Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV unable to reach an agreement with Diversified Communications

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Here we go again.

http://directvpromis...cations-update/

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., June 5, 2012 – After ignoring requests not to disrupt customers’ programming, Diversified Communications last night took away its three local broadcast stations from DIRECTV customers in an attempt to force DIRECTV to accept onerous terms on a new programming contract. Diversified is demanding more than 300 percent what they currently receive, well beyond the same payments for any local broadcast stations of similar popularity and reach.

Diversified Communications includes:
WABI (CBS) Bangor, ME Ch. 5
CW (CW) Bangor, ME Ch. 14
WCJB (ABC) Gainesville, FL Ch. 20

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

At this rate, stations will price themselves out of the market and go dark. If nobody is watching them, they can't sell advertising and will go under.

Not a smart strategy it would seem....content provider greed yet again (300%?).

This also happens at Dish, it happens at Comcast...greed greed greed.

You're right Draconis..."here we go again..."
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Personally, I'd give them a raise just for their name alone:

Diversified Communications

I LOVE that! Just not 300% worth of course... ;)

~Alan

#4 OFFLINE   kenhilton

kenhilton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

from what data I can gather(as good as it is) there is about 250,000 people in the Bangor DMA of that 37% get CBS & CW from Directv. So about 92,500 people are not seeing any advertising...thats got to hurt. It was over 2 years before an agreement could be made to broadcast CBS in HD thru TWC here. Sounds like they are up to more games...:nono:

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

This also happens at Dish, it happens at Comcast...greed greed greed.

I hear this a lot, but DIRECTV and TWC would seem to be the reigning champs of LIL disputes.

http://www.deadline....rriage-dispute/

Of course when DIRECTV does it, it is for the good of humankind. The other MVPD's are accused of being cheap and/or greedy for even talking about negotiations.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

Any idea how much they are paying now?

#7 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Remember the days when Broadcast TV lived off commercial ad revenue? Why does it feel like these networks get 95% of their revenue from companies like Directv and Comcast and 5% from ads? It feels like these networks are having their cake and eating it too.

Of course the consumer doesn't help either because if the channel goes dark they threaten Directv/Dish/etc.. thus giving most of the bargaining power to the Networks.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Spring/Summer is usually the season of disputes unfortunately.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Awesome. Hopefully many more to come. They can all go dark from now to the end of time. Good riddance.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

I hear this a lot, but DIRECTV and TWC would seem to be the reigning champs of LIL disputes.

Of course when DIRECTV does it, it is for the good of humankind. The other MVPD's are accused of being cheap and/or greedy for even talking about negotiations.

That site is a very incomplete list if it's based on "the industry".

I don't think anyone would say that these are good for anyone really. However it's just becoming "the norm" because content providers know customer's won't care who's fault it is they just blame who they pay.

Edited by Shades228, 05 June 2012 - 08:02 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Awesome. Hopefully many more to come. They can all go dark from now to the end of time. Good riddance.

I would just rather have the companies become to make fair deals that everyone can agree with.

#12 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

Remember the days when Broadcast TV lived off commercial ad revenue?

It's kind of ironic that the lower their ratings go the more valuable they think their programming is.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

You're learning...

Any entity that results in brining down the insanely greedy prices by content sources to consumer users is indeed "good for humankind". DirecTV just happens to do with more success.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

I don't understand how these stations have much leverage at all when most people should be able to get them OTA. So if the station is removed, it's really just a percentage of D* subscribers who would really lose the channel, probably just the people in the grade B contour.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

So if the station is removed, it's really just a percentage of D* subscribers who would really lose the channel, probably just the people in the grade B contour.

Remembering that DIRECTV doesn't include OTA capability in their current offerings, most of those in the other OTA contours lose coverage as well.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

DirecTV just happens to do with more success.

Name one network or channel that DIRECTV has stood up to for more than a day or two (leaving out Versus as a given). Success is represented by decisive victory, not simply caving to avoid a takedown.

Swimming in the purple drink?

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Name one network or channel that DIRECTV has stood up to for more than a day or two (leaving out Versus as a given). Success is represented by decisive victory, not simply caving to avoid a takedown.

Have you already forgotten the four day outage of Tribune stations in April?

#18 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Standing up to these people is for the good of the customer. People continually forget the basic law of business that has been around since the first business began; overhead + profit margin = what the consumer pays. Channel rates go up > overhead goes up > customer pays more.

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Standing up to these people is for the good of the customer. People continually forget the basic law of business that has been around since the first business began; overhead + profit margin = what the consumer pays. Channel rates go up > overhead goes up > customer pays more.

Exactly, if DirecTV didn't stand up to these demands our rates would be going up $20-30 dollars a month every year instead of $5.

Have you never negotiated for anything in your life? You always start high so you have room to come down. If you start to low and your first offer gets accepted then you probably just lost money.

For example if you want to sell a TV on Craigslist do you list it for what you actually want, or do you list it higher? I would list it higher, cause you know people are going to offer you less than what you list it for. Then you can just accept the highest offer. Say I want $700 for the TV, I'm going to list it for $800. That way if someone offers $800 or $750 I actually make more then I really want, but if my highest offer is $700 then I still get what I wanted. If my highest offer is $650 I don't sell it. If I list it for $700 and someone calls up right away and offers $700, where they would have been willing to pay $800 or $750 I just lost money that I could have made.

The problem comes when you have unreal expectations like I have seen sometimes. You might find a used TV that is on Craigslist for $500, but you can buy the exact same TV on Amazon new for $400. You contact the person and tell them that and they won't budge off their price of $500 cause they paid $600. That person has unreal expectations.

The same thing happens here. Diversified finds out that Fox in NY just got a 300% increase in their price to DirecTV so they figure they can get 300% too. What they fail to realize is that Fox is more popular than the CW, and LA is a lot bigger market than Bangor, ME. Expecting to get the same kind of increase is unreasonable.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Which is it? They can't reach agreement or that they are always in agreement?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...