Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to DirectTV - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sb4wvu

sb4wvu

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hello - I am new to satellite TV and have a Direct TV install planned for next week. What things should I watch out for during installation? e.g., Is there a best location for the dish install (roof vs yard)? Instead of relying on the installer to make all of the decisions, I'm hoping to have enough information to make specific requests during installation if appropriate.

Please help...just want to make sure that the installation is performed in the best possible way.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

A clear view of the sky is more important than if the dish is high or low, as that doesn't make any difference.
In snow country, it's nice to keep them low so the snow can be cleaned, but I doubt you have much where you are.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   wmj5

wmj5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I've been with directv almost 16 yrs. the best place to put a dish is where you can get your hands on it, I don't know why anybody would want a dish on top of the house, unless you would have to dodge a tree or something!
directv since 1995
sony KDL-46Z4100 w/hdmi cable hookup
AUD9 slimline dish-H23-600 receiver
sony str-dg500 dvd & cd player
pc-dell dimension 8400 w/ 22" widescreen
flat panel ultrasharp hd monitor w/ adjustable stand

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,718 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've been with directv almost 16 yrs. the best place to put a dish is where you can get your hands on it, I don't know why anybody would want a dish on top of the house, unless you would have to dodge a tree or something!

Well, LOS is one reason! Also, out of the way means no jarring from errant footballs, baseballs, kids, drunks, pets and vandals. OTOH, there's aesthetics...
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Don't let the tech cross the streams.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

When the installer shows up, take a couple of minutes to walk/talk through everything he plans to do before he starts work. Make sure you both agree on what is to be done, and how it is to be done..

#7 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

I would only erect a dish on a roof (peak, centerline or over the eave), as a last resort if no other locations are possible.

My thoughts on this are multi-fold, yet for simplistic reasons:
1. There is always a possibility of a roof leakage no matter how well the dish is secured.
2. If and when you have any roof work done in the area of the dish it would need to be removed and remounted.
3. It's easier to clean off a dish due to ice, snow, debri, etc if it's not out of reach.

I much prefer to mount into brick, masonry or wood. As an alternate plan, a well placed pole mount can be just as effective. Again my last resort is a roof, facia, or sofit mount.

Make sure the dish and lines are grounded; as I've gone back and correcting several other installers less than desirable installations for just this reason.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...