Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV unable to reach an agreement with Diversified Communications

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

Unfortunately I've tried just about every OTA antenna that looks reasonable in the store and I still can't pick up signal on the most important locals to me very well.

What's the problem? Trees, distance, or buildings/homes? Are you talking about HD signals?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I dismissed it because it doesn't support the argument that DIRECTV is fighting particularly hard to combat escalating costs. Rather, it is a textbook example of one company trying to railroad another into a contract before all the details are ironed out.

DIRECTV claimed that they thought that they had come to an agreement (and issued a press release stating as much) when they hadn't. If they had negotiated in good faith, it probably would have been resolved quicker.

You are changing the "rules" here. I gave you exactly what you asked for, an example of a station that Directv stood up to for more than a day or two. Now that I have provided it, you say "it doesn't support the argument that DIRECTV is fighting particularly hard to combat escalating costs". That's not what you asked for. You must be one of those slight of hand magicians that most people can't see what they are doing. I'm not most people!

#53 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Tv 20, the abc feed is a big deal around the 3 counties around Gainesville FL. A very mad friend phoned a csr and they advised her to go hd ota as both Direct and Dish are willing to now pull chan feeds for the agreement line. So looks like Charlie has taught Direct that the bottom line means dollars. It may be bad for subs who want certain chan and can't get them because they are locked into a 2 yr agreement with the providers.

#54 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

What's the problem? Trees, distance, or buildings/homes? Are you talking about HD signals?

Yes. I don't know. I've had a problem with the old HDTV no matter where I lived. The new one might be better if I didn't live (I guess) so far away from the towers. It constantly buffers. I've tried turning the antenna, increasing strength, decreasing it, plugging it in, etc and nothing improves. I can pick up some channels but the main 3 I want, CBS, NBC, and Fox I can't get. I also found for whatever reason plugging the antenna in makes the signal worse which I do not understand.

#55 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Tv 20, the abc feed is a big deal around the 3 counties around Gainesville FL. A very mad friend phoned a csr and they advised her to go hd ota as both Direct and Dish are willing to now pull chan feeds for the agreement line. So looks like Charlie has taught Direct that the bottom line means dollars. It may be bad for subs who want certain chan and can't get them because they are locked into a 2 yr agreement with the providers.

Ah yes, TV 20. When I was a kid in the 80s my grandparents had a home in Newberry they'd go to. No cable, just antenna. That's about the only channel you could get. I remember watching Happy Days and Tic Tac Dough on it!

#56 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

I am surprised some don't think Direct TV thought they had an agreement, along with the person they were dealing with when it was made. I too thought it was clear it wasn't until it got to the creditors that it was decided the person doing the negotiating shouldn't have been or shouldn't have agreed to anything. And who's fault is that, Direct TV or the company who had the guy negotiating?

And the comment above, you are free to believe whatever your local tells you, but with more than even just Direct TV and Dish in these disputes, I'm not going to believe them.
And no one will convince me Direct TV would "pull" a local during negotiations.

#57 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

I also found for whatever reason plugging the antenna in makes the signal worse which I do not understand.

If you are getting an OTA signal with no antenna plugged in, yet get a worse signal when the antenna IS plugged in, then you are so close to the transmitter the signal is multipathing off objects around your house and canceling itself out. In cases like that, a SMALL unamplified indoor yagi antenna hooked through a step attenuator usually will allow good signal.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#58 OFFLINE   kenhilton

kenhilton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Not sure how long this has been but would guess within the last month or so. CW out of Bangor , at least OTA, is now in HD. maybe when a new agreement is reached it will be added in HD on Directv. It appears to still be a CW+ station though...

#59 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Personally, I'd give them a raise just for their name alone:

Diversified Communications

I LOVE that! Just not 300% worth of course... ;)

~Alan

Funny! I was just going to say the opposite. When I read the title the first thing I said to myself was, "Who in the heck is Diversified Communications?" Followed by, "I would demand money from them just for that name alone. It sounds like company name that they would use on the TV show, Fringe."

#60 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Not sure how long this has been but would guess within the last month or so. CW out of Bangor , at least OTA, is now in HD. maybe when a new agreement is reached it will be added in HD on Directv. It appears to still be a CW+ station though...

I've already resigned myself to the fact that they may never come to an agreement.

#61 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Looks like the wait is over, DIRECTV just posted that the channels are back online.

http://directvpromis...cations-update/

#62 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Now our customers can go back to being informed and entertained by these local stations and not antagonized by them.

I love it. I wish I could respond like that in reference to some of the organizations I have to deal with :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...