclear about the HIC, whether a tap is required, etc. The installer installed a SoloNode since we jsut have a single hopper.

Thanks for the help!
------------------------------------
Dish Network Hopper (no joeys)
JVC D702B A/V Receiver
Panasonic TH50PH9UK 50" plasma

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Also can't connect using dishonline.com. I suppose it may be blocked by my router/firewall... anybody have an outline of what needs to be opened in the firewall to allow access from dishonline?
JVC D702B A/V Receiver

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

For one h2k Ethernet cable is enough.

Activate logging on your router/firewall and gather the port's ##.

#4 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

For one h2k Ethernet cable is enough.

Activate logging on your router/firewall and gather the port's ##.

hey P Smith do u have a computer background?
u seem to be a very computer smart guy .a techie

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

yes

#6 OFFLINE   TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

My router is upstairs and the hopper is downstairs, so no direct ethernet connection available. Last night, I replaced the usb wireless adapter that the installer connected with a bridge I had hanging around. With the hopper now connected via an ethernet cable, instead of the usb wireless, DLNA now works, and on-demand is more stable. I still see some slowness with DLNA, so I'm now thinking I need to install a HIC upstairs at the router, and a TAP downstairs at the hopper (the hopper is currently directly connected to the dish via a solo node). That should provide better performance for DLNA. Does that sound correct?

BTW - I chatted online with Dish tech support about dishonline's inability to connect. I don't get a message saying the hopper is offline like some other people see - the screen just continually says 'Loading...' and nothing ever displays. The tech said that it could take up to an hour for dishonline to find the hopper, but it's a one-time thing. I didn't have high hopes about that response, but left it overnight. Still saying 'Loading' this morning.
To do a bit of troubleshooting, In IE9, I opened the Developer Tools screen and went to the console tab. Interestingly, the web page is getting this error:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'slingbox_user': object is null or undefined. common_compile.js?1338451808, line 165 character 110

Some javascript error, but it's beyond me (I do have Java installed and enabled).
JVC D702B A/V Receiver

#7 OFFLINE   TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

I thought I'd provide an update...
I wasn't getting very good signal strength on the wireless network connection (hopper is downstairs, router is upstairs, and no ethernet cabling between the two). I ended up buying a HIC and a Tap. Installed the HIC upstairs next to the router and connected the coax to our home coax cabling. Downstairs at the hopper, I connected the hopper, the line from the solo node and our home coax to the Tap and everything now works perfectly! Since we have no joeys, the installer didn't run a line from the Client connector on the solo node, so the HIC/Tap was the way to go. DLNA using Playon is snappy and now works consistently.

Dishonline.com also works now. I tried opening ports and placing the hopper in the dmz to no avail. After reverting to my original network configuration (closed ports, put hopper back inside the lan), I happened to do a power cycle reboot of the hopper, and that seems to be what was needed to get dishonline to connect. I can now see my guide, timers, etc online!

The whole family is super happy with our switch back to dish, especially with auto-hop!
JVC D702B A/V Receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...