Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV unable to reach an agreement with Diversified Communications

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Given that very few people will ever know the details of said contract it's hard to state who folds and who doesn't with these. There could be all sorts of issues in an agreement not just price.

All companies are starting to have their share of blackouts of programming. I could name some but it really doesn't matter because we never know who "wins".

Maybe, but I do tend to believe it was Directv that caved big time to Fox over the RSNs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Anyone who has bought a new television since 2007 and lives in the grade A contour does not need OTA capibility from DirecTV. I get ten stations OTA (including two from a neighboring DMA) plus all of the subchannels without using the DirecTV equipment. I can only get one subchannel (one of the two subchannels from my local PBS station) from DirecTV.

The only thing I would loose if DirecTV quit carrying my locals would be the ability to record them on my HR21. I watch the sub channels more than I watch the main channels, and I cannot record them anyway. My local CBS affiliate relegates the CBS SEC game of the week to 5.2, and the SEC network is on 17.2. The only programs I watch on the main network channels are NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles on CBS and Bones on Fox. I used to watch Missing on ABC and The Finder on Fox, but both of those have been cancelled. I think the last thing I watched on NBC was JAG, before they dropped it and it was picked up by CBS.

Unfortunately I've tried just about every OTA antenna that looks reasonable in the store and I still can't pick up signal on the most important locals to me very well.

#43 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

Get your antennas out, I feel bad for those people. Diversified Communications are in the wrong and people will find a way to get the channels. The AM-21 tuner can still get it...

#44 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

This channel is still not available. It's unfortunate that DirecTV is too cheap to provide an antenna solution in their standard boxes. I either have to buy a stack of AM21's for all my TVs or go without a major network.

I am quite sure this dispute is about less than 5 cents of my $120 a month bill, but DirecTV loves screwing over customers to prove a point.

I'm giving them a couple more days and then I am changing providers...

And that next provider will have the same problem when their contract is up.

Have you read the news about this dispute? They are asking a 300% increase. We don't know the exact numbers of course in dollars, but ANYTHING that is getting a 300% price increase is ridiculous. That is your $4 gallon of gas suddenly costing you $12 a gallon.

I am totally on the side of DirecTV, and ANY OTHER provider on these kinds of issues. TV stations have been bullying them for years now, and are demanding ever more ridiculous price increases.

A carriage dispute is no reason to change providers, you are not going to avoid any disputes that way.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#45 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

G4.

G4, by most accounts, was simply dropped for lack of interest. DIRECTV would seem to have no intention of bringing it back.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

You asked for an example and I provided it. You dismissed it. Who is drinking the kool aid?

I dismissed it because it doesn't support the argument that DIRECTV is fighting particularly hard to combat escalating costs. Rather, it is a textbook example of one company trying to railroad another into a contract before all the details are ironed out.

DIRECTV claimed that they thought that they had come to an agreement (and issued a press release stating as much) when they hadn't. If they had negotiated in good faith, it probably would have been resolved quicker.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#47 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

Unfortunately I've tried just about every OTA antenna that looks reasonable in the store and I still can't pick up signal on the most important locals to me very well.

You cannot go by looks, you need to go by what www.tvfool.com tells you will work

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

DIRECTV claimed that they thought that they had come to an agreement (and issued a press release stating as much) when they hadn't. If they had negotiated in good faith, it probably would have been resolved quicker.

You have no basis for asserting good faith or lack thereof on either party's side.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

I dismissed it because it doesn't support the argument that DIRECTV is fighting particularly hard to combat escalating costs. Rather, it is a textbook example of one company trying to railroad another into a contract before all the details are ironed out.

It was stated clearly that the reason the deal got rebuked, after the press release, was due to the creditors declining the offer after the companies had come to a tentative agreement. Then days later the creditors chose to accept the offer.

Perhaps you missed the press release DIRECTV put out in public:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Apr 04, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV and Tribune have reached a retransmission consent deal for DIRECTV to continue carrying all of Tribune’s local stations and WGN America for the next five years. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We’re pleased that Tribune and their creditors now recognize that all DIRECTV wanted from day one was to pay fair market rates for their channels,” said Derek Chang, executive vice president of Content, Strategy and Development, DIRECTV. “It’s unfortunate that Tribune was willing to hold our customers hostage in an attempt to extract excessive rates, but in the end we reached a fair deal at market rates similar to what we originally agreed to on March 29. On behalf of our customers, we are very happy to close the deal and put this behind us.”

Tribune restored all of their local signals and WGN America to DIRECTV customers at approximately 9 p.m. ET.

Five million American homes blacked out from their local broadcaster cries out for an examination in Washington, D.C of the decades old telecom law that encourages these impasses.

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV DTV -1.47% is one of the world’s leading providers of digital television entertainment services delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry leading customer service to 32 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 19.9 million customers access to more than 170 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, Emmy-award winning technology and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for 11 years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to 12 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 60 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com .

SOURCE: DIRECTV

Source: http://www.marketwat...nk=MW_news_stmp
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

You have no basis for asserting good faith or lack thereof on either party's side.

No kidding.

It was stated clearly that the reason the deal got rebuked, after the press release, was due to the creditors declining the offer after the companies had come to a tentative agreement. Then days later the creditors chose to accept the offer.

Perhaps you missed the press release DIRECTV put out in public:

Source: http://www.marketwat...nk=MW_news_stmp

Apparently some other folks only know what they know based on what they read on the Internet... ;):D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#51 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

What's the problem? Trees, distance, or buildings/homes? Are you talking about HD signals?

#52 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

You are changing the "rules" here. I gave you exactly what you asked for, an example of a station that Directv stood up to for more than a day or two. Now that I have provided it, you say "it doesn't support the argument that DIRECTV is fighting particularly hard to combat escalating costs". That's not what you asked for. You must be one of those slight of hand magicians that most people can't see what they are doing. I'm not most people!

#53 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Tv 20, the abc feed is a big deal around the 3 counties around Gainesville FL. A very mad friend phoned a csr and they advised her to go hd ota as both Direct and Dish are willing to now pull chan feeds for the agreement line. So looks like Charlie has taught Direct that the bottom line means dollars. It may be bad for subs who want certain chan and can't get them because they are locked into a 2 yr agreement with the providers.

#54 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

What's the problem? Trees, distance, or buildings/homes? Are you talking about HD signals?

Yes. I don't know. I've had a problem with the old HDTV no matter where I lived. The new one might be better if I didn't live (I guess) so far away from the towers. It constantly buffers. I've tried turning the antenna, increasing strength, decreasing it, plugging it in, etc and nothing improves. I can pick up some channels but the main 3 I want, CBS, NBC, and Fox I can't get. I also found for whatever reason plugging the antenna in makes the signal worse which I do not understand.

#55 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Tv 20, the abc feed is a big deal around the 3 counties around Gainesville FL. A very mad friend phoned a csr and they advised her to go hd ota as both Direct and Dish are willing to now pull chan feeds for the agreement line. So looks like Charlie has taught Direct that the bottom line means dollars. It may be bad for subs who want certain chan and can't get them because they are locked into a 2 yr agreement with the providers.

Ah yes, TV 20. When I was a kid in the 80s my grandparents had a home in Newberry they'd go to. No cable, just antenna. That's about the only channel you could get. I remember watching Happy Days and Tic Tac Dough on it!

#56 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

I am surprised some don't think Direct TV thought they had an agreement, along with the person they were dealing with when it was made. I too thought it was clear it wasn't until it got to the creditors that it was decided the person doing the negotiating shouldn't have been or shouldn't have agreed to anything. And who's fault is that, Direct TV or the company who had the guy negotiating?

And the comment above, you are free to believe whatever your local tells you, but with more than even just Direct TV and Dish in these disputes, I'm not going to believe them.
And no one will convince me Direct TV would "pull" a local during negotiations.

#57 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

I also found for whatever reason plugging the antenna in makes the signal worse which I do not understand.

If you are getting an OTA signal with no antenna plugged in, yet get a worse signal when the antenna IS plugged in, then you are so close to the transmitter the signal is multipathing off objects around your house and canceling itself out. In cases like that, a SMALL unamplified indoor yagi antenna hooked through a step attenuator usually will allow good signal.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#58 OFFLINE   kenhilton

kenhilton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Not sure how long this has been but would guess within the last month or so. CW out of Bangor , at least OTA, is now in HD. maybe when a new agreement is reached it will be added in HD on Directv. It appears to still be a CW+ station though...

#59 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Personally, I'd give them a raise just for their name alone:

Diversified Communications

I LOVE that! Just not 300% worth of course... ;)

~Alan

Funny! I was just going to say the opposite. When I read the title the first thing I said to myself was, "Who in the heck is Diversified Communications?" Followed by, "I would demand money from them just for that name alone. It sounds like company name that they would use on the TV show, Fringe."

#60 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Not sure how long this has been but would guess within the last month or so. CW out of Bangor , at least OTA, is now in HD. maybe when a new agreement is reached it will be added in HD on Directv. It appears to still be a CW+ station though...

I've already resigned myself to the fact that they may never come to an agreement.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...