Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Vs DirectTv vs Cable PICTURE QUALITY

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

Agreed. Uverse HD picture quality is significantly worse than the cable in my area. The compression artifacts are terrible. Watch a football game and the field looks it is made of of green lego blocks. Just Google "Uverse Picture Quality" to see all the complaints. I switched back to cable after a few months.

FIOS is supposed to be the best, even better than satellite, but it is not available in my area.

Exactly. They just got Uverse in my area and I went to a friends house and saw that he had Uverse. The worst PQ I have ever seen. I would have taken TWC back.

When I was in New York, I had Fios for about 3 months. It is the best service you can get. Now that I have DirecTV, Fios definitely has a better PQ than Direct.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

That is good to know. I will definately take that into account. I am still hoping someone can vouch for Dish/ DTV vs Cablevision picture quality.

Also, does bad weather interfere with your service? (either DTV or Dish)?

My in-laws have Cablevision in Ocean County, NJ.

Their PQ is so bad as to be noticeable to my wife. And then she actually commented on it. That says a lot.

To me it's positively nauseating that they call their macroblocked channels HD.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#23 OFFLINE   Canyouhearme987

Canyouhearme987

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

I had Comcast here in Atlanta for a few years before I made the switch to Directv 2 years ago. The picture quality is a lot better in both HD and SD.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

I had Comcast here in Atlanta for a few years before I made the switch to Directv 2 years ago. The picture quality is a lot better in both HD and SD.

You must have had one crappy Comcast system if their SD was worse than DirecTv. Im guessing that was when they still had 98 analog channels hogging space. Its improved dramatically since they got rid of analog channels here.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   mirak

mirak

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I just got Time Warner Cable hooked up in the KC area. So far, I've had Surewest (cable), Uverse, back to Surewest, and now over to TWC.

TWC has the best looking HD of the three. I have not compared to satellite, but the HD sure looks nice on my 64" Samsung d7000 plasma.

I would say TWC is lightly better than Surewest, and both cable providers are a LOT better than Uverse. There's a lot to like about Uverse, but anybody who says Uverse has great HD either needs to get their eyes checked or just doesn't know what they're missing.

TWC uses Cisco DVRs. They're fairly basic. The menu is not pretty, and it is a little slow to respond, but it is intuitive and easy to use.

I'm still on the fence about switching to DirecTV. Over the 2-year contract, the monthly average would be about $15 cheaper than TWC (and, while I'm not locked into a contract with TWC, my price is only locked for 1 year). Also, it appears that my TWC package actually offers more HD channels than DirecTV.

I think the DirecTV HR34 would be nicer than TWC's Cisco boxes, but I can't say for sure. I hear DirecTV will have better HD, but again, I can't say for sure.

#26 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Also, it appears that my TWC package actually offers more HD channels than DirecTV.

Just about every provider offers more HD channels than DirecTV.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Just about every provider offers more HD channels than DirecTV.

With cable, that is very dependent on market.

#28 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

I happened to look at a Dish uplink report from today and see that they are now putting 9 HD channels on a transponder on the western arc. This was for Ciel-2 and just looked at TP 17 and 18.

TP 17 looks like it has Lifetime, Food, HGTV, A&E, MTV, Discovery, TLC, TWC and MGM while TP18 has Comedy, FX, TBS, SPike, Nick, Toon, OWN, CNN and Retro.

Is 9 HD channels on a TP new or have they been doing it for awhile now? If new how does the PQ look on those channels, just curious?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#29 OFFLINE   VolFanLC

VolFanLC

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

For what it is worth, I had my 2 year old Panasonic VT25 65" tv professionally calibrated earlier this week and the technician and I got to talking and he saw that I had a Dish Network box so he asked how I liked it. I said it had been fine since I got it two years ago. His reply was that Dish's PQ is not nearly as good as DirecTV's currently (his exact statement was "Dish sucks" I think) and that is coming from a guy that has calibrated TVs for the last 14 years. He said that Dish has fallen behind as far as upgrading certain things that enhance PQ so DirecTV is the best if you truly want the best PQ out there. Just my two cents.

#30 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

I had DirecTV from 1997-1999, DISH from 1999-2001, then back to DirecTV until 2011. I have now been now on RCN cable (Lehigh Valley). Their HD channels are excellent.. and the PQ is 90% of DirecTV... I did this to save some $$. Used to have DirecTV, Verizon phone and RCN Internet... all costing around $200 per mo... Going with RCN bundle deal saves me around $60 a month. I really hated leaving DirecTV... but $$ is $$.
And I get Showtime and Stars and Fox Soccer w/o spending anything extra...

Edited by HarryD, 20 October 2012 - 08:07 PM.

HarryD

#31 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

I've had TWC since June 2011. Before that, I had Directv from 2006-2011. I had Dish between 97 and 2006. My impression is that hands down, TWC has a far superior SD picture compared to either satellite provider. The HD on TWC is excellent, and I have more HD channels than I had with Directv. I suppose, in the comparision to cable, it really depends on where you live and how updated your cable system may be. If Directv pq on HD is better, it's very difficult to tell, and I make this statement using a 60" Samsung LED.

With TWC, I don't believe I've had any outages on the TV portion, but have had issues with internet dropping. I use Tivo Premieres. Without them, I'd be frustrated with the TWC Cisco boxes.

#32 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

In terms of PQ w/ Dish (allthough I have a Directv box, its standard def so can't really compare), I can't really see a difference between Dish's HD locals when compared to the OTA broadcast FROM the locals, on my 42inch Sony w/ built-in digital tuner. It looks the same, course can't really compare ESPN since ESPN isnt an OTA channel :)

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Cable differs by location and provider. DirecTV obviously beats Dish Network in HD PQ. Dish Network intentionally limits their HD PQ and customers have chosen to ignore it.

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

*eyeroll*

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#35 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Both Dish and DirecTV in almost every case are going to have better quality than cable.

I can tell you this from MY EXPERIENCE!

DirecTV looks MUCH BETTER than the cable we have!!!! (OVER COMPRESSED GARBAGE)

I dont know how Dish looks but i gather it looks like DTV does..

#36 OFFLINE   cheetahz

cheetahz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

PQ with Dish and Direct TV pretty much the same. Dish better are some channels Direct on others. Off Air HD is much better then either. Off air looks sharp, with vibrant colors and much more crisp. Then it's not compressed nearly as much. Difference of having your sharpness control set on TV soft to sharp somewhat like a film on screen. I have a 120 inch screen and Dish up converter for SD much better then Direct TV. This becomes important if you watch any OTA channels that are SD like sub channels 47-1 47-2 etc. Sub channels are always SD but then most of the time you don't get those channels on satellite or cable. We have Fibernet cable here which I believe looks as good if not a tad better then Direct TV or Dish but very expensive when you have to have additional HD boxes. OTA still trumps all if you are in area you can receive from antenna. Again this is on a 120 inch screen so on a 60 inch probably never see the difference except for OTA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...