Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Vs DirectTv vs Cable PICTURE QUALITY

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DomceDXM1

DomceDXM1

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hey Everyone,

I currently have cable, but am looking at other options. The only thing I am concerned about is picture quality. I need to know if Dish and DirectTV have equal picture quality to cable or not. Ideally i would like to get Dish due to the hopper feature. Commercials ruin TV for me... But not if the quality is worse than what I have now.

I know that dish used to downsample the video on their service in the past. Is this still the case? Has anyone viewed dish vs DTV vs cable side by side and compared them?

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Both Dish and DirecTV in almost every case are going to have better quality than cable. Dish and DirecTV are very close so much so the human eye usually cant tell. But I think dish does still down res their HD and DTV doesnt I think.

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

I had dish for 3 years, From 2007-2010
Directv I've had from 1996-1999 ,2004-2010, 2012-present
I had Blue ridge Cable from 2010-2012

IMO, Cable is by far the worst HD, But very good SD
Dish and Directv are very close when I had them, But I still had to give Directv the edge, there seems like some channels were better PQ then dish, where as Dish seemed the same across the board and none any better then Directv.

I would not choose one or the other based on PQ. Its too close, and one would not know a difference without having them side by side, and even then it wasn't all the time.

Dish I liked, I loved the VIPs, and if the company was ran to where I didn't feel cheated every other day. It might have worked out.
But they are missing things I like and they seem to continue to drop things I like.
Just my opinion.

I would tell you look at the channel line ups and see what suits your needs, but who knows with Dish whats on the chopping block.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#4 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Fios Has the best HD PQ I've ever seen from a provider. But I hate their motorola boxes.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#5 OFFLINE   DomceDXM1

DomceDXM1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thank you for all of your responses. I failed to mention that I am a cablevision subscriber (Not verizon FIOS). Does anyone know how Dish and DTV compare to this specific cable company? (i did not realize that diff cable companies had different qualit PQ).

Also, Only the HD signal matters to me. I have a big HDTV and our family never watches SD anymore.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for all of your responses. I failed to mention that I am a cablevision subscriber (Not verizon FIOS). Does anyone know how Dish and DTV compare to this specific cable company? (i did not realize that diff cable companies had different qualit PQ).

I notice you're in NY...If NY sports matter to, then don't get Disy.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   DomceDXM1

DomceDXM1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

My family actually only watches olympic games, so sports are not an issue. Looking at which channels were available, either DTV or Dish would be suitable. Only reason why I would lean toward Dish (if HD quality is up to par) is because of hopper feature.

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

My family actually only watches olympic games, so sports are not an issue. Looking at which channels were available, either DTV or Dish would be suitable. Only reason why I would lean toward Dish (if HD quality is up to par) is because of hopper feature.

Well the Hopper feature is in a Lawsuit, So who knows what will happen there, maybe nothing, maybe something. Just keep that in mind.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Just know the limitations of the Hopper...it's a cool product. You want to make sure a service matches your viewing habits in your family...like how many people watching tv and when.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   DomceDXM1

DomceDXM1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

That is good to know. I will definately take that into account. I am still hoping someone can vouch for Dish/ DTV vs Cablevision picture quality.

Also, does bad weather interfere with your service? (either DTV or Dish)?

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thunderstorms, Yes
Heavy wet snow, Yes,
Ice, yes

Thunderstorms, the HD goes first, the SD which comes of a KU satellite for Directv most times is ok, But sometimes its out too just depends how high the cloud tops are. Mostly at the begining of a storm when the clouds are just about on your doorstep.

Dish when I had the 1000.4 Dish was just about the same, except it went out after the Directv one and came back after Directv, The reason Dish faces Southeast and Directv Southwest. So the same IMO

Now snow and Ice, Dish by far worse in my location.
Reason. The Dishnetwork 1000.4 was set at 42 degree elevation, so it was more like a snow catcher.

Directv slimline 36 degree Snow mostly falls off.

If your in the northeast, put your dish where it can be reached, or put a heater on it.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#12 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

should put telco in between, have uverse and the picture quality is superb, havent tried cable/sat yet, but I can tell you ATT is nice!!

#13 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have the exact same question on PQ between Dish and Direct. Definitely appreciate all inputs, especially from folks with 60" screens or larger, where small differences definitely can be magnified. I'm a stickler for max picture quality, and am very interested in this question before switching.

This is my first ever post on a DirectTV forum. Been with Dish for 15 years, but will be switching to DirectTV on July 5th, if Dish's AMC dispute isn't resolved by then (Breaking Bad premiers on July 15...)

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

should put telco in between, have uverse and the picture quality is superb, havent tried cable/sat yet, but I can tell you ATT is nice!!

Uverse is the worst PQ I've ever seen.

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

I have the exact same question on PQ between Dish and Direct. Definitely appreciate all inputs, especially from folks with 60" screens or larger, where small differences definitely can be magnified. I'm a stickler for max picture quality, and am very interested in this question before switching.

This is my first ever post on a DirectTV forum. Been with Dish for 15 years, but will be switching to DirectTV on July 5th, if Dish's AMC dispute isn't resolved by then (Breaking Bad premiers on July 15...)

You will either notice no difference or that DirecTV is better...you will rarely find DirecTV to be worse.

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have a Sony XBR-65HX929 in my home theater room. You won't be disappointed with DirecTV's picture quality if your using 60" screen or larger.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Cable providers are limited on the physical hardware of wires and trunks. Because of this, they are able to offer less HD channels and may have some HD channels in 720p when they can get away with it.

Because satelite companies can send their programming through the air, they have less physical limitations, though the signal can then be disrupted from storms. I had a SEVERE thunderstorm about 2 days ago and I lost my Directv service for about 5 minutes. Only when the lightning was all around me did I lose picture, at which time I just watched something I had recorded on the DVR.

Technically fiber optics are becoming borderline limitless on bandwidth though FiOs and Uverse haven't quite got it right yet, especially since there is still a trunk involved.

Also 1080p can seem very similar on all providers (perhaps not enough difference to matter) based on the tv you watch. A 60hz tv is not going to show as many imperfections as 120hz or 240hz.

I believe it will all come down to the setup you are looking for. If you only need 3 or 6 reliant tuners and you have no use for sports, Dish is probably the way to go. If you want the same with unreliant tuners, and could use some sports in the future, go with Directv.

Note: I use 'reliant' loosely to mean relying on availability to a central device. Joey's rely on availability of the Hopper they are connected to(in the event a program is recorded on a Hopper the Joey is not connected to or a Joey is connected to a Hopper with no free tuners). The 'unreliant' for Directv being that all receivers have their own tuner.

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

My experience is with 55 inch tv's. If you think dish is good with a 60" tv , then directv will be no problem for you.

As I said many times I wouldn't bother to base PQ on deciding your provider between Dish and Directv

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#19 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

My experience is with 55 inch tv's. If you think dish is good with a 60" tv , then directv will be no problem for you.

As I said many times I wouldn't bother to base PQ on deciding your provider between Dish and Directv

Agreed. There both good and you cant really go wrong with either one when it comes to PQ.

#20 OFFLINE   mirak

mirak

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Uverse is the worst PQ I've ever seen.

Agreed. Uverse HD picture quality is significantly worse than the cable in my area. The compression artifacts are terrible. Watch a football game and the field looks it is made of of green lego blocks. Just Google "Uverse Picture Quality" to see all the complaints. I switched back to cable after a few months.

FIOS is supposed to be the best, even better than satellite, but it is not available in my area.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...