Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longmire on A&E

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Good deal, only a few small things nag me that are just plain wrong for WY but all in all it isn't bad. The unbelievably long license plate number on the last episode cracked me up, most they can have is 6 or 7 numbers and the first 1-2 are the county number, up to 23, that are ranked by population. Should have been X county XXXX. Suppose they didn't want to get even close to a real plate number since the character was a suspected pedophile. Would have been kind of a cool inside joke if they would have made it 24 county XXXX.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I like it thumbs up ,after all how much crab fishing, storage lockers , pawn, pickers, gold rush, flying alaska, choppers, truck driving, shows can a man take.:nono:
  • satcrazy likes this

#23 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

This one is definitely a keeper on the SL.....

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#24 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Good deal, only a few small things nag me that are just plain wrong for WY but all in all it isn't bad. The unbelievably long license plate number on the last episode cracked me up, most they can have is 6 or 7 numbers and the first 1-2 are the county number, up to 23, that are ranked by population. Should have been X county XXXX. Suppose they didn't want to get even close to a real plate number since the character was a suspected pedophile. Would have been kind of a cool inside joke if they would have made it 24 county XXXX.

I read somewhere they did have some 24 county tags on some of the vehicles in the pilot. And Craig Johnson now has several of those. :) It gets better with each episode. And I really enjoy it now that I've nearly finished the first book and know more of the back stories. I gotta tell you, Deputy Vic is something else in the book. Talk about a strong, independent woman. With a mouth on her like a sailor. :lol:
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

In terms of acting, writing, directing and general production values, I think this is the best new show of this Summer Season. Everything is done well.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

I have really enjoyed this program. The season finale will have Charles S. Dutton appearing as a detective from Colorado. Should be a good one.

A&E Renews Longmire for 2nd season is great news also.

I just started the 4th book in the series. There are some differences but that's to be expected I guess.

#27 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Quickly became one of my favorite shows. Glad it was renew.

#28 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

I like the show but it is too slow paced to be one of my favorite serialized shows. I watch this show when my DVR is clear of shows like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, Falling skies, etc. This is more of a time filler show like Rookie Blue, Breakout kings, etc.

#29 OFFLINE   Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Season 1 is a wrap, the wife and I are watching and enjoying this one togather. I also started the Longmire books, author Craig Johnson is in fact a former Montana Sheriff. Absarouka County is fictional, but there is an Absarouka mountain range in the NW corner of the state. However the terrain seen in the series is more like the counties along the Southern border of Montana. Johnson wrote book #1 in 2005 and has published once per year since then, with book #8 in 2012.

I have finished the first three books. The A&E scripts are original, save for the Season 1 finale which is a plot from book #1.

#30 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Looking forward to next season.

#31 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Season 1 is a wrap, the wife and I are watching and enjoying this one togather. I also started the Longmire books, author Craig Johnson is in fact a former Montana Sheriff. Absarouka County is fictional, but there is an Absarouka mountain range in the NW corner of the state. However the terrain seen in the series is more like the counties along the Southern border of Montana. Johnson wrote book #1 in 2005 and has published once per year since then, with book #8 in 2012.

I have finished the first three books. The A&E scripts are original, save for the Season 1 finale which is a plot from book #1.

I'm about half way through the 5th book. I'm really looking forward to next season. Although I will say the season finale was not one of the better episodes, in my opinion. Some good spots but not that good overall.

#32 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

However the terrain seen in the series is more like the counties along the Southern border of Montana.

After enjoying a long stretch of success with The Closer, the prime-prime drama that kept him and partner John Coveny gainfully employed for the better part of seven years, writer-producer Hunt Baldwin is eager to impress audiences with his latest cable-TV project: Longmire, the modern-day western set to kick off a 10-episode run June 3 on the A&E Network.

But he and Coveny are walking into this new territory with their eyes wide open, acutely aware that their latest show will be subjected to close scrutiny by the most demanding critics imaginable: The many faithful fans of the Craig Johnson mystery novels that are the producers’ source material.

“That’s something we take seriously,” Baldwin said while calling from a location near Santa Fe that is doubling for the Wyoming setting of Johnson’s books. “We want to make sure they’re happy.

http://www.cowboysin...-To-The-Screen/
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#33 OFFLINE   Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, Santa Fe actually makes sense. I kept wondering why it seemed like the Grand Tetons were never visible in any direction, because you can see them from parts of three states.

Certainly the books have more detail about the crimes, plus more detail about the politics, both tribal and county. Longmire has a love life but keeps hooking up with the wrong woman, and getting hurt. In many ways these books are a contemporary police procedural, kinda like a Western version of Robert B.Parker's Jesse Stone. The sparse prose is similar in style, and not at all like the historical Westerns that Parker wrote (Appaloosa and Monte Walsh).

For my money, the very best subplot that keeps popping up in the books is the recurrent one of the Indian spirits. In times of great physical stress and sometimes in dreams, Longmire actually sees and is aided by the ghosts of the famous Lakota warriors and Dog Soldiers. He will not even discuss this with Henry, knowing that if word gets around, he will never win re-election. In this aspect of Native American spirituality, the Longmire novels resemble those of Tony Hillerman. However, it would be very difficult to do this topic justice in a weekly TV series, whereas Johnson crafts each book over 12 months.

In the books, Vic the female Deputy is a fiery black-haired Italian going through a divorce in Wyoming, after she moved from Philidelphia to Wyoming with her new husband, giving up her job as a beat cop for 5+ years. Then he moved on to another job in Alaska, and she refused to go. I had doubts about Katee Sackoff in the role, but she's actually very good. I also had doubts about Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear, because in the books, Henry is a very large powerfull man and Phillips is slight. But Phillips is now a good actor, and portrays Henry well.

I highly reccomend the books.

Edited by Gary McCoy, 17 August 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Tweet from LouDPhillips today:

LouDPhillips: Woohoo! It's official! #Longmire gets 13 eps next season! Now you'll get Longermire...or Longmore...whichever works for you!

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Tweet from LouDPhillips today:

Now there's an upstanding bear!

One early ep I was watching looked like it was shot in The Plaza. Anyone know? Camera angles looked like they were chosen to not reveal location- same when they're out driving- Mtn ranges in b/g, but hardly ever roadside views.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

I like the show. It is quite different than the big city cop shows that I watch a lot of.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#37 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I like the show. It is quite different than the big city cop shows that I watch a lot of.

I love Longmire and have stopped watching all of the big city cop shows that I once did over the past few years mznsEcZlM2I

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#38 ONLINE   dhaze

dhaze

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

When I saw the preview for the show I did set it to record. I am glad I did, I watched the first couple of episodes then my wife wanted to start watching it so we started from the first one, and really glad we did. Great show and look forward to season 2.
HR34-700, HR24-200, H24-100, H23-600; 50" Vizio Plasma 720p, 40" Samsung LCD 1080p, 37" LG LCD 1080p, 32" Vizio LCD 1080p; Choice Ultimate + HD Extra Pack & WHDVR, Slimline-3, DECA, CCK

#39 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Now that season 3 of Longmire has wrapped, there is uncertainty as to whether A&E will order a rth season due to declining viewership. Cast member Lou Diamond Phillips (Henry) is urging viewers to tweet @A&E  vefore September to urge them to continue the series. Ratings for the third season:

http://tvseriesfinal...e-ratings-32855

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#40 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Now that season 3 of Longmire has wrapped, there is uncertainty as to whether A&E will order a rth season due to declining viewership. Cast member Lou Diamond Phillips (Henry) is urging viewers to tweet @A&E  vefore September to urge them to continue the series. Ratings for the third season:
http://tvseriesfinal...e-ratings-32855

I am sure that the three and a half million who watch this show would preferred another reality show. In an era of five hundred or more channels I would hope that they will find a home for it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...