Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

But will it run 9 tvs???

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   msmith6869

msmith6869

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ok, here is my current setup. I have 3 VIP 722s right now. One at each of my main TV areas where I wanted HD and surround sound (living room, keeping room and man cave). Each of the 3 receivers are then used (via tuner 2 in a mirrored setup) to power two other TVs. Granted TV 2 and 3 of each receiver always see the same channel. I did this because I have 9 TV locations total with kids rooms and all.

I needed a receiver at the 3 main spots to have HD and optical audio for my surround receiver at those 3 places. The other 6 just plug into the wall via coax and are SD only.

It sounds like with the Hopper/Joey setup, I could get HD at every TV, not just the ones I can physically plug into my 722s via HDMI or Component.

So, would I have to have 2 or 3 Hoppers? And how many Joeys? Could I put a Hopper in my living room and then run the other 4 downstairs TVs via Joeys? Or would I have to have 3 Hoppers (like I do 722s now) with 2 Joeys off of each Hopper.

Maybe I have too many different TV spots to make this feasible, but would love to hear folks feedback on my situation. Thanks much.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

You're looking at a metric ton of equipment fees. $56 a month to be exact, whether you use 2 or 3 hoppers and the rest Joeys. You'd also have to buy Hopper 2 and 3 outright.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Call CSR, tell them how many HD TV sets you have, how many channels you want to record simultaneously - they will give the count of H and J, plus you'll get install price and monthly fee.
That's only place to get it all.

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Ok, here is my current setup. I have 3 VIP 722s right now. One at each of my main TV areas where I wanted HD and surround sound (living room, keeping room and man cave). Each of the 3 receivers are then used (via tuner 2 in a mirrored setup) to power two other TVs. Granted TV 2 and 3 of each receiver always see the same channel. I did this because I have 9 TV locations total with kids rooms and all.

I needed a receiver at the 3 main spots to have HD and optical audio for my surround receiver at those 3 places. The other 6 just plug into the wall via coax and are SD only.

It sounds like with the Hopper/Joey setup, I could get HD at every TV, not just the ones I can physically plug into my 722s via HDMI or Component.

So, would I have to have 2 or 3 Hoppers? And how many Joeys? Could I put a Hopper in my living room and then run the other 4 downstairs TVs via Joeys? Or would I have to have 3 Hoppers (like I do 722s now) with 2 Joeys off of each Hopper.

Maybe I have too many different TV spots to make this feasible, but would love to hear folks feedback on my situation. Thanks much.

Each Hopper can support up to three Joeys. For this type of setup, it sounds like you would need three Hoppers and six Joeys. If you would like for me to go over upgrade costs with you, please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can assist you further. Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   msmith6869

msmith6869

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

RaymondG, I cannot PM you because it says I must have 5 posts. I only signed up last night to be able to ask this question. Is there another way I can contact you?

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,817 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

RaymondG, I cannot PM you because it says I must have 5 posts. I only signed up last night to be able to ask this question. Is there another way I can contact you?

Just post some more. Look around the Dish forums and ask some questions.
Or maybe comment on something. You may learn quite a bit.:)

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#7 OFFLINE   msmith6869

msmith6869

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

3 posts down, 2 to go

#8 OFFLINE   msmith6869

msmith6869

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

4 down 1 to go

#9 OFFLINE   msmith6869

msmith6869

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

AAAHHH, the magic 5

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Now, after you did send your PM to DIRT guy/gal, please, cleanup after yourself - delete the garbage. ;) Post#6 suggest more intelligent approach. hehe

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,817 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

Now, after you did send your PM to DIRT guy/gal, please, cleanup after yourself - delete the garbage. ;) Post#6 suggest more intelligent approach. hehe

Yea, I gues he didn't want to research.:lol:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#12 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

You're looking at (at least) $100-$200 in upgrade fees and you will have to purchase the third Hopper for full price. Not sure if Dish will provide the switches (DPP44 + DPP33) plus the additional Solo Node required for the third hopper. I started out leasing 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys ($200 upgrade fee) and I have purchased a third Hopper that will arrive soon. DPP44 + DPP33 + Hopper + Solo Node was $600 total (including shipping) and that's with the Hopper only being $400 (MSRP is $450.) As for the Joeys needed I guess Dish will supply them for free (not sure about 6 though) and they will all be $7 a month a piece, along with the 3 Hoppers being $7 a month. I'm debating on whether or not I want to return my extra Joey when the third Hopper gets here, to save the $7 a month.

#13 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

You're looking at (at least) $100-$200 in upgrade fees and you will have to purchase the third Hopper for full price. Not sure if Dish will provide the switches (DPP44 + DPP33) plus the additional Solo Node required for the third hopper. I started out leasing 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys ($200 upgrade fee) and I have purchased a third Hopper that will arrive soon. DPP44 + DPP33 + Hopper + Solo Node was $600 total (including shipping) and that's with the Hopper only being $400 (MSRP is $450.) As for the Joeys needed I guess Dish will supply them for free (not sure about 6 though) and they will all be $7 a month a piece, along with the 3 Hoppers being $7 a month. I'm debating on whether or not I want to return my extra Joey when the third Hopper gets here, to save the $7 a month.

the first receiver has no monthly fees

#14 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

the first receiver has no monthly fees

The first Hopper has a $6 DVR, $4 Whole Home fee and a $7 lease fee for the first required Joey for a total of $17. I was incorrect about the first Hopper being an additional $7 a month though.

Edited by 3HaloODST, 11 June 2012 - 05:12 PM.

spam firewall