Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish coming to install Hopper & Joeys. Any Tips or Warnings?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BarneyC

BarneyC

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Just wondering if I have overlooked something. I will replace three 722's and one 612 with two Hoppers and 4 Joeys.

Thanks!

Barney

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Figure on 3-6 hours, do not rush your installer he/she is under enough pressure as it is. Your install may need to be completely redone, the dish possibly moved because it is not secure, etc. None of this should cost you anything but time, trust them to do their job. Your old receivers will need to be taken out, the cable behind them in most cases will need to be gotten to so anything fragile and expensive should be taken down. The Hoppers generates a good bit of heat when operating, have them put in a place they can properly ventilate. Good luck, I'm sure you will be happy when all is said and done:)

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,347 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

I would recommend to read sticky threads about experiences of many installs ion the particular forum ... It's mandatory step before ask any question. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   Worn

Worn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

This is the same setup that I have. You will love it. The only problem that I had was the dish employed put up a temporary mount, saying the permanent one would need to be done on a separate appointment. No one showed up or even called on the second appointment. On the third, an independent installer got the job done. He said that the dish employees are lazy and will do whatever they can to just put up a temporary mount.
You also will need to figure which hopper you will link with which Joey. Soon the hoppers will be able to communicate with each other and things will be really nice.

#5 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

My guy didn't run a ground from the dish, should I call him back?

#6 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Dish Network will generate a trouble call and you get a free tech visit if the time on your VCR is blinking, and I'm only being somewhat facetious. Just call them, in this case the tech deserves it.

#7 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Grounds are WAY over rated.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

spam firewall