Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recent HR34 install questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

I had an HR34 installed on Friday. I already had an HR22, R22 (HD), and an H23. So in theory, I should have a total of 10 tuners available. Unfortunately, I wasn't home during the installation so I couldn't keep an eye on what was going on.

Here's my problem:

Both the R22 and HR22 were changed by the installation tech to only have one tuner enabled. I came to to the home to find he didn't install a SWM 16 as I thought he would and instead left the original SWM 8. According to my wife, he said adding equipment that would enable additional tuners (the SWM 16) would disable the whole home DVR service. I am more than certain this is untrue, who is correct? Either way, another tech is coming out this Friday to hopefully install a SWM 16.

If I do end up getting a SWM 16 installed will additional cables be run from my dish? I currently have a single line going from the dish to the SWM 8.

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

The installer either didn't know, or lied to get out of there faster. You'll need a SWM-16 and won't need any additional cables.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

You don't have an SWM8. You have an SWM LNB at the dish, and one line running to an SWS8 splitter.
To support all the tuners, the tech sholuld have replaced the LNB with a non-SWM LNB, run three extra cables from the dish (four in total) and installed an SWM16 multiswitch and associated power inserter. That is the correct install. Hopefully that is what will be installed on the new tech visit.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

You don't have an SWM8. You have an SWM LNB at the dish, and one line running to an SWS8 splitter.

Good catch, missed that part about only 1 line.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

I stand corrected. Thank you both for the great info.

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

when the tech installs the SWM16, get him to connect the HR34 to one of the SWM16 outputs (no splitters) and then the other three to a splitter on the second output (my guess is he will use the SWS8 splitter you already have - he could use an SWS4 which would be better, but the SWS8 will give you some expansion capability). That's the way to get the best signal level to each tuner.

#7 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Tech is a bum and didn't do his job right. Now some poor service tech is gonna have to go out and do what he should of done in the first place. Call in and let them know what the deal is
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

spam firewall