Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
New to DirectTV - Need Advice
Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:31 AM
Please help...just want to make sure that the installation is performed in the best possible way.
Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:45 AM
In snow country, it's nice to keep them low so the snow can be cleaned, but I doubt you have much where you are.
Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:23 PM
sony KDL-46Z4100 w/hdmi cable hookup
AUD9 slimline dish-H23-600 receiver
sony str-dg500 dvd & cd player
pc-dell dimension 8400 w/ 22" widescreen
flat panel ultrasharp hd monitor w/ adjustable stand
Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:39 PM
I've been with directv almost 16 yrs. the best place to put a dish is where you can get your hands on it, I don't know why anybody would want a dish on top of the house, unless you would have to dodge a tree or something!
Well, LOS is one reason! Also, out of the way means no jarring from errant footballs, baseballs, kids, drunks, pets and vandals. OTOH, there's aesthetics...
Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:01 PM
Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:41 AM
My thoughts on this are multi-fold, yet for simplistic reasons:
1. There is always a possibility of a roof leakage no matter how well the dish is secured.
2. If and when you have any roof work done in the area of the dish it would need to be removed and remounted.
3. It's easier to clean off a dish due to ice, snow, debri, etc if it's not out of reach.
I much prefer to mount into brick, masonry or wood. As an alternate plan, a well placed pole mount can be just as effective. Again my last resort is a roof, facia, or sofit mount.
Make sure the dish and lines are grounded; as I've gone back and correcting several other installers less than desirable installations for just this reason.